L200 Glow Plug Conversion

Mustangnut6788

Equipment
L200
Oct 26, 2013
NE Ohio
Hey guys, just thought I'd quickly introduce myself a bit before I dive into things. My name is Nate. I just picked up my first compact tractor the other day, a L200. I used to be into restoring older Cub Cadets and have a nice 1650, and 169 but I have found my needs have out grown the tractors. I am mainly going to use the L200 for getting firewood out of the woods and pulling junk cars around the lot. With the 3pt hitch I'm sure I will find many other uses as time goes by.

So this L200 fell into my lap and I jumped on it. Came with a Woods belly mower (which I'm going to remove and sell as I use a Ferris zero turn to mow with) and a back blade. Everything is in pretty good shape and it runs good. Problem is that the glow plugs weren't working correctly and it was hard to start. So after fooling around with it today I accidentally blew out the elements in both plugs. I didn't realize they couldn't handle the higher amperage. I probably should have known better realizing the two coil wire resisters but none the less they are done now. The previous owner had by-passed the original system and used a typical bosch 40a relay with a momentary switch to operate the glow plugs. The main coil resister on the frame was still used. Looking back now I think the connections on the plugs were making them not work correctly (a little loose).

My thinking now, is it possible to convert to a newer style glow plug without the looped element?

I found this video on youtube about Mercedes and want to know if the same can be done with my Kubota.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyIzllzbW0&feature=player_detailpage

Does anybody happen to have a part number for a newer style glow plug I could retrofit? The part number on the old glow plug was NGK DG220A.

Thanks!
Nate

Some shots of the new toy:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
At $65 a pop........

I would rewire as it was originally and replace the original GPs........but that's just me.

If the mower is complete and working well, I'd store it away. The tractor will have more value complete in the future.

Mustangnut6788

Equipment
L200
Oct 26, 2013
NE Ohio
Thanks for the quick reply. I found replacement glow plugs for $30 each. I don't mind paying another $60 if it means better starting. But if you guys don't think that it will perform any better, perhaps I will go back to the stock setup.

Also the glow lamp indicator wire on the dash burned through so the circuit was not working. That is why the previous owner had by passed it with the relay.

I thought about keeping the deck to add value if I ever sell it. I don't really have much room to store it and I was hoping the money I got from it would be used to buy a box scraper or some other attachments that I would actually use.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
So you are saying that the new $30 plugs will take the full 12v? Give it a shot then......

You will not find another deck.

I personally prefer a RMM over a belly mower but it's just the idea of a complete original set up that makes it easier to sell.

Mustangnut6788

Equipment
L200
Oct 26, 2013
NE Ohio
The stock style glow plugs must operate at a lower voltage or amperage. I tried putting a full 12v straight from the battery and that was when they blew out. (Dumb mistake, looking back now) Even if I fix the broken looped wire resister in the dash I'm not sure if the rest of the original circuit is in working condition.

davej42

Equipment
l200
Dec 20, 2014
sheridan, ar
I purchased a l200 last summer and it would not start. We found a bad glow plug and thankfully the wiring was dried up. I didn't try to start it or turn the switch on, so i traced it back. I found a splice and i am assuming that is were the resister pack goes but it doesn't have one. Also the controller coil on the dash is burned out and has been bypassed. So i need those 2 parts. I don't have part numbers for those can anyone give me the part numbers or suggest were to find them? Or the value of the resister in the circuit? It sits on the right side of the tracker just below the gas tank. :confused:

Magpiesn5

Jun 14, 2015
Perth
Hi Nate

I am interested in where you picked up your glow plugs and what the part number was as I am chasing some DG220A for my L210.

Thanks Regards

Mustangnut6788

Equipment
L200
Oct 26, 2013
NE Ohio
I sent you an email Carl. Kubota part number 15101-65510 for the glow plug.

The indicator coil in the dash is Kubota part number 32150-32700.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nate, you're saying you put 12v on your GP and they burnt out? How long you hold the wire on them? In 5-10 seconds they should glow orange, they don't need to have power any longer then it takes to get that glow.

You can get the coil resister on Ebay from aftermarket seller for $20. I know, I got one I didn't need after I did some additional follow up on wiring.

The wiring is pretty simple. Power comes from the switch (that you usually turn counter-clock wise- on older tractors). to one side of the indicator coil, from the coil to the first GP, then to the second GP, etc.

All the wires to the GP's have to be connected and tight, or the next GP will not get heat and the engine will not start.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
The glow coil you view thru a small port on the dash serves more than just the purpose of a visual clue the glow plugs are warming up. I don't recall the exact electronics behind it...... but it is there for several purposes. A very simple, basic design that works well. ( I think the wire coil is also intended as a resistor)

I'd go back to that if that is what your tractor originally had.