Serial # info

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Tractors and equipment do not go by model year rather then a series built within a time frame. If you absolutely have to know the year of your tractor you might be able to find it stamped on the inside of a rim on the rear tires.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I disagree. Tractors & equipment do go by year built.

Maybe you'd like to take a stab at cracking the secret code?

This subject comes up frequently and I have seen no one who has an answer and apparently Kubota has not been helpful on the matter.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
They have to have a list of serial #'s produced for each year. Whether they share with the public or not is a different story. Also, some components on the tractor should, somewhere have a production stamp / pin stamp on them which would be a code of something like plant/date/shift/etc for parts traceability. The date is usually in the form of Julian date. What those components are and what the stamp code is would have to be investigated.

I just pressure whashed my tractor last night so it's all nice and clean now. I'll be working on it today to mock up the mounting location for the hydraulic valve. I'll take a peek around components under the tractor and see if I can spot some sort of production stamp somewhere.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Tractors and equipment do not go by model year rather then a series built within a time frame. If you absolutely have to know the year of your tractor you might be able to find it stamped on the inside of a rim on the rear tires.
If beachmissions wants to divulge his tractors serial number I will contact my Kubota dealer for yr model. When I was looking for a used M7040 to buy I contacted my dealer with tractor SN and they told me the yr model and if tractor had sustained any major warranty work.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I told you, you can look on the inside rim of the rear tire. The date should be stamped on there. Beyond that the year of the tractor being made has no relivence to parts or anything for that matter. The parts counter does not care that is a 2013 Kubota, they just need parts numbers. Finding the year it was built in will just warm your heart and let you know how old it is... thats about it.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Lets take a M7040 for example. They were built from 2007-2013. So are you stating that all things equal as in condition/hrs a 2007 will sell for the same money as a 2013 model? I think not so. Plus if you look a the parts listings you'll find times that the correct part # is dependent on SN so yes the machine SN is important.

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Lets take a M7040 for example. They were built from 2007-2013. So are you stating that all things equal as in condition/hrs a 2007 will sell for the same money as a 2013 model? I think not so. Plus if you look a the parts listings you'll find times that the correct part # is dependent on SN so yes the machine SN is important.

Eric is correct to a degree. Part is relevant to a serial number series.

I can take the serial number of my truck and get all kinds of info such as date and model and engine and trim package........not so with Kubota.

I have asked the dealer if he could tell me what year through the serial number and he said he could not.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Eric is correct to a degree. Part is relevant to a serial number series.

I can take the serial number of my truck and get all kinds of info such as date and model and engine and trim package........not so with Kubota.

I have asked the dealer if he could tell me what year through the serial number and he said he could not.
Tractors are not the same as cars and trucks. Personally, I don't care about the year nearly as much as hours and condition. If I like a certain model, the year of manufacturer makes no difference to me, unless there were issues that were corrected in subsequent years.
Cars and trucks are judge mostly by miles, then other criteria. I think that hours of use and what type of use is more telling than how many miles. In that respect, I think that a person can make a more informed decision about a tractor. Not many automobiles record hours of use, although some pickup trucks now do.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ok call up your favorite dealer and ask the parts counter how important the model year is, then talk to a few different salesmen and ask them how important the model year is on a tractor and report back to us your findings....

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I have a L275, one hp less than yours. On mine if you look infront of the break peddles rivited to the trans there is a rivited on plate with the serial number, other info, and at the very botom is 1982. That happens to be the year mine was made (this could just be a coincident), but that number is there on mine.

When I, or anyone that I know, am looking at a used tractor that is more than a few years old what I am interested in is:
1) first look - from about 20 feet
2) close up examination (hopefully it has not been meticulously cleaned I want to see the grease and oil) - what is broken, dented, worn, modified etc
3) how many hours in it - are the hrs real
4) check all fluids and filters that I can
5) I start it and see how it runs , this includes some play time in the seat (no seat time no deal unless I can steal it for cheep parts price)
6) If it looks like it is going to be a go I will pressure wash it followed by more seat time and final inspection
7) Manufacture date if known

If you are buying a house it is location, location, location
If you are buying equipment or machinery it is condition, condition, condition

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
EXACTLY! Thats how most everyone with a knowledge of equipment will size up a new to them purchase.
Eric
Be sure and read olthumpa's number 7 statement. I worked for a dealer for 21+ years in sales & service and you are kidding yourself if you think year of manufacture(serial number) isn't important to the value &/or repair of a tractor.
Have a wonderful day,Jim

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
In my experiances the year has some sorta valueish when buying used yes. But in all the parts I've ever bought for equipment, not just Kubota but all sorts especially Caterpillar, parts numbers was the way to go for a speedy parts look up. I've walked into Cat looking for parts for a highway diesel and unless I had part numbers handy they would look at you dumbfounded if you need something for a 1996 Cat 3208 Diesel. Same went true a number of times at the Kubota dealer.