B6000 Fan Belt

chyduke

Equipment
B6000E
Aug 10, 2015
Lead, South Dakota
I'm sure this is a "well, duh" question for everyone here but me, but how do I replace the fan belt on my B6000E? It looks like there isn't enough clearance between the crankshaft pulley and the frame to get it out. Of course, I could just cut it and slide it off, but that leaves me with wondering how to get the new one on. Please tell me I don't have to take off the front axle and frame assembly just to change a belt.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm sure this is a "well, duh" question for everyone here but me, but how do I replace the fan belt on my B6000E? It looks like there isn't enough clearance between the crankshaft pulley and the frame to get it out. Of course, I could just cut it and slide it off, but that leaves me with wondering how to get the new one on. Please tell me I don't have to take off the front axle and frame assembly just to change a belt.
funny you should mention this too !!

I was checking my B7100 out and doing a little routine maintenance looked at the fan belt, it has more cracks on it than the San Andreas Fault!:eek:

So I bought a new one from Messicks....

But I am a little stymied on how to get the belt around all that fun stuff! Doing a little research - seems it is best to start with hood off and then pull radiator forward slightly. Not sure but the same belt is used on both the 6100 and the 7100 series. Not sure about the 6000. I am sure someone here has the K.I.S.S. method !! ....and yes, I too want to hear it !!!:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On mine (z751a motor), you pull the belt gaurd on the alternator side of the motor. Loosen the alternator, then work the old belt off the pulleys. Spin the fan working the belt around the fins one at a time till it's free, then remove. To reinstall, you reverse the process. It's tight, so be careful not to ding the fins on the radiator.

Course, the easiest way to remove the old belt, is just to cut it :D

chyduke

Equipment
B6000E
Aug 10, 2015
Lead, South Dakota
Anyone have a user manual? I have a shop repair manual and a parts manual, but I'm sure belt replacement is described in the user manual which, of course, I do not have.

I also suspect that when my tractor was new, there was enough clearance. I haven't looked at it too closely, but I'm guessing the engine mounts may have compressed a bit since 1977, leaving too little clearance between the crankshaft pulley and frame. Just a thought...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You sure it has motor mounts? On most of these, the frame & block are bolted directly to each other.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Anyone have a user manual? I have a shop repair manual and a parts manual, but I'm sure belt replacement is described in the user manual which, of course, I do not have.

I also suspect that when my tractor was new, there was enough clearance. I haven't looked at it too closely, but I'm guessing the engine mounts may have compressed a bit since 1977, leaving too little clearance between the crankshaft pulley and frame. Just a thought...
file:///C:/Users/us/Downloads/Kubota%20Tractor%20B6000%20Operators%20Manual.pdf

chyduke

Equipment
B6000E
Aug 10, 2015
Lead, South Dakota
I finally got the new belt on. I'm not sure if the way I did it is how it is supposed to be done, but it worked. I ended up putting a jack under the lip where the engine meets the transmission. Then I removed the hood and all but the 2 rearmost bolts that secure the frame to the engine. After giving the jack a few pumps, I could see enough clearance between the crankshaft pulley and the frame to get the belt off the pulley. Next, I removed the fan shroud and I was able to work the belt around and off the fan. Then, just assembled everything in reverse order. Hopefully I won't have replace the belt again for at least another decade :eek:.