LA 525 Loader Issue

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I recently noticed that the brackets on my loader arms where the loader tilt rams attach via pins were starting to widen. It looks to me like the gauge steel used for those brackets is a bit light. My friend has a similar loader and his is doing the same thing.
I carefully examined the rest of the loader and all is well, it was just these brackets. I have always kept the pins lubricated so I do not believe this is a lack of maintenance issue.
I used a huge "C" Clamp to pull the brackets back into position and made a couple of heavy duty reinforcements pieces to add substantial heft to these brackets. I used 1/2" galvanized bolts to attach them. This did require drilling holes in the factory brackets. I could not bring myself to weld them on, this tractor is not old enough for that:)
Is anyone else noticing this problem?

Attachments

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
How far had the brackets spread? I am out of town at the moment, but I will measure mine to see if I see the same behavior.

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
Another thought - since the pin is drilled on one side to accept a bolt (preventing the pin from moving) could you simply install the c-clamp to return the bracket to the correct position, drill the collar and pin to match the other side, and then install a bolt?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Another thought - since the pin is drilled on one side to accept a bolt (preventing the pin from moving) could you simply install the c-clamp to return the bracket to the correct position, drill the collar and pin to match the other side, and then install a bolt?
Exactly what i would have done. Or weld a collar on pin after clamping plates inwards.

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
Wouldn't any sort of bending weaken the metal and possibly reduce the safe operating weight of the loader, regardless if it were bent back or not? Correct me if I am understanding metal fatigue incorrectly.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can do that as long as the Pins are not grease pins (grease zerk in the end of the pin) In this case they are not so that fix would have worked.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
millsrv, How many hours do you have on the tractor/loader and what do you do the most with the loader?
I was wondering the same thing?
In order to bend that point a whole lot of curl force needs to be put to the ram?

Slowsure

Equipment
L2501
Sep 30, 2015
Tennessee
I did the same thing to my LA525 loader arms at approx 20-30 hours on my L2501. I knew it right away. I was filling holes in the yard around the house from a old pile of dirt and I was trying to take too big of a bite from the pile.
I bent them back with a C clamp.
I was thinking of a way to give a little more support also. Your method looks like a good fix!

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
I would be tempted to box as much of those arms as I could, using opposing stitch welds, just to make them stronger.

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
Not a bad idea with a couple of buts; The bolt would be 1/4-20 or similar and that is a lot of stress on a small bolt that is originally designed simply to keep a pin from sliding out. Then you need to consider drilling through a pin that is probably hardened, I'm sure that is possible but it might be difficult.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
That's a bummer! Have you contacted Kubota, or your dealer about the issue? If this many units are bending, the may issue some sort of fix. I just got my la525, and my make a bracket as a preventative measure? The only up side, is that it looks like a cheap and easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
I have had mine for just shy of a month and one side is showing the same thing, all I have been doing is moving snow. I am going to talk to my dealer about this when they pick it up to put the rest of the accessories on it. It makes me a bit grumpy.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Took a couple of pictures of mine, which is starting to do the same. I think I'll fix it by drilling through the boss on the opposite side of the lock bolt ( after I squeeze it back together with a C clamp) and install a heavy duty roll pin.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
While waiting for a part I welded to cool, I grabbed the cordless drill and put the roll pins in the opposite side of the retainer bolt. I used a 'D' drill bit (.246") and chased the hole with a .250" reamer. Only took ten minutes per side.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Pins are generally softer than the boss and cylinder end. Sacrificial part. Cheap and way easier to replace a worn pin than a bushing.