D905 Motor

UtilaKen

Equipment
D905
Jan 23, 2015
Honduras
Hello all, I have a Kubota D 905 on a generator I just shipped to Honduras and It isnt wanting to start (which it did in Florida ) 9 months ago on a different set-up, so I have a 17 gal tank with a fuel return line that goes onto the (top) of the tank,, NO fuel dip stick tube... and I am not getting fuel to the 3 injectors,, someone mentioned to me that I need a tube to go on the return line to within a 1/2" off the bottom of the tank , this is why Im not getting fuel up to the injectors however I do have fuel to the bleeder nut..
Any thoughts on this is appreciated greatly ~
Thank you
Ken Hammer

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum. Sorry that I can't help but I am sure that one of the fine people here can.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to bleed all the injector lines, crack the lines at each injector and crank till fuel comes out then retighten.;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The genset i looked after was transported 100 miles each spring and fall,on rough gravel roads. Some years it was hard starting,a little bleeding at injectors is all it took. Check the wires at the fuel cutoff solenoid, it should activate when key comes on. Had a wire break from vibration.

UtilaKen

Equipment
D905
Jan 23, 2015
Honduras
Thank you all for the replies, I will bleed the injectors as mentioned , but I was wondering on my original question, IF indeed I need a "dip tube" inside my fuel tank ? or can the fuel return line just go on the top of the tank and drip fuel back in ?

Thank you in advance
Ken

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No I don't think it's required that the return be under the level of the fuel, it's not like it's going to suck fuel back in on the return side of things.;)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I too have run across this thought process of having the fuel return line set tight to the bottom of the tank.

From what I've been able to gather it's to create a 'liquid seal' such that the end of the line is always immersed in fuel. Supposedly, this way air can't somehow travel 'backward' up the fuel return line and air lock the injector(s).

Unless something weird is happening I think it would be somewhere between difficult to almost impossible for air in the return line to behave this way...but stranger things have happened.

Which kind of raises a question in my mind now that I think about it: does the fuel return line on Kubota engines (especially if used in stationary or skidded applications) have a mechanical check valve of some sort?

If nothing else works on the noted generator, extend the return line inside the tank and see if it somehow makes a difference.

I'd be real curious about the outcome.

Please post back your experiences--and comments--so we may all learn.

UtilaKen

Equipment
D905
Jan 23, 2015
Honduras
Hello to all again, well I have now found that the "rail" inside of the fuel solenoid isn't really moving thus not pumping fuel to the 3 injectors, does anyone have a Good Kubota mechanic and phone number I can call ? Possibly in Florida (remember I am in Honduras) I need to get this generator running ASAP. I just need to see if this is something that I can get to move and servicing myself? I guess it sitting for 15 months did not do it justice.
Thank you
Ken

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
By 'rail' do you mean the plunger rod that extends from the fuel cut-off solenoid and pushes or pulls a lever (think 'valve') that turns the fuel supply off and on?

Or do you mean 'rail' as in common rail injection system or the 'rack' as part of the injector pump?

If the fuel solenoid is giving you problems there should be a way to bypass it--electrically and / or mechanically--to turn the fuel 'on' and get 'er lit.

Search this Forum for 'fuel solenoid' and you'll find many problems and solutions: how to test, how to feed power to it, how to bypass it electrically, how to operate the fuel control 'valve' with (my favorite) a rope.

Try disconnecting the solenoid rod linkage and moving the 'valve' by hand.

Wish I knew more about that particular engine in your application; others here may.

Advise your progress and results so we may all learn.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Depends on how the 'rail' or plungers work. If they are physically cam driven, it is likely stuck. A good soak in some solvents to get rid of the build ups, along with some physical working of the mechanism will usually get it going again.

Ran across a fuel pump on a huge 6 cylinder Caterpillar engine (on a 100KW generator) that was stuck in the same manner, all the injection pressure pistons were stuck in the pressure mode so the cam just free spun. Soaked it in parts cleaner overnight and nylon brushed the heck out of the parts while they were still in the pump and manually worked each piston. An hour of effort paid off and all loosened up and began working again. That pump is still running a generator today, starts like a charm now.

UtilaKen

Equipment
D905
Jan 23, 2015
Honduras
Yes correct , the rail was stuck so we pulled the entire pump apart and currently soaking overnight, the plungers "were" stuck , probably from sitting for over a year. I HOPE I can getter back going without spending big dollars on a new inj pump....

UtilaKen

Equipment
D905
Jan 23, 2015
Honduras
Sorry to all for the late reply,,, Well we//me could not repair the F-IJ pump, so ordered and new one from the states ($650.00):eek: , had it shipped to honduras, installed it , then primed the sys, and ALL IS GOOD...She is running perfect Just wanted to update all you guys...
Thank you Ken H