sheared wheel bolt

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have a 2005 BX23, sheared the head off one of the rear wheel bolts.
The portion of the bolt remaining in the hub sticks out about a 1/4 inch and is almost flush at the back. I know if I clamp a vice grip on the 1/4 inch it will probably just mash the threads and not come out, and then won't go back in. What is the best option: drill it out, internal, external easy (not so w/my luck) out??
thanks in advance.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
These are my go to for broken bolts and studs before drilling and using an extractor. They are a combination pipe wrench/ channel locks. Got them off the snap on truck, were a little pricey. But have saved my butt more then once. They have one hell of a grip and rarely slip.

What I do is heat up around the stud to melt any rust or loctite, and then get on them with the pliers. The one in the pic is the medium sized pair. I have a larger pair and have removed studs that had 20 years of rust and snapped off with just enough meat left to get a bite on it. Pulled them out like butter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I have a 2005 BX23, sheared the head off one of the rear wheel bolts.
The portion of the bolt remaining in the hub sticks out about a 1/4 inch and is almost flush at the back. I know if I clamp a vice grip on the 1/4 inch it will probably just mash the threads and not come out, and then won't go back in. What is the best option: drill it out, internal, external easy (not so w/my luck) out??
thanks in advance.
If you have a welder, put a fairly thick washer over the stud (remove plating from washer) weld the washer to the stud, put a nut over the washer and weld let it cool then apply some heat to the hub and cross your fingers and it should come out. You can also drill it and use an easy out, start with about a 1/8 drill and be extra careful about having it perfectly center, then go up a few more drill sizes before trying an easy out. Just take your time and one method will work. Have fun Barry!

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
If all varieties of vice grips and stud pullers don't work,try this. Take a propane torch, and heat it to about 250 degrees F, then take a beeswax candle, and let the wax wick its way into the threads, and repeat trying with vice grips, etc. You could also take a muffler cutter whizzer wheel, and cut a groove across the stud, deep enough to insert a screwdriver, and try using that, to twist it out. Last option, take it to someone who has a mig welder, and have him weld a washer to the broken stud, then a nut to the washer. The heat from welding will help loosen, then you can just take a socket wrench and twist it right out.:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lots of things will work to get it out, just depends on the tools you have.

Probably the easiest would be as Diydave suggested, cut a slot in the end with a die grinder or dremel and use a screw driver. If you have a big screw driver with a square shaft you can use a wrench to turn the screw driver with a lot of torque. First, soak the remaining threads with some rust solvent. A 50/50 solution of Automatic Trans. fluid and Acetone (available at Wal-Mart).

If you have any left hand drills, you can get a center punch to get you started in the center with a small hole. Then step up to a larger size. Keep going larger, and soon the broken piece with get caught on the bit and come right out.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks all, given it sheared I didn't think the slot approach would work much better, I'll let you know how it goes! Anymore tricks, post on, I won't get to it until next weekend now ...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks all, given it sheared I didn't think the slot approach would work much better, I'll let you know how it goes! Anymore tricks, post on, I won't get to it until next weekend now ...
Make sure you do what DCat said - best stuff ever created

"A 50/50 solution of Automatic Trans. fluid and Acetone"

better than kroil, pb blaster.......

hellva mixture - highly flammable and will break down over time - mix what you need and then spray, wait a while , spray again. You will be surprised how well it unlocks rusted and ol' tightened nuts!:D:)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I've noticed that when one heats these things up near red hot and lets them cool the expansion effect of the heating sort of squishes the bolt some or expands the hub. But letting it cool it is amazing how loose things become. If one try doesn't do it, try again. Obviously keeping the center cool and heating the hub works, but is difficult to do.