Front tires keep going flat. BX2370, Is foaming them an option?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I'm tired of finding my front tires almost flat when I go to use my BX2370.

Is having the front tire foam filled an option. I did this on my yard trailers and wheelbarrow and other small equipment.

I know foam filling makes the tires heavy. Is that a problem?

The other choice is to have inner tubes installed.

I'd like to resolve this once and for all. Ideas?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have the same problem.....right front for some reason......
Hit it with slime, and it did it again - then hit some more with slime ( I had a lot of it)

Tubing is the best answer - but foam would be a good one too! How does foam react when there is a great load on the FEL?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I had a front tire which started loosing air quickly. Put bubble detector on the tire and seams and could not find the leak. This wheel had a tractor stem on it and I hit that with the bubble detector and found the leak. The stem has an O ring inside it that I replaced. That was it!

rowe cbr

Equipment
bx25d bx2750d blower 60"deck
Dec 14, 2017
parkton Md
Mine did the same thing I used Liqui tube tire sealant with great results have not
gone down yet in over a year

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
Tube 'em. Problem solved. I had the same problems with my first BX; when I traded for my second one I specified tubed front tires upon delivery.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
We tried foam filled on our skid steer. Yes it solved the flat issues but brought on more problems than it was worth.

Tires wear increased by about double.
The ride was about as bad as it could get.
The added weight put extra strain on wheel bearings.

Tire change you have 2 options

1. buy new wheels and tires
2. burn the old tires off, sand and paint wheels then put tires and fill again.

We ended up going with radial tires and had way less problems all the way around.

I'd suggest tubes with slime.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Agree with you, except you might want to think about the bearing part.
Any wheel weight whether bolt on or tire filling do not put extra load on bearings, only things that go bumpers etc. do that.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Agree with you, except you might want to think about the bearing part.
Any wheel weight whether bolt on or tire filling do not put extra load on bearings, only things that go bumpers etc. do that.

Then why do a large majority of equipment with foam filled tires need hub, kingpin, and other related bearings more often than those without foam?

I bought a lawn mower years back that had foam filled tires. Each front tire weighed about 60 lbs. It had bearings, not bushings. Keep in mind I've had these mowers before and wheel bearings are never a problem with them in pneumatic tires. The foam filled mower never had a flat. But it did eat an HST and MANY front wheel bearings; as they are not designed to control that much weight. HST's were never an issue with them either. Occasionally had to replace a drive pulley but never had any issue out of anything else.

And that's just one example. Same principle applies to water filled tires on tractors. The excess weight is harder to control by that little wheel bearing, which has a maximum radial load and axial load. Axial load rating is usually a lot less than radial rating; adding weight to the tire increases the amount of axial loading on the bearings.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know for a fact when we quit using foam filled tires our wheel bearing trouble went away as well. Never had issues before or after, just during.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
With all due respect,what are you driving through?
Nothing rough. i’m on flat ground somwhat sandy. it’s not the us of the tractor . i think it’s the small diameter wheels and low air pressure.

btw - mine are turf tires. so i guess i’ll go with the tubes

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Think about it, no foam you have a cushioning effect, foam, no give so all the bouncing is transferred to the bearings.
Same way with your teeth. The ride without foam is a lot more forgiving on them.
:)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Nothing rough. i’m on flat ground somwhat sandy. it’s not the us of the tractor . i think it’s the small diameter wheels and low air pressure.

btw - mine are turf tires. so i guess i’ll go with the tubes
I believe your right, had the same trouble with my B3200, installed tubes, no more problems.