LA 525 Loader Issue

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
Mine is quick attach.
Mine is the QA Skid Steer, please tell us what yours is so we can determine if that might be a reason for this problem.

I am curious to see what the dealers have to say. I simply fixed my issue and did not contact the dealer, this is what I tend to do as it can be less frustrating.

I am also curious to see how the pin repair holds up for those of you that are using that type of fix. It's a great idea, but I have my concerns about the pin shearing.

mfljr

Apr 7, 2016
TX
Looks like a nicely done repair.

Quick question, why build the bracket in the fist place?

Wouldn't a simple bolt with a couple of flat washers and a nyloc nut hold far more and be simpler than fabricating up the brackets?

I'm sure there is a reason for the brackets, but it escapes me so I wanted to ask.

Thanks!
Mike

Slowsure

Equipment
L2501
Sep 30, 2015
Tennessee
Both sides of mine opened up. One side maybe a touch more than the other. I may drill a hole and use a bolt, washer and nut to give more support. I have been more careful with the loader and haven't noticed them opening up again. Mine is "pin on bucket" NOT the quick attach.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
After reading this I checked mine today and it has opened up also. If you look at the inside plate where it was welded to the frame that is where mine has bent. I wonder if it was welded to hot and did something to the metal. I am going to drill mine and use a bolt and nut like the rest have on one side. Nice part is that is a solid pin as the grease fitting is on the cyl. Mine is also a QA

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
I am considering using a large spacer between the gussets, near the peak of the bend, and putting a high strength bolt through? It would add some support similar to millsrv's fix. Might just go the roll pin route too? Gotta see how hard it is to source parts. I agree, having to deal with warranty repair is a pain, and the reality is, it might not be the way Kubota wants it fixed, but it sure works good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
I have an LA434 with the same issue. I made a thread about it and was told it was normal to have the hydraulics move that much on the pin. One side moves more than the other and when the tractor was new I don't recall them moving at all. Only explanation is that they spread open.

Makes sense, as I was moving heavy wet dirt the first time I noticed it. Also quick attach on mine.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I wouldn't drill any holes through the side plates. Possibility of creating a weak spot that could fatigue and crack in the future. I'm not an engineer, but those side plates are 'hot' for stresses in both tensile and compression.

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I wouldn't drill any holes through the side plates. Possibility of creating a weak spot that could fatigue and crack in the future. I'm not an engineer, but those side plates are 'hot' for stresses in both tensile and compression.
Sure very well engineered, that is why they are bending. I have been welding and fabricating for 35 years. If those brackets fail (and they won't now) I will remove them from the loader arms and make new 1/4" ones. I suppose you might say well then the loader arms will crack and fail? Engineers are geniuses but they also tend to overthink everything. I spent my life making a living as a mechanic repairing equipment, vehicles, and machinery, I'll take my chances.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've been following this thread, and many folks are making comments on their loaders and possible fixes.

Why does the original poster take offense towards someone who comments on his post?

35 years of fixing engineer's mistakes doesn't make you "always'" right, does it?

Originally Posted by Yooper: "I wouldn't drill any holes through the side plates. Possibility of creating a weak spot that could fatigue and crack in the future. I'm not an engineer, but those side plates are 'hot' for stresses in both tensile and compression."

"Sure very well engineered, that is why they are bending. I have been welding and fabricating for 35 years. If those brackets fail (and they won't now) I will remove them from the loader arms and make new 1/4" ones. I suppose you might say well then the loader arms will crack and fail? Engineers are geniuses but they also tend to overthink everything. I spent my life making a living as a mechanic repairing equipment, vehicles, and machinery, I'll take my chances."

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I trust my welds over a Factory any day... If I had that loader, which Im narrowing down to the L2501, Id box the top in and fish plate the sides with 3/16.

The bending is not caused by straight on force. Its being side loaded some how. More weight or force on one corner of the bucket or some deflection is taking place. During my tractor shopping I pay close attention to loader construction. Curve booms are inherently stronger, however cylinder mounting pads leave alot to be desired. The NH Workmaster is a prime example. Excellent loader Construction, but the loader mount/stantion is a joke. Any side forces or flexing horizontally would flop that sucker around like a noodle.

I like the LA525 design, but those flimsy cylinder mounts, while suitable for head on forces, are too thin and too far from the loader boom to provide any structual ridgidity from side flexing. If I purchase one, first thing is some Plasma time and TIG welding to shore it up.

Im no engineer, just used to carry R and U stamps as well as structual welding Certs...

Grouse09

Equipment
B2650 Cab, snowblower, FEL, brush hog
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
I like both solutions from Mills and Yooper. Heading out to the barn to check mine. Its always something.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If there is this many instances with the few on here with a LA525, I shutter to think how many more out there are having this happen! :eek:

This sounds like it's going to bite Kubota in the back side real fast! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
This sounds like it's going to bite Kubota in the back side real fast! :rolleyes:
It could, for sure! That's why I asked if anyone had mentioned it to a dealer-you know they won't do anything if they don't know about it-in warranty or out. Squeaky wheels get greased most times.

A cheap/easy fix may be just replacement pins with a step (or welded collar as mentioned above) to keep everything "together". But of course they will have to test everything to determine the real cause of the issue before deciding on a fix.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I have the 525 and see no problem with mine. In fact, I see no problem with some of the pics posted....the pin is still sticking out the other side of the bracket just as mine is. The sides of the bracket look parallel to me. I see no spreading and really, no reason for it to spread.....but that's just me...ha ha.:)

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I have the 525 and see no problem with mine. In fact, I see no problem with some of the pics posted....the pin is still sticking out the other side of the bracket just as mine is. The sides of the bracket look parallel to me. I see no spreading and really, no reason for it to spread.....but that's just me...ha ha.:)
In hindsight I should have taken a before picture. The right hand side facing the loader was bent out about 3/4" and the pin barley stuck into it's bore.In my case something had to be done. I believe this loader is a very good one with a fairly minor flaw that is easy to fix. I'll bet that many will never have this issue come up and it could be me not using the loader correctly. I tend to do quite a bit of back dragging of material like road base and not always in a straight line. Another contributing factor may be moving trailers around with the loader. I made a quick release hitch plate that I use to park both a landscape and travel trailer around my property and that has got to put considerable side torque on the loader.

I'm sure that weight and material cost are both major considerations in Kubota's design.

Attachments

Last edited:

lescarpentier

Equipment
B3350
Oct 12, 2016
Washington
I see a huge problem with all of the pictures posted.Sure,it is an easy fix but nevertheless a fix that should not be required.I looked at my 534 loader yesterday carefully and it is doing nothing of the sort and it appears to be smaller and more fragile in it's construction than the 525 loader.

Grouse09

Equipment
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
I see a huge problem with all of the pictures posted.Sure,it is an easy fix but nevertheless a fix that should not be required.I looked at my 534 loader yesterday carefully and it is doing nothing of the sort and it appears to be smaller and more fragile in it's construction than the 525 loader.
Here are the left and right side of my LA 534 Loader. Slight bending, but very slight. I will keep and eye on it and when I take it in for other work (October 2017 planned for a FEL Third Function and Top and Tilt for the rear) I will see discuss with the dealer. Its just not that bad right now to complain about.

Attachments

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Here are the left and right side of my LA 534 Loader. Slight bending, but very slight. I will keep and eye on it and when I take it in for other work (October 2017 planned for a FEL Third Function and Top and Tilt for the rear) I will see discuss with the dealer. Its just not that bad right now to complain about.
Grouse 09. I went out and checked my LA534 loader yesterday also out of curiousty. Mine looked slightly tweaked just like yours. I went by the dealer today and looked at a brand new B2650 with LA534 loader, and brand new on the lot it was exactly the same as yours and mine. Just the way they are made I guess.

Grouse09

Equipment
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
Thanks RKidd. I believe that, and will continue to monitor this feed in the event an epidemic breaks out with heavier used FELs.