Loader tilt - problems

gyro28866

Equipment
M95S
Jun 18, 2013
Dickson, Tennessee
Hello: I am new to this forum.
I own a M95S with a LA1301 Loader.
I use it mostly in hay production. Back in December, I was run off the edge of the road and broke two chains and the tractor come off the trailer. the loader saved the tractor; however the loader was mangled. The local Kubota Dealer installed a new loader on the tractor. The loader appeared to work properly.
Recently, I have had to start the hay season. I roll 6'diax5'wide rolls.They routinely weigh about a ton. The first time I used the loader for this application the loader started giving me trouble.
The up and down or raise and lower works perfectly!
The tilt will tilt up - with no issues.
The tilt down - will not lower properly. If I take the engine rpm to idle and crack the valve slightly, I can get the tilt to lower. If the engine rpm is above idle - forget it. you can see the tilt start to lower and then a bump in the up direction and no more movement.
I have switched the loader lines at the quick connects and the tilt will work perfect and the problem goes to the raise and lower. Except it will only go up. with applying side to side stick movement, the loader only raises. I had to shut the engine down and operate the stick to get the loader back down.
This test tells me that the problem is not in the cylinders on the loader?
The local Kubota dealer is telling me he is at least a month behind, hay season is kicking my butt. I am using the tractor to load out, but it is a real slow process.
Here is a pic of me coming out of the field with a load.

Attachments

Last edited:

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Was the controller damaged in any way? A far fetched thought here, when your tractor fell off, perhaps it's possible that the loader bucket took the force and the hydraulic fluids "back-slammed" the internal components of the controller?

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I third it!

I'm guessing you need either to have your control valve rebuilt or just buy a new one so you're not down waiting for it.

You might be able to pull yours apart to see if there is blown o-ring that is plugging up one of the passages.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd check the linkage of the loader control lever - the wreck may have sheared a pin or something in the way the lever is supposed to open the valve.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
You were able to change the problem from one set of cylinders to another by changing the quick-connects. So the problem isn't the cylinder(s). Do you have the auto-leveling feature that keeps the bucket level as it raises? Could be a linkage alignment / fitment problem but I think that's a low probability.

I'd go with the control valve for that function. Change out the entire valve bank or the one segment (depending on valve model / type) if you don't have time to rebuild. Any large competent hydraulic shop--not a hose maker, but a real hydraulic rebuild shop--should be able to get you back going overnight if you explain your haying needs and pay 'breakdown' repair rates.

gyro28866

Equipment
M95S
Jun 18, 2013
Dickson, Tennessee
I am with the three of you, that it is most likely in the valve body. The tilt cylinders were hit pretty hard. Hard enough that the tilt brackets were all broke off the loader. Insurance will be paying for the repair, but it will have to back to the Kubota shop for repairs or replacement. Here is a pic of the damage.

Attachments

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Ouch!

Well at least you have insurance, good to have! If there's any chance, you could likely have the dealer have the new control valve ready before you bring it in to minimize down time. Hopefully it won't take long to get your 'bota back full time! :)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The pictures make me want to cry...

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess I shouldn't have looked at those pics before I ate lunch. Not even my tractor but it makes me sick just thinking about it. I know this is changing the subject alittle but this seems to be discussed on a regular basis here on OTT and this thread fits in well.

The great debate about hauling tractors and the need to secure them with chains or straps. This tractor was secured with chains and it broke 2 before coming off the trailer. I'm not going to say straps would have change anything but don't think just because you use chain instead of straps that nothing will happen in a emergency situation.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Looks like one of those mowing units they use along the sides of the freeway.

You know, with a tilt like that it would be just the right amount to put the correct camber on a dirt circle track...

Most of all, glad nobody was hurt!

;-)

gyro28866

Equipment
M95S
Jun 18, 2013
Dickson, Tennessee
Well, I finally had enough of the tilt problems.
I have swapped the hoses to see if the problem would change to the lift. It did, then it did not. Same ole intermittent operation.
Yesterday, I took the loader valve body off and went into the shop with it. there are three through bolts holding the stack together. I removed the bolts and carefully separated the stack. Be careful not to damage the O-ring between each valve body; and the relief valve and spring.
The valve body for tilt, I moved to another area of the workbench. Removed the piston/rod end cover and return spring. Had to clean it a bit, some moisture was present along with some brown gravy. removed the retainer on the other end also. removed the valve rod from the valve body. removed a plug from the end of the body, careful there is a ring/seal under the plug.
Removed the other plug/releaf valve. Dismantled it. The only thing I found was an O-ring which had a rough spot on it. I changed out the O-ring and reassembled it.
Reassembled the stack and mounted it onto the tractor. While I was attaching the Quick-connect hoses, I noticed that one of the attach point center piece was missing. Yep! had to take the entire valve body off and go back to the workbench. the retainer for the spring/center pin had broken, while I was trying to reattach the hose. removed the hose attachment from the valve body, and was able to dump out the three broken pieces.
The last time I purchased a quick attach at the Kubota dealer it was around $65.00; I called my local hydrolic hose supplier and he had the exact item for $10.00.
Everything reassembled and the loader works perfectly now; no more TILT issues.
I don't know if it was the O-ring in the relief valve or a possible center pin on the quick attach; or a combination of both.
Hopefully, my problems are behind me.
and the intermittent Gremlin has not jumped up again.
but the Loader is working PERFECTLY!!!!!

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would say it was the coupler. All it takes is one bad coupler and the hyd system is down for the count. Hope you got everything as it should be. It sux to have something broke and not be able to use it. Let us know how it works out.

gyro28866

Equipment
M95S
Jun 18, 2013
Dickson, Tennessee
I guess it begs the question:
How to properly test and diagnose a problem in a attachment coupling?
Obviously, if the spring pop-off tensions feel the same and appear to operate smoothly and properly. Then how do you know if it is a bad coupling?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Bad couplers are rare. As far as testing goes they either work or they don't. Aside from setting up a flow meter to check flow and pressure just plug them in and go. When something doesn't work like what happened to you just remember to start with the easy fix. Check the couplers first and go from there.