Fuel for thought L3301

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I scored a 275 gallon heating oil tank off Craigslist for $75 and put a Tuthill hand pump in it. It's setting on steel I beam foundation next to the barn I store the tractor in.

Got the local off-road fuel guy to put a couple of hundred gallons in it when fuel was cheap ($2.25) and legally avoided all the state and federal road taxes. Dumped the recommended amount of fuel conditioner in it while he was filling it. It's been fine for a couple of years now.

Win-win-win IMHO, I get my fuel cheaper, no worries about spilling when filling and I didn't spend a fortune setting it up.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Shaun/Topes,

The upper hinge points on the FEL tower on the L3800. Your tractor must have some uppers as well... I have a meeting this morning but I'll try and get a pic for you guys.

I was gonna do a picto-project for the site but have been super busy lately and hobbled with tennis elbow (after roping up four 85 lb elastomeric roof coating buckets) and have been moving way slow. That's your life when you live in a "construction zone!!!"

I'll post a pic and de-confuse the situation!

:)

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
It you drive a diesel pickup truck a transfer tank with electric pump works great. The fuel doesn't have time to go bad because you're running it through the truck. And the tractor is easy to fill up with the nozzle. Ed B

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
These shaker siphons are the bee's knees when filling farm equipment.

Tractor supply, harbor freight, I keep one in all the vehicles and each shed.

Doc

OK; edit to add, maybe not at Tractor Supply

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Well, to ShaunBlake's point, I'd be doing what Tooljunkie said and just lift the fuel station up with the front bucket and let gravity do the work. I'm lazy so I'd just incorporate a couple of straps with caribeener type clasps to snap to the front bucket and 'lift'. Using the same system I'd put it in the bed of the pickup if it was still somewhat full, but if empty I'll just toss it in the truck and lift it out with the front bucket.

I am a very lazy person at heart.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I was gonna do a picto-project for the site but have been super busy lately and hobbled with tennis elbow (after roping up four 85 lb elastomeric roof coating buckets) and have been moving way slow...
"Danger, Will Robinson! The flight crew is invalid and unable to operate the landing gear!"

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Recognition to cavecreekray for his recommendation. I made this earlier. I use the siphon and just walk away.
erk! Looks like you have a 10+ gal tank, so that's safe enough -- IF the tank is empty enough.

But even with lightweight diesel, that can is gonna be pushing 40 pounds. Thanks God for youth and vigor!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
OK Guys... I put a lot of work into this.:D

The first pic shows the general idea. For the uninitiated to complex wood crafting, that is a 2x6. Once your fuel load is positioned on the beam, I use my finger to block the fuel spout until I rotate the fuel container and get the hose into the fuel tank and then I release. It's much easier on your back! And, you can get by with a board a lot shorter. Just sayin'!

Picture two shows the conflict on the L3800 with the instrument binnacle. When I actually make the "for real" fuel bridge, I'll sand out the 2x6 and relieve that area for less conflict and contact with the binnacle. Also, if you added a 16"x16" 1/2" ply section on top of the bridge, it would give you more "shelf" to sit on. As you can see, the square fuel can hangs over quite a way but it is well balanced. Your results may vary.

Picture three shows the FEL tower on the right side -I slid the bridge forward to see my tower detail. As you can see, this model has a pretty pronounced rectangular hole. Making a small block to fit inside this hole and attaching one on both end of the board would help lock the board in place while fueling.

Again, this idea may be adaptable to your machine. Sure helps me fuel and not strain my back for three jugs over five minutes.

(Just noticed! The paint fading on the FEL arms is apparent in the pictures as compared to the hood I repainted last year. The faded FEL arm almost looks like Kubota Orange I. That is what happens to tractors left outside...)

Attachments

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
OK Guys... I put a lot of work into this.:D

"Take a break and have a cold one, you've earned it!" - Stumpy Nubbs

The first pic shows the general idea. For the uninitiated to complex wood crafting, that is a 2x6.

It doesn't look that big... did you shrink the picture?

Once your fuel load is positioned on the beam, I use my finger to block the fuel spout until I rotate the fuel container and get the hose into the fuel tank and then I release. It's much easier on your back! ...

When do you lick your finger?

... When I actually make the "for real" fuel bridge, I'll sand out the 2x6 and relieve that area...

That's gonna be a lot of sanding! As a devotee of
... complex wood crafting ...
, wouldn't you use some kind of tool (you prolly know the names of the thingys).

... for less conflict and contact with the binnacle.

I hadn't thought of that! Will you need to have a mediator and negotiator on hand?

... Your results may vary...

Oh, you are the master of understatement!

Sure helps me fuel and not strain my back for three jugs over five minutes...

Pity the poor fuel crews who fill up your 737!

That is what happens to tractors left outside...

That makes me realize I really ought to do all my tractor work inside as well. <sigh>
Nice write-up, CCR, I expect I may be the only one who had trouble visualizing how you positioned the 'can' and poured the fuel.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Shaun,
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yesterday didn't go well. I punched a 1" gash pretty much to the kneecap in my right knee running around building cabinets for my barn. I was working in tight quarters while it was storming outside. The tractor was out in the rain but needed a wash anyway. Before folding up (after patching up my knee) I thought of getting some pics while the sun was out. Hence the "phoney-baloney" woodwork. I do plan to make a really nice version of this for my machine because it works so very well. I PROMISE to do a better job on the final version and I'll post pics too.

Speaking of jet refuelers...OMG! I tried that once and the nozzle and hose weigh about 80 lbs... then you have to hold it up over your head and try and cam-lock it into the refueling receptacle. There is a reason you don't see old guy or women refuelers. That takes some muscle!