Ballast - Water Only?

John Corey

Equipment
Kubota Sunshine L1-22DT
Oct 30, 2015
Gold Coast Australia
Hi guys
I live on the sunny Gold Coast of Australia so have no freezing issues. Until today I had R1 'rice paddy' tyres on the rear. I have been meaning to change them as they are so damaging to my grass and poor in the horse sand yard. Anyway, I just had a leak in the side wall of one of them so I had an excuse to change them and bought a couple of the pictured tyres? They are R1 but have a flatter tread than my others. I believe there are several different types of R1s, does anyone know what these are called?

I'm going to ballast these new rear tubed tyres and thought I would advise the process that I used on the other pair. It seemed to work well for me but I have just searched this forum and at no stage did I burp the tyres. So maybe I could have done a better job.

I did the job with the tyres on the tractor. I only used water as we have no freezing issues and the local tractor dealer said to only use water?
I jacked up a tyre at a time, positioning the valve at 12. Removed the entire valve, grabbed my skinny 12mm hose and placed it over the valve (I have no adaptor). Turned the hose on and sat there for 15 to 20 minutes filling the tyre (getting a lot of splash back/soaked in the process) until the water started pouring back out the valve. Replace the valve. That leaves the tyre 75-80% full of water. I then grab the air compressor and put 14psi into tyre. Release jack. Then repeat process for other tyre.

This was the first time I had ever ballast the tyres and the difference it made to my L1-22 Sunshine (very skinny tractor) was incredible.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this process? Should I have burped the tyres? If so how do I do this? Is there a problem with water only? I realise the process would be easier with an adaptor but I don't mind sitting there getting soaked. It's nearly winter down here yet it was 30degree Celsius ***128512;

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
John,
The way you did it and the water are perfect.
What has me worried is that you only changed the rear tires, when you changed the tires did you notice any height change?
Where they the same size?
Hopefully not, as a change in height would also mean a change in rolling circumference and that's really hard on the 4wd system.

John Corey

Equipment
Kubota Sunshine L1-22DT
Oct 30, 2015
Gold Coast Australia
John,
The way you did it and the water are perfect.
What has me worried is that you only changed the rear tires, when you changed the tires did you notice any height change?
Where they the same size?
Hopefully not, as a change in height would also mean a change in rolling circumference and that's really hard on the 4wd system.
Hi Wolfman. I have ordered front tyres as well but they are not easy to find down here. 6 x14. Tyre guy said 2 to 3 weeks. I have no doubt the support network/ spare parts etc is a lot better for 'gray' tractors in Nth America than it is in Australia. Another reason why this web site is so helpful.

I had a really good look at the stance from behind. From all angles actually. It looks ok, but to be very honest I'm not sure I would be knowledgeable enough to know if anything was wrong, except if it was very obvious. I took it for a drive and it felt great. It's a much improved ride without the rice tyres. And it's the first time I have been able to put my front axle seal repair under stress. No leaking at all. It's a good feeling when you have no mechanical experience, but just research the subject, take your time, and repair it yourself. I love working on the old Kubota.

I read on here somewhere that I should keep the tractor in 2wd unless I need to go to 4wd, so that's what I have been doing recently. Maybe you have different ideas about this? I only ever drive the tractor on my 5acres. Never the road.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi Wolfman. I have ordered front tyres as well but they are not easy to find down here. 6 x14. Tyre guy said 2 to 3 weeks. I have no doubt the support network/ spare parts etc is a lot better for 'gray' tractors in Nth America than it is in Australia. Another reason why this web site is so helpful.

I had a really good look at the stance from behind. From all angles actually. It looks ok, but to be very honest I'm not sure I would be knowledgeable enough to know if anything was wrong, except if it was very obvious. I took it for a drive and it felt great. It's a much improved ride without the rice tyres. And it's the first time I have been able to put my front axle seal repair under stress. No leaking at all. It's a good feeling when you have no mechanical experience, but just research the subject, take your time, and repair it yourself. I love working on the old Kubota.

I read on here somewhere that I should keep the tractor in 2wd unless I need to go to 4wd, so that's what I have been doing recently. Maybe you have different ideas about this? I only ever drive the tractor on my 5acres. Never the road.
John,

I am sure you did your research and got a great deal of info, I think what Wolfman was trying to point out is that the new tires can and will place a large strain on the transmission if the ratios are out of specs according to the factory rice patty tires. I am sure the ride is mucccch better and smoother!;):)

Now - do you have the old tires still around? If so - measure the rolling diameter (circumference) of those versus your new ones, if the new tires are a wee bit larger or smaller AND you place it in 4wd drive, the front end will try to pull the rear, or the rear will push the front. However - if you are not placing it in 4wd other than in a field where slippage is possible, then you should not have a problem at all! And as you mentioned, 4wd should be used where the rears need a little help anyway. By all means - upload some pictures of the ol' girl! ;):)

John Corey

Equipment
Kubota Sunshine L1-22DT
Oct 30, 2015
Gold Coast Australia
:mad:
John,

I am sure you did your research and got a great deal of info, I think what Wolfman was trying to point out is that the new tires can and will place a large strain on the transmission if the ratios are out of specs according to the factory rice patty tires. I am sure the ride is mucccch better and smoother!;):)

Now - do you have the old tires still around? If so - measure the rolling diameter (circumference) of those versus your new ones, if the new tires are a wee bit larger or smaller AND you place it in 4wd drive, the front end will try to pull the rear, or the rear will push the front. However - if you are not placing it in 4wd other than in a field where slippage is possible, then you should not have a problem at all! And as you mentioned, 4wd should be used where the rears need a little help anyway. By all means - upload some pictures of the ol' girl! ;):)
Ok, thanks, I shall get to measuring tomorrow. Here she is in all her glory. Not pretty and she is not happy about having white rear rims. That's my next project.
Another question you guys may be able to answer is in regards to my hydra trans level. My model has a tiny site glass directly below and to the side of the steering wheel. Problem is I have never been able to see a level, even after cleaning the sight glass. I don't know whether it's full or low, or maybe the sight glass has frosted. Is there any other way to determine level? I know it takes about 26 litres. I am thinking of draining the entire system and filling with the recommended amount. That way I will know it's full and in the year I have owned the tractor I have changed all the fluids except the transmission.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks mate. Hmmmm I know how to flip my rear wheels to give me an extra foot of width.....but no idea how to flip a photo ***128512;
If your taking with an I-phone, hold the phone upright like your gonna talk on it with the button down. On my tablet I can load up the album. Tap on the picture, and one of the options is to edit. That gives you an option to rotate.

On the computer, I can either edit it in Microsoft paint. Or load up the thump nails, and right click on the mouse over the picture. One of the options is to rotate the picture

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks mate. Hmmmm I know how to flip my rear wheels to give me an extra foot of width.....but no idea how to flip a photo ***128512;
John,

most software now days understand when a picture is vertical or horizontal, it is smarter than ever, even if the picture is taken upside down! However - if you flipped it by using the software or the software flipped it automatically - simply look at the picture on the computer and then HIT SAVE, by saving in the "correct" view, it will upload it correctly!;):)