It's Official...

goorange

Equipment
BX1870
Jan 20, 2017
Maryland, United States
...we just went orange. My new BX1870 was dropped off today. Still wondering whether I made a mistake by going with the 18 over the 23, but am really looking forward to using this machine.

Primary applications: FEL work, snow blowing, driveway repair, and light hauling.

Couple questions for BX owners...what are some must have attachments? I'm thinking a piranha toothbar is a given. Any other recommendations?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
ballast of some sort - hooks on bucket - lights on ROPS - storage medium.......

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Welcome to OTT!

Usage will dictate mods or accessories, but PTB and some ballast for FEL work sound like a start.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I recommend 3 things to start ( after the Piranha) loaded rear tires, rear wheel spacers, and a belly skid plate. That would be a great start

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Welcome to the club and let me tell you the 18hp is PLENTY for this chassis. I would honestly tell you if I ever ran into something over the last 4 years and 300+ hours that couldn't be done by my 18hp and there isn't a single instance.

I've moved hundreds of yards of stone and fill, grading with a 5' back blade, mowing with the 60" MMM and most recently added a 52" snowblower. I was very concerned that I'd need more power with the blower but I'm so pleased to say it has NO trouble, plenty of torque to move mountains of snow.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
I am still on the fence with which bolt on teeth I want. The piranha looks nice but I also like the old fashioned 2" wide teeth evenly spaced. For now I am staying with the smooth bucket as I am still getting used to my box blade.

The belly plate is a great add. I have only 20 hours or so and I have already crawled under many times after sticks and branches wrapped up there. Mine is now on order.

Read the fabrication page for ideas. The one I liked most was a round bar behind the top of the FEL. Followed by a D-Ring inside the FEL. Mine will be more on the lower side than the top to avoid conflict with the pivot point.

One thing I still do not care for much is lack of tie down locations. I wan to know my chains or straps are set well and on a BX there are not many great spots.

goorange

Equipment
BX1870
Jan 20, 2017
Maryland, United States
Thanks for the responses, this has been good info.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the 18 HP. I read a few threads on OTT about the 1870 being adequate, but it's always good to hear about another success story and satisfied customer.

My 18 already has loaded rear tires, so the PTB will be next, then probably a set of bucket hooks. Looking forward to putting this machine to work on some projects.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Welcome to OTT and congrats on joining the orange team.

I have not used it yet but according to the majority here the tooth bar is a must so I took the advice and purchased one installed it this past weekend.

A "real" tool box IMO is a must.

I installed a mat to help protect the floor.

Added a couple of drink holders to inside of fender wells.

Chain strap holder to FEL.

Coming soon will be lights on the ROPS and replacement of my headlight bulbs with LEDS.

Attachments

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
I used the frame to bring it home. The straps slid some and after time would show wear. I would prefer fixed hook points short of using the bucket or BH. Everyone I know uses the frame and I have not seen any problems with losing the tractor that way.

On the front of the frame by the guard I am thinking of adding two shackles as fixed smooth tie down points. I am still looking at the rear for the same ease. Not a huge problem just an idea.

goorange

Equipment
BX1870
Jan 20, 2017
Maryland, United States
Took the 1870 out today for a little FEL work and was satisfied with its performance. No issues lifting large rocks or pushing through old, rotting, stumps. Even with weighted bar tires, there was a little slippage in the woods. However, 4wd resolved the problem. So far, so good!