Will spraying silicon spray in the intake contaminate the oil?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have something way off. :eek:

Did you pull the timing gears off of it?

Did you pull the injection pump out of it?

And yes, you also most likely also have the valves set wrong.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
Never touched any gears. Never took the injector pump off either. I took the injectors off the pump while I dismantled the head to replace the gasket but that was it.

(This was posted by lugbolt in another thread)
-Choose a cylinder. #1 for example. Turn the engine over in it's normal direction of rotation until the exhaust valve JUST starts to open. Stop. Adjust intake valve. Once the Intake's seddddt, turn the engine until the intake valve is ALMOST closed (but not all the way). Check/adjust clearance on the exhaust valve. This method is almost foolproof if done correctly. Repeat the same process for the other cylinders.-

Reading this over again it seems that I was cranking the engine clockwise when it was supposed to be counterclockwise. Starting with the first cylinder I waited for the pushrod to start moving up pushing the spring down closest to the radiator. This on I'm sure is the intake valve as it corresponds with the hole for the intake. At this point I adjusted the lash on the exhaust valve. The only thing is the first spring going down means that intake is opening. Basically what I'm stating is that I think I just did the EOIC method backwards.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lets simplify this down to nothing:

Start with one rocker arm, turn the motor by hand (turn it the same direction as the starter turns it) and watch the push rod, it will go up then when it goes back down go a little past and then check the valve.
Do this for all 6 valves. ;)

If that's all right you have another problem with the engine.

Last edited: