Zennoh L1501 Starting problem

Zennoh L1501

Jan 22, 2015
Portugal
Hi all

I'm new here and i've a Zennoh L1501 as my username says.
I've a starting problem with my Zennoh L1501.
I was starting the tractor with the start switch and the started worked for a few seconds, and i switched it off as the tractor didn't start (not heated enough probably).

I heated the tractor a little more and when i turn the switch to start i heard an electric noise from the switch area and puff nothing.

The oil and charge lights stopped working and the tractor don't heat or start.

The electric cables under the wood are full with dust, maybe this is the cause?

I tried removing the steering wheel, to remove the dashboard and clean and check the cables, but had no luck removing it.

So i'm looking for a solution to start the tractor with some kind of bypass to the key and the switch.

I heard you guys are experts on the orange machines and i turn to your wisdom.

Greetings and regards from Portugal

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You shouldn't need to remove the steering wheel. There should be a couple bolts on each side of the dash to hold it in. You may have to disconnect the decompression cable and tach cable to get enough play to get in there to see what's going on. The rubber bushing on the dash around the steering column was giving me some fits when I went into mine

First thing to check before tearing into the dash is your battery cables. Check both ends of each cable and make sure they are clean, free of rust and corrosion and making good contact with the battery, frame on the ground wire and starter on the positive wire.

Check your fuses under the cover on your dash also.

And last, check your wiring where it crosses from one side of the tractor to the other. They cross in between the fuel tank and engine block. The wire on mine were run tight to the engine block and the coating on the wires melted causing a short to the glow plugs. Make sure and wiggle the wires. Mine looked fine but when I wiggled them I realized they were glued to the block. This also caused mine to blow fuses to the starter/glow plug switch :rolleyes:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum Zennoh.

Zennoh L1501

Jan 22, 2015
Portugal
You shouldn't need to remove the steering wheel. There should be a couple bolts on each side of the dash to hold it in. You may have to disconnect the decompression cable and tach cable to get enough play to get in there to see what's going on. The rubber bushing on the dash around the steering column was giving me some fits when I went into mine
I've removed the bolts and the dashboard is loose but i find it tidy to work.
I've not removed the decompression cable and tach cable(tachometer don't work). If i just pull them hard it will work or i need to do something else?
I'm a newbie at this things like tractors.
First thing to check before tearing into the dash is your battery cables. Check both ends of each cable and make sure they are clean, free of rust and corrosion and making good contact with the battery, frame on the ground wire and starter on the positive wire.
The contacts with the battery are good, as i've changed battery recently.

Check your fuses under the cover on your dash also.
I think this is ok too, i've managed to remove 2 wires connecting to them.

And last, check your wiring where it crosses from one side of the tractor to the other. They cross in between the fuel tank and engine block. The wire on mine were run tight to the engine block and the coating on the wires melted causing a short to the glow plugs. Make sure and wiggle the wires. Mine looked fine but when I wiggled them I realized they were glued to the block. This also caused mine to blow fuses to the starter/glow plug switch :rolleyes:
Some times the glows plugs didn't warm good and i had to use a wire from the battery positive to the glowing plugs to heat them. Maybe i've the same issue.

I will only be able to check the tractor again tomorrow.

Thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Tach cable unscrews. The easiest would be to disconnect from the engine side.

Decompression cable would be easiest to disconnect from the engine as well. I had to remove two bolts for a bracket that held the sheeth for the cable, and a screw clamp that held the cable wire itself. Then I was able to get enough slack in the dash to be able to check connections. It was still tight but manageable.

If you send me a pm with your email, I can send you work shop manual with a good wiring diagram. Only thing it doesn't show is the turn signal and horn wires.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My l1501 did the exact same thing. It was the battery negative cable where it bolted to frame. Took it off, cleaned cable and frame where it touched and a new bolt. Has been perfect since.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look by the starter for a fuse link that could be burnt, It will look like a wire.
If you need to start the tractor to move it just jump from the big +cable to the smaller wire on the other terminal. ;)

Zennoh L1501

Jan 22, 2015
Portugal
Welcome to the forum Zennoh.
Thanks

Tach cable unscrews. The easiest would be to disconnect from the engine side.

Decompression cable would be easiest to disconnect from the engine as well. I had to remove two bolts for a bracket that held the sheeth for the cable, and a screw clamp that held the cable wire itself. Then I was able to get enough slack in the dash to be able to check connections. It was still tight but manageable.

If you send me a pm with your email, I can send you work shop manual with a good wiring diagram. Only thing it doesn't show is the turn signal and horn wires.
Thanks for your tips, i've managed to remove the tach and the decompression cable(what does this decompression thing do?) from the engine side and now there's enough space to check the connections.

I've only cleaned the area, it was all dirty with dust and spilled fuel.

I've downloaded one wire .pdf from the internet L-175 L-185 L-1500 L-1501 Wiring Diagram.pdf is this the one you have?

My l1501 did the exact same thing. It was the battery negative cable where it bolted to frame. Took it off, cleaned cable and frame where it touched and a new bolt. Has been perfect since.
Thanks for the tip, will check this too.

Look by the starter for a fuse link that could be burnt, It will look like a wire.
If you need to start the tractor to move it just jump from the big +cable to the smaller wire on the other terminal. ;)
Thanks for the tip, I put the +cable in the battery and used a wire to connect from the + battery to the terminal. I heard like the starter starting like for a second them a sound like "mmmmmmmmmmm"

Also tried with the +cable disconnected from the battery and a wire from the +battery to the terminal and i only heard a toc toc toc

I've only managed to clean the inside dash and try this connection, will see if tomorrow have more time to check the wires.

Thank you all and have a great weekend

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Decompression cable does exactly what it's name is. If you pull the cable out while it's connected, it will release compression in the motor. It's normally used when it's really cold out to get the motor spinning fast, then push the cable back in to engage compression and start the motor. Most folks don't use it, and kubota quit putting them on there tractors after awhile.