zd21 bad axel or bad hst?

swampwater

Equipment
zd21f
Jul 14, 2013
Louisiana
Right side wheel quit turning on my zd 21. I raised the wheel off the ground and its very hard to turn. Seems like harder than it should be. How can I determine if its the axle or the right side hst? Axel isn't leaking and hydro system has plenty of oil. The control lever seem kinda hard to push and pull and sounds like pump is under stress when I push on the lever.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Drain the final drive into a clean pan and see it it has metal in it. Also check to see that your brake is not stuck on. You can also remove the final drive and run the hydro to see if the sound or feel changed.

swampwater

Equipment
zd21f
Jul 14, 2013
Louisiana
Once I unbolt the axel from the frame will it simply slide off of the hst or is there a keeper on the end of the pump shaft? Should the axel turn relatively easy once the two are separated?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
There are four 17mm head bolts through final drive into the frame toward the rear and four 12mm headed bolts through the final drive into the hydro state housing. Final drive will now slide off, there is a loose gear and collar that may stay with the final or stay with hydro. Note the gear's position as it has a protrusion on one side.

The final drive axle should be relatively easy to turn.

If you did not drain the final drive first, you have just made a mess.

swampwater

Equipment
zd21f
Jul 14, 2013
Louisiana
Got the final drive off kinda hard to turn. Started the engine and pump still wouldn't turn. Removed the pump and I can turn it by hand and it spits out oil. Pump seems ok. Is this telling me something inside the main transmission housing is bad? Should I be able to turn the inner shaft in the main case?

swampwater

Equipment
zd21f
Jul 14, 2013
Louisiana
Bad bearing in the hst locking up the whole thing. Part of the inner case is ruined. Gotta get a new case and new bearings and seals. At least it won't cost as much as a transmission.