b7800 wont crank

jwolfe

Equipment
kubota b7800/belly mower,woods fel,howse rotary tiller,
May 3, 2012
Pinnacle, nc
I did some fel and mowed for about a couple of hours. Getting off turning the tractor off and on with no problems. Parked it in the shop turned it off and then decided to move it somewhere else and it wont crank. I moved and jiggled both ptos, pushed clutch in and out moved the hst pedal back and fourth the seat safety switches seam to be functioning. The battery has 12.4 volts and i had the starter tested. The only way i can get it to crank is if i jump the starter(big post to small post). What could be the problem. Any advice would be helpful. I jumped it this morning and mowed the lawn with no problem. Parked it and tries to crank with key and nothing but the usual click.

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Re: b7800 want crank

It is usually one of three problems areas;
Elect safety /controls (fuses, lockouts)
Fuel concerns (filters,poor fuel,air in lines)
And then Batt / starting/charging circuits

In my experience it's usually in that order. Then maybe consider the big problems.

jwolfe

Equipment
kubota b7800/belly mower,woods fel,howse rotary tiller,
May 3, 2012
Pinnacle, nc

I changed the fuse on the starter and the one under the hood for starter solenoid. They where both good but i changed them anyway. Sill nothing. Is there anymore fuses that i might need to check. I dont know were they are really. Only ones i knew of where the 2 i changed. when i jump it nothing is on and it doesent move. i dont know if that means the ptos, hst pedal, and seat safety switches are the problem or not.The battery has 12v on it and so does the starter! If iam standing next to the tractor and engage or disengage the ptos, i hear a clicks at both positions. Same with the hst.

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn

bypass the safety switches one by one and see if its one of those.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have the same problem, but will start if I push pedal way in and keep turning the key. Is there an adjustment on foot pedal? Seems like it might be key switch?
Yes on the side of the bell housing is the switch, 2 nuts move it up and down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Have the same problem, but will start if I push pedal way in and keep turning the key. Is there an adjustment on foot pedal? Seems like it might be key switch?
If the adjustment NIW said does not work......take the two wires running to that switch and connect them......

the safety police will frown on that, but it does solve the problem for good!;):)

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Where is the housing located you mentioned?
The "housing" is the enclosure for the clutch. It is at the back of the engine just before the transmission.

I think the name "bell" came from its shape being similar to an old church bell but I could be wrong on that

Dave