BX2200 3 Point Hitch Lift Cylinder

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
Hello all! I've commented on several posts, but never introduced myself. My name is Gary, and I am from a nice rural town in Holden, MA. i bought a 2003 BX22 with 525hrs., MM and Power Bagger, FEL, and Snow Blower as a package recently. I take care of my small property, my older neighbor's, and my parent's who are 1/10th of a mile away. Summer, I trailer the BX up to do the lawn, winter, I just drive it up, taking the chance of local PD catching me. Perfect machine for what I do with it. So, now my question...

I have to bring it to the dealer to get an exact diagnosis and cost from them, but might do the work if the quote is crazy or if I think I can just do it myself. My 3 pth raises up just fine. With the drop-speed control in any position, it drops at a slow speed of maybe full up to almost full bottom in 1-2 mins., depending on what I have attached. If I put the control lever in the down position, the speed knob will drop it faster or slower, but full cranked, it still drops at that original slow speed. This makes me think it is not the knob at all. My two remaining choices would be the valve body for the controller leaking when in its neutral position, or scored piston or rings leaking. I've gone through the shop manual, and the diagnosis seems sound, but not sure which it would be.

Okay, so finally on to my question...Is there any easy to way to figure our the exact point of failure, and has anyone actually taken one of these units apart before? It is a different looking animal from most lift cylinders that I have ever seen, so it is new territory for me. I am an old motorcycle mechanic and home-car guy, so I have the knowledge and ability for most things, but I don't want to open a can of worms on this project. So, any helpful comments would be great.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help but I am sure one of the fine people on here can.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most likely on that model it will be a blown seal or ring on the piston.

There really isn't anyway to test it without all the proper and expensive equipment.

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
Okay, just a bump to see if I could get any advice from someone who has taken one of these BX22 3pth lift mechanisms apart before. With all of this snow, I am sure that this would be wrong time to try and tackle a repair anyways, but unless I know ahead of time how difficult this is going to be, I am just going to bite the bullet and let the dealer fix it for me. Thanks if anyone has any advice from being in one of these things before.