Cab progress

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Lookin' good. If you do the double wall, throw in some styrofoam insulation- cheap, easy to work, and better than an air gap.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Whether you go to double wall or not, there is a simple trick to keeping your wiring out of harm's way.
Take some short pieces of angle and box in the frame angles where you want run wires. 6" pieces of angle spaced 6" apart work well. That gives you a place to feed wires through that is easy to get at and protects them from harm.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I glued Armaflex sheet to the inside of the roof on mine. A dome light is handy. Unless your cab is a lot different from mine, the radio will only see use if you have headphones. My cab is too noisy to listen to a radio.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
The build looks good. One suggestion for the ceiling, don't use the diamond plate. Use something that will absorb sound. With the hard panels all around you, ALL the noise generated by your Kubota will be amplified. The ceiling of my B3200 with a Curtis Cab has foam rubber type padding on it. Makes a big difference.

I use over the ear headphones with built in radio (for entertaining the voices in my head :) ) while I work with most of my machinery. Helps protect against hearing loss and does't disturb the neighbors.

Digger Dager

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
The kubota's diesel is pretty quiet compared to my other machines, the big muffler doesn't hurt I'm sure. I've isolated the cab from the frame with all rubber mounts, so there shouldn't be much vibration passing through. I have Styrofoam insulation that will be going on the back of all the metal panels.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The loudest noise in the cab will come from the HST right under the seat. You can seal up around and under the seat with some foam, but likely the HST whine will still be loud enough to require hearing protection.

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I have a huge rubber mat about an inch thick of solid rubber that will be under the seat/floorboards/etc with holes cut for levers and controls, that i did to keep the heat in and cold out. hopefully it'll cut down on the HST whine.

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Been a few days, thought I'd check in. All panels are cut, glued with heavy duty epoxy, and about 200 rivets holding it all together. Feels very solid, but surprisingly light. My doors don't clear as well as I'd like them to after bolting everything into place.

Tomorrow I'm taking it off and getting ready to primer and paint, then back on and will do the electrical. I'm way over time and way over budget at this point, but it's getting there slowly but surely. Doesn't help having been sick the last week.

I'll get better pictures later, I wrapped up tonight at 10:30 and I'm exhausted.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Looks good. My door was perfect when tacked. Put it on the saw horses and finish welded and it warped at one joint or another, cuz it has a slight bow now. I was pretty bummed but not cutting and re-welding at this point...

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Hit the ground running today. Got a lot of stuff buttoned up and started interior insulation. The foaming stuff in a can said "use sparingly", they weren't kidding. The stuff came out with the consistency of melted marshmallow, it was extremely sticky.

Was getting ready to paint when I realized I'd overlooked a small factor. I can't get it off. I pulled the tractor out, everything cleared by a large margin. So I'll call that a success. Unbolted everything and went to slide it off, except it didn't. It wasn't heavy at all, maybe 100-120lbs max. But it was awkward, and frame mounts bumped pedals, so it's like there needs to be a person on pedals, one on each side lifting, and one in the back to support. Not the way I had planned it. I will look into getting a hoist in the garage, but I think I need to come up higher than the roof.

Tomorrow I think I'll get my feguson loader, that thing gets about 12' high and should be high enough to lift it off. Once off, two people could lift it easily, and set it down for paint in the garage. Maybe even 1.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
One of these would do the trick. I use this often when welding. Allows me to get the height exactly where I want it to be comfortable. On the negative side, it takes up a lot of real estate when not in use.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Get you some used camper jacks and mount on it to jack it up for removal?

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I kept thinking hoist to lift it up from the top, but jacks to lift it up is a pretty good idea. I'll have to make something for it, but that shouldn't be to hard. Only has to go up about 18-20" and the tractor could drive out under it.

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
A week and a half with the flu set me back pretty far on the project. Feeling better now, though. Had a buddy come over and we got the cab off without to much trouble. Put it in the garage on a saw horse and got ready to do some painting.

Also got all the insulation done. Used 1/2" thick rigid insulation cut and glued inside of every panel. Not sure it will do much, but $12 for the sheet, figured I may as well try.

Picked up a $8 paint gun from harbor freight and got ready to shoot with my pancake compressor. Neither were very reccomended, however with the oil based paint properly thinned, it shot really well. The compressor was going non-stop and I had to slow down a few times, but over the course of 4 hours I got two healthy coats on. First is a matte black/primer mix which would stick to the steel and aluminum. Next will be kubota orange. I'm going to flip it up tomorrow and spray the bottom real good, more so as a protection against rust than anything else.

Thinking about pulling the hood and side panels off and painting them while I'm at it. Fenders seem to attach in more places than I can easily see, so I'm not sure I'll go that far.

Really can't wait to get back on track. Once it's orange I'll start wiring everything up. Have everything electrical ready to go, flood lights, radio, heater, flashers all in boxes. I do need to pick up some 12v switches though, not sure what kind I'm going to go with.

Here it is from the back.

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
And it's orange. The orange didn't go on nearly as easily as the black. Black went on even, coated nicely, and dried quickly. The orange, however, has not been nearly of a "complete" coat, and takes forever to dry. Same gun, temp, ratio of thinner to paint. I'm far from a paint expert, though. This is 2 coats, and if I get close I can still see the black through the orange.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Orange is a hard color to coat because of the type of solids used to make the color. Very little amount of solids makes it transparent. Yellow is another hard one. Only remedy is more coats.

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Some panel painting and the light installation today. Flood lights, flashers, and backup camera.

Panels are about ready. One or two more coats.

It's going to be a rats nest until I get the wire management done. Flood lights are decently bright, they're the same ones I used in my last built, so I think they should be good. The flashers have 3 on the front/back and 2 on each side. They will alternate, instead of all on, all off. All lights are LED. so draw should be minimal.

My only complaint is the LED's on the backup camera. They are on ALL the time, and are extremely bright. It's not like that on my other camera, and depending on how it is in the real world, I may replace it.

fatjay

Equipment
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Wig-wag flashers and flood lights hooked up. Flasher relay is not opperating as it should, one is on all the time, while hte other flashes. Amazon wants me to return it at my expense, buy another, and pay shipping for that one as well. I'm a bit annoyed with that. Basically paying full price twice for the same produce, one of which is defective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtcP3FF8OTg