kubota 4150 electrical (?) problem

bobmeist

Equipment
kubota 4150, smyth welding 72" snowblower
Dec 13, 2017
commanda
My 4150 sometimes starts when the key is turned but sometimes I have to hold it in the start position or switch it off then on repeatedly and it starts. This morning I started it, -20c, with a boost, blew 1/2 my driveway and it lost power and quit. I started it again twice with a boost. Btw the battery was fully charged when I first started it with boost assist. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it quits and why the starter switch doesn't always start it. Also dash lights go on when I turn the key even if it doesn't engage the starter.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That's a L 4150 ....correct?

IF battery is fine, then you have cable problems. Remove all cables from battery, remove neg first then pos - clean the pos and place back on - clean neg and replace it on battery.

Any difference? IF not - you might have a switch that is going bad - the reason it is shutting down may or may not have anything to do with the connections. It sounds as if the switch is losing it's connection and thus shutting the machine off - that is IF the switch does cut the engine off. That's a 30 year old machine, might use the throttle cable to cut off the fuel to pump - I an not sure. You might have algae in the fuel too - or water, and it is freezing or clogging.

Check the connections first - then place fuel treatment in if not already in the fuel. At -20 .....lots of things don't work well!;)

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The two symptoms are likely unrelated.

A common thing with these Denso starters is the contacts inside the solenoid get pitted and worn over years of use and become hit-or-miss when the key is turned. Many people replace the whole starter but its quite easy to just put in new contacts like these.

Once a diesel like the L4150 is running, there's nothing electrical that keeps it running - only to shut it off. When the key is turned off it activates a fuel cutoff solenoid that kills fuel to the engine, but unless some freak short circuit is powering that solenoid, something different is causing it to quit - probably fuel-related.

Last edited:

bobmeist

Equipment
Dec 13, 2017
commanda
I agree now, after talking to some heavy equipment operators, that I have a fuel problem and an electrical problem. I did confirm with the fuel suppliers that I was getting "winter" fuel when I bought it. However as there was just over 1/2 tank there might have been some condensation (water) that got into the fuel. I put in about 3/4 liter of diesel methyal hydrate in this morning and will try it again this afternoon. The unfortunate thing is that with the cab on the tractor is 8'3'' high and my garage door is only 8', therefore no warm place to try to track down the electrical problem.

Thanks for your input. It will help solving this problem.

bobmeist

Equipment
Dec 13, 2017
commanda
I put a liter of diesel methyl hydrate in about 3/4 tank of gas and it ran like a charm for an hour or so.

Now to track down the electrical problem. Thanks again for the advice.