B7100- B219 Loader Breather ???

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Has anyone replaced the Filler/ Breather Cap on the B219 Loader oil tank. I am having trouble finding a part number to get a replacement part.

The info from the original Filler/ Breather Cap was the following:
Nylon Filter Corp.
Hebron IL
P-3268-2

My Google searches have come up with nothing. I'm hoping the someone has found a suitable replacement that I can use.

Thanks, Dan

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I believe seanbarr did a rebuild of that loader a couple of years ago, but IIRC, he was able to clean and restore the filter. I suggest you read his posts (very thorough, with many pics and sources) and see if your questions are answered.

Here's his link; search through his posts.

There are other post threads on rebuilding the B219 hydraulics, so check through them too.

I'm hoping you can restore it and avoid having to replace it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Just about any 1/2" NPT breather cap will work, like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466920_200466920
Mine was missing completely (rag substituted) so I just made a new one with PVC fittings, SS screen, & AC filter material- in fact I made a second one for my B670 backhoe. (also rag substituted)
A couple of pics of the backhoe cap, not great pics, but enough for an idea of what we're talking about:

Attachments

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The "Northern Tool" cap is what you want. I have 2 B7100's with 219 loaders. Both have breather caps that look like the one Northern sells.

Lucky

Equipment
B7100dt and b6001
Feb 17, 2009
Northwoods, WI
I ended up using a replacement cap for a fuel oil tank. I maybe needed one fitting for adapting it, but everything was available at the local hardware store.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing that looks to be different from the stock filler/breather cap and the one from Northern is that the stock cap looks to have had square cut threads and the Northern one has taper cut threads.
While it will work just don't tighten it too much, just hand tight. ;)

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Just about any 1/2" NPT breather cap will work, like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466920_200466920
Mine was missing completely (rag substituted) so I just made a new one with PVC fittings, SS screen, & AC filter material- in fact I made a second one for my B670 backhoe. (also rag substituted)
A couple of pics of the backhoe cap, not great pics, but enough for an idea of what we're talking about:
Not putting down what you did in any way, but PVC and Oil don't mix well together. Anything petroleum will melt the PVC into the oil, take your same idea and change it out with black steel, copper, brass, or stainless steel. Galvanized pipe/fitings should also never be used with oil of any kind, flakes will get into the oil. Besides that, seems like a slick fix!

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
but PVC and Oil don't mix well together. Anything petroleum will melt the PVC into the oil,
Apparently not hydraulic oil. Mine have been on about 4 years, & the original ones I made (for a Case BH & a log splitter) are still in use after 35+ years. Come to think about it, I also built a oil breather/recovery bottle for a golf cart engine out of PVC. Are you sure you're no thinking of petroleum based solvents rather than petroleum based oils?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Apparently not hydraulic oil. Mine have been on about 4 years, & the original ones I made (for a Case BH & a log splitter) are still in use after 35+ years. Come to think about it, I also built a oil breather/recovery bottle for a golf cart engine out of PVC. Are you sure you're no thinking of petroleum based solvents rather than petroleum based oils?
Interesting! I was always educated to not use PVC with petroleum products or compounds and is in a 2 code books I have that regulate its use. One example example... Rectoseal #5 thread compound says on the back of the can not to use on PVC and other plastics because it's petroleum based. PVC doesn't like many chemicals even being in certain enviorments that can expose chemicals to the exterior, for example....soot from oil exhaust within a chimney will melt it and have to completely sleeve it with round metal duct to protect it. Any code book will flat out say not to use with oil.

Poly Propylene plastic can withstand a variety of different chemicals but is usually only used for lab sewer/vent piping. Chemical/oil pumps are sometimes made out of it.

Just my educated opinion, but feel free to do what ya want :D

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
A couple of chemical compatibility charts:
Your right, Charlotte pipe specs even say it does but only at a max temp of 73 deg F. I would have never guessed it was ok seeing that my code tells me not to. If I piped your oil tank to your boiler in PVC, an inspector would cut my license up lol, but Charlotte pipe says fuel oil Is comparable up to 73 deg. My question is....after 73 deg, what happens?

I'll shut up now :D

Here is the link to the tech data for Charlotte pipe plastics. Good reference for everyone if your piping something that will be moving fertilizer or chemicals. Etc...
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/Charlotte_Plastics_Tech_Manual.pdf

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
after 73 deg, what happens?
Apparently nothing- I've run the tractor in 110 F ambient temp, let alone how hot the oil & tank got during use, with no effect.
I suspect the difference may be related to the fact that fuel oil is more solvent than lube or hydraulic oil. I've been told that fuel oil is similar to diesel, and I've washed parts in diesel with good results, but washing parts in motor oil wouldn''t be very effective.
I also have some kind of pipe dope/sealant around here that has a caution about not using it on plastics. Again, I suspect that that is due to aromatic solvents that evaporate as the stuff cures- the dope itself is probably pretty benign once the solvents have gone, but they're worried about those solvents softening (or worse) the plastic.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Apparently nothing- I've run the tractor in 110 F ambient temp, let alone how hot the oil & tank got during use, with no effect.
I suspect the difference may be related to the fact that fuel oil is more solvent than lube or hydraulic oil. I've been told that fuel oil is similar to diesel, and I've washed parts in diesel with good results, but washing parts in motor oil wouldn''t be very effective.
I also have some kind of pipe dope/sealant around here that has a caution about not using it on plastics. Again, I suspect that that is due to aromatic solvents that evaporate as the stuff cures- the dope itself is probably pretty benign once the solvents have gone, but they're worried about those solvents softening (or worse) the plastic.
Your absolutely right! In my world... PVC to pipe something that is dangerous, flammable, or has a spill hazard is a bad idea because it's too easy to break PVC. Therefore we are taught... PVC+OIL=NO, water only just to keep it simple... It's also highly regulated in a commercial situation because of its flammability and the fumes from burning PVC :eek:. States differ on their regs but in MA it can only be used in a few certain situations. Met an electrican from PA that explained it the best...it all depends on how many people can be allowed to be killed by its burning fumes during a fire :eek:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
After rebuilding the cylinders on by B219 loader, I was filling the oil tank (with oily hands) and went to put on my homemade PVC breather cap, (also oily) it slipped from my hands, went flying, hit the concrete floor, (garage temp about 32 degrees F) and snapped off the threaded portion. It was not repairable, and I was 150miles from a major city, but only 50 miles from a small city. Off I go, & I found a breather cap at NAPA with the correct thread, but a larger outside diameter. I needed to use the tractor, so I bought it & added a PVC extension so it would clear the FEL arm. It works great, so I'll use it until I can find something that fits better.
It was $13 & change.
They also said they had the same cap with a 3/4" NPT, which would fit the B670 backhoe.

Attachments

Highpockets003

Aug 3, 2019
ABQ, NM

Attachments