Clutch and Throwout Bearing

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
I purchased a B6100 and it was having some grinding and throwout bearing noise. I adjusted the clutch and was able to get it to work without grinding if I brought the rpms to a very low idle. I greased the throwout bearing but it still was giving that bearing noise. I split the tractor to view both items. I am quite confident that I have to replace the throwout bearing.

I have two questions:

1. After splitting the tractor, I could not get the throwout bearing to release. I read that I had to remove the grease nut bib first so I did that, but it still will not let me pull it out. When I move the clutch pedal it moves in and out. Do I have to remove something else before it allows me to remove it to replace the bearing? Once I get it off, how do I remove the bearing off of that assembly?

2. Here is a picture of the clutch. How do I know if the clutch is too worn?

Attachments

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
Thanks. I did that and found the Service Manual.
It is on paragraph 55 of the Manual.
It only states that after you split it to "Extract release bearing from holder to renew", but it does not state how.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It just comes strait off, there is nothing holding it on except probably some rust and such.
Thump it from behind with a small hammer.

Attachments

BUCKET

Equipment
KUBOTA B7 100 HST 4x4 , 5 foot mid mount mower .
Nov 26, 2014
GYMPIE , QLD , AUSTRALIA
I have just done the clutch on my B7 100.
Did you slide shaft 11 out and remove fork 10 off the carrier ?
I took my carrier to a local bearing supply shop.
They pressed the old bearing off then pressed the new bearing on .

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
I was able to remove the bearing using the claw of a hammer. I did not have to take off the fork. It came off with wedging from all sides. I have one on order and will press it back on. What is the best way to put it on without damaging it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You really should remove the holder before you put the new bearing on or you could damage the seal behind it.
As far as putting it on use a block of wood like a 2x4 and a small hammer to drive it back on, make sure you put it on the right direction! ;)

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
I put the new throwout bearing on the holder without damaging it. I put everything back together as it was before. I applied grease to the nipple on the holder from the outside hole near the clutch. After starting the tractor, I put it in reverse and it still was making that weird whinning sound.
It was not grinding. I put it in 1st and it started whinning and then went a way.
Definitely less winning. I drove it for about 5 minutes to see if it would quiet the tractor and it did not. Today I put more grease in grease nipple, and started it. It was whinning just as loud now as before I replaced the throwout bearing. I unscrewed the nipple and checked to see if the grease fitting was working and it was.

It only makes the whinning sound at the point I am releasing the clutch in gear. Once the tractor is in gear and the clutch is totally released there is no noise anymore.

Could it be something else? Why would it still whine?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would think pilot bearing too, and quit greasing the throw out bearing, you'll ruin the clutch if you get grease on it.;)

Your other option is that you have a damaged gear in the transmission.

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
Ok. Thanks. I'll stop greasing it.

How do I inspect the pilot bearing to see if it is bad?

I think I put the throwout bearing in correctly. I put the curved side facing the clutch. Is this correct?

How do I pull out and replace the pilot bearing?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You're going to have to pull it apart to check the bearing, it's in the back of the crank.
You can mic it to see if it's warn, but it is, just replace it.
It's a Bronze bearing it is fairly easy to pull out, you can use a slide hammer with a hook to pull it.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Sounds like a pilot bearing to me too. I've used an e-z out on occasion to pull the old one with mixed results.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Another method to remove pilot bushing.
1. Pack the hole with grease- try to get all air out
2. Find a wooden dowel or metal rod that just fits inside pilot bushing ID.
3. Drive the dowel or rod into the hole in the bushing.
the hydraulic force of the grease will push the bushing out.

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
Thanks guys for the response. I am going to post pictures for anyone in the future that needs to see it and for any comments.

Here are my questions:

1. Does it look like my throwout bearing is in correctly?

2. Does the clutch need to be replaced? I dont have a measuring tool.

3. How do I get to the pilot bearing. Does the flywheel need to be pulled? If so, how do I loosen those bolts? The flywheel just moves with the wrench.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like you have the throw out bearing on backwards!
The part the spins looks like it's facing the rear.

Clutch disk looks useable, by the pic about 1/2 life (guess).

No you don't need to remove the flywheel, it will come out with it on.

Get the new pilot bearing and you'll see it's pretty small.

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
Ok. I'll remove the bearing and turn it around. Do you think that is why it continued making that whinning noise?

I was told by a tractor guy that I should take the old pilot bearing to a bearing shop here and they will give me one the exact same size.

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
Sorry to keep posting questions, but I can't find my pilot bearing. I think it might be so worn down that I cannot find it. If you look at my picture, you can see the first line where it looks like it worn down. Is it #1 or #2 where it indicates the end of the pilot bearing? Or is it even there?

What is the best way to remove that? Should I use a hacksaw blade to cut the rest of it out?

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14451&stc=1&d=1421540216

Attachments

pbaumeister

Equipment
B6100
Jan 1, 2015
Sacramento
Ok. Looking at the picture above, the line 2 is from the shaft that goes into hole. The shaft has a line on it in the same spot. So the line 1 is where the pilot bushing is supposed to stop.

My question is this. Is the pilot bearing/bushing even there? I don't see any sign of it. I probed around for the hole that is supposed to be part of the pilot bearing and there is none. That makes me think it is worn down completely. I ordered one online anyway.

Any thoughts on this?