L2650 Steering Cylinder Rebuild/Repair

Kubota L2650

Equipment
M7040-HDC1 and L2650DT
Jan 24, 2015
VA
New to forum and thank you in advance for the help.

My L2650DT-7, with a FEL, has started to leak hyd. fluid from around the seals and packing on the front power steering cylinder of this tractor. The leak is at the outside of the assembly flanges that house the cylinder rod and tube cyclinder housing. The power steering works fine just need to repair the leaks on either end of the cylinder at the assembly flanges.

My questions are: 1) Can I simply take the assembly flanges off individually and replace the required seals, gaskets and packing in each flange or does the entire cylinder need to come off. 2) Are there any special tools or procedures required to replace these seals, such as protective sleeves or drivers. 3) Any info. on the correct parts numbers, and a source, for the seals/gaskets/O-rings etc., or a total rebuild kit, would be greatly appreciated. 4) Is this a job an ol' Farm mechanic can do, or does this repair have to be done by a Kubota Dealer.

I have done a previous "thread" check and can't seem to find any info. on this repair. If I missed an applicable thread I do apologize as I am not the best on these things.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum from Alabama. I am sure someone here will be able to help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 You need the WSM (Work Shop Manual) it will walk you through the whole repair procedure.

I'll send you a PM of a download of the manual. :D

I've got the same tractor just one size larger, they are really easy to work on if you have the manual. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Kubota L2650

Equipment
M7040-HDC1 and L2650DT
Jan 24, 2015
VA
Thank you Mickeyd for the welcome and Wolfman for the manual info. I do appreciate the guidance.

Just thought that maybe a member was out there who had performed this repair in the past and could give me any do's and dont's on the project. Past experience is a hard thing to beat.

Thanks again......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't hit it with big hammers, or drop it on your toes...:p:D

Seriously it's better pull the whole cylinder out and build it on a bench to keep it cleaner, but you can do it on the tractor.
I don't think it's that hard to do just keep everything in the right place and direction (like seals).

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Hydraulic cylinder- first i build a tool to crack packing nuts loose.they can be stubborn little buggers to get moving. Once loose i take to bench. Wash/clean before teardown. I try to compare parts and sort them in order i take it apart.
Some of the seals/spacers are difficult to manipulate,boiling water makes them pliable-be careful to not stretch things. I have used hose clamps as sort of a ring compressor to aid in assembly.
Big thing is-use tools that wont nick seals and be careful to not scratch any parts.

Hyd cylinders are messy, so have plenty of your preferred products for cleaning up spills.
Good luck.

Kubota L2650

Equipment
M7040-HDC1 and L2650DT
Jan 24, 2015
VA
Thanks again for the reply's guys. I'll tear into it some time this spring, not a big leak but I want to jump on it before it worsens.

Ryoung

Jun 8, 2015
Hollister, Fl USA
#1 You need the WSM (Work Shop Manual) it will walk you through the whole repair procedure.

I've got the same tractor just one size larger, they are really easy to work on if you have the manual. ;)
I have an L2650 with a leaking steering cylinder, could you also send me a download of the manual. Thanks

ewhitelaw

Equipment
1995 L2650
May 11, 2014
Christiansburg, VA

I also need the instructions. Can you send me the WSM for this job?
Thanks!

Edwin

jbanse

Equipment
Kubota L2650 with LA450 Loader
Jan 22, 2024
San Antonio, Texas

I have an L2650 with a leaking steering cylinder, could you also send me a link or download of the manual.? Thanks

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just a different consideration, but sometimes it is faster and more convenient to take the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop (IF you have one local), and let them do the job. Seal kits from Kubota are relatively expensive. Price difference might not be that different in the end. Wasn't for for my loader lift cylinders a couple years ago.

just suggesting another option…