Wood Grapple Build

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Looks great Yooper. Looks just a little heavier duty than stock!!! I like your grill guard also.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
May I suggest a couple of things that I've leaned from my builds.
Add a verical support (plate or bar) where the pads for the SSQA meet the implement mount, that will help with loader twist.
And box the bottom latch plates with openings for the pins.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Wolfman, I boxed in the lower latch mount as you had suggested. Not sure if my 'boom' will address the twist, but if not, I can also gusset the corners. There will be braces going from the SSQA to the sides of the boom to stiffen that up. The angle on the bottom of the SSQA frame is for making the locking of the pin more solid.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep the bottom latch looks great, I had a problem with one of my buckets and that is how I fixed it.

Where you put the 2 pieces of angle iron are great, if you do that on the top too, I would think that should subside any issues of twisting the landing pads.

I think at the rate you are going I think your going to want to trade in the L and head into a small M or an MX! :p :D

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Had to put a slot in the upper plate on the grapple body to allow clearance for the return fitting on the cylinder. Also drilled and tapped to mount the swivel. What's the saying, measure once and keep a welder handy? Arrrrgh!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I know, I know... negative nelly here.
But it looks like it sticking way out front, you know you would increase lift substantially if you move it closer.

The way a lot of skid steer implements like this work, is that they mount the grapple perpendicular to the plate, so grapple would stick out front on the mounting plate, then when in use you roll the bucket / plate forward and point it down to the working position.
They usually do this at an angle and not 90 Degrees maybe closer to 45.
Way to set it would be at normal lift height the implement sound be parallel to the ground.

What this does is move the lift point back almost to the pin, thus giving it much greater lift ability.

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I appreciate the feedback, Wolfman! The main reason I post my builds is to get more eyes on it than just mine. Its easy to overlook things.

I'm right at the crossroads with this build right now. My original idea was to use the curl with a linkage to the torque tube on the FEL to rotate the grapple. That way I can control everything with one hand with my existing set up. Now I'm leaning towards a linear actuator. Guess I'll do some research and make some decisions.

You probably noticed that the boom is only tacked on. Had to start somewhere and I just pulled some dimensions out of my head. I'm warming up to the idea of moving it closer.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yooper - believe me, from a expertise standpoint, I'm in NO position to critique your grapple. You said you appreciate other viewpoints, so bear with me....

I saw your pictures at work lunchtime today, and honestly thought it stuck out there a ways. Then later Wolfman said the same thing. :eek:

Tonight I tried to explain to a member on the forum BX series loader capacities at pins, 500mm forward, etc. , and the physics involved. Got me thinking of your pictures.

Handling logs, wood, etc. is something I do know a little about.

What are you trying to handle with it?

I do not know the capabilities of your L series - but, honestly, my only thought was how that arrangement will limit the size of log you're looking to handle. With that said - there are some advantages to keeping that out there with the rotator.....

But in your application, I don't care for the horizontal arrangement/perpendicular to the plate, and using the tilt of the loader, either....

I wouldn't want to tackle a 16'x24" hickory with it, but I bet your setup would handle some decent softwood, and smaller hardwood stuff as is.

Otherwise - as I've said again and again - really enjoy your builds and ingenuity. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
My purpose for building this is to handle the firewood length logs after I cut up a tree and some small piles of brush. I've been clearing a couple of acres of my land of the cottonwood and brush. After I down a tree, some of them on the large side, I cut them up into firewood length and then make small piles of them that I pick up with my brush grapple. Some pieces at the base of the tree are too big to lift, so I end up rolling them to the pile. With the wood grapple, I picture being able to approach the log from any angle, rotate and pick it up. Where I go from there remains to be figured out depending on how many it can handle at one time and of coarse, how friendly it will be to operate. I picture myself enjoying being on my tractor and saving some wear and tear on my back. Win win!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Yooper, how far in front of the SSQA is the grapple and how much does it all weight? I have picked up oak logs 60" and 20" across with my 42" pallet forks close to the end of the forks with my FEL on my L3901DT. From what you are said, it sounds like you will be picking up smaller blocks with the grapple and I think it will work.

Really enjoy reading your threads on building things. You do a really nice work, I wish I could just weld, let alone weld like you do. Keep the projects and pictures coming.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Yooper, how far in front of the SSQA is the grapple and how much does it all weight? I have picked up oak logs 60" and 20" across with my 42" pallet forks close to the end of the forks with my FEL on my L3901DT. From what you are said, it sounds like you will be picking up smaller blocks with the grapple and I think it will work.

Really enjoy reading your threads on building things. You do a really nice work, I wish I could just weld, let alone weld like you do. Keep the projects and pictures coming.
What you see in the pictures is 30" out. I'll try and weigh it later this afternoon.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My purpose for building this is to handle the firewood length logs after I cut up a tree and some small piles of brush.
Thanks much for the explanation.

Definitely win-win! I can relate to saving wear-and-tear on the back.

I'd bet your length/weight will still leave more than enough capacity for what you want.

Sounds like a great way to handle those big cottonwood pieces. I made a very simple log tong lift for the wood splitter my Dad and I built/used 35 years ago. 3 foot diameter sugar maple can be heavy......

Looks great, and look forward to see it in action!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Did an experiment here with the outriggers by forming them so they widened out where they attach to the SSQA. Also canted them back fifteen degrees to move the CG back towards the tractor. I also offset the grapple about an inch and a half to the left as you're sitting in the tractor to help me with my vision of what is going on up in front. Doesn't seem like much but it does help.

Ordered a linear actuator from Surplus Center to handle the rotation. It has 500 lbs of force and a speed of .71" per second, which I think will not be too fast.

Attachments