Tell me about the decompression valve.

sitdwnandhngon

Equipment
B7100
Aug 25, 2015
NY, USA
Mine had a frozen cable when I bought it, I cut the cable off and I can use the valve by hand right now, I needed it to bleed the lines the other day.

Just for the fun of it I used it to cold start and it seemed to start much better than normal by hitting the glow plugs, spinning it with the valve opened, and then closing at have about 1.5-2 seconds.

Is this a safe way to cold start, or maybe even a standard way?

I have had bikes, quads and saws with them before to make starting easier, but that's about it.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Mine had a frozen cable when I bought it, I cut the cable off and I can use the valve by hand right now, I needed it to bleed the lines the other day.

Just for the fun of it I used it to cold start and it seemed to start much better than normal by hitting the glow plugs, spinning it with the valve opened, and then closing at have about 1.5-2 seconds.

Is this a safe way to cold start, or maybe even a standard way?

I have had bikes, quads and saws with them before to make starting easier, but that's about it.
As you suggested, it makes cold starts easier. You glow the engine like normal, then pull out the decomp, turn the key, when the motor is running as fast as it will go, you release it, for a faster start. You don't want to use it a a means of stopping the engine, regularly, can damage things, thataway...:D:D

pmr49

Dec 13, 2012
Renton, WA
My B7100 decompression cable, frozen when I got it, but loosened up for a time with PB Blaster, broke. It helped on cold days. Anyone know the part number? Thanks.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
My B7100 decompression cable, frozen when I got it, but loosened up for a time with PB Blaster, broke. It helped on cold days. Anyone know the part number? Thanks.
take your's off and out of the dash. Go to your local mower dealer/repair place and match it with a similar pull cable set up (choke cable?). Install...... done. Auto Part place may have what you need as well.