B1750 clutch

MtnDon

Equipment
B1750 with MCS loader
Oct 13, 2017
Tehachapi CA
Hey all

I am in the middle of a clutch replacement on my B1750 and have a dilemma with the pilot bearing. When I tore into the clutch it did not appear that a pilot bearing was still installed, I could see a thin band of copper in the end of the crank but that was it so I don’t have any reference. I ordered a new pilot bearing and oil seal along with the other needed parts, when I received the replacement bearing I saw that it has what looks like a plastic lining with holes in it. To me it seems that the holes are meant to hold grease and it does have a oil seal but the parts list calls it a dry bearing so my question is should I grease this bearing. I have a WSM but I can’t find anything on the pilot bearing or much detail on the clutch replacement. I included some pics since my description may not be the best.

Since this is my first post I will give a little detail on my equipment. I have a B1750 HST 4wd with power steering that I bought used about 15 years ago with around 2000 hours on it. I was told that it was used as a tug at the airport in Camarillo and was traded in for a new unit. I bought it from a mechanic at the the dealer who bought it after the trade and sold it on to me after he found he had no need for it. It had no attachments when I bought it and I added a custom made platform on a A frame for the 3 point that was used to lift 100 gallon trash bins full of horse manure and haul them to the curb for pickup. Since then I have added a SMC 2406 FEL, a Woods 48 inch box blade, a Woods 48 inch brush hog and a unknown brand post hole digger with a 10 inch auger. I now have almost 3000 hours on it and besides routine fluids and filters i have only had to replace the dynamo. About a month ago while running the brush hog I hit a squirrel hole and heard a loud bang and all forward progress stopped, it was still running but would not go forward or reverse. So I towed it back to the garage and split the tractor and found that the clutch disk had no spines left and here I am. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advise.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a dry bearing, you can use a little grease to put it in but it does not get greased, the plastic lining is Teflon that is used to lube the shaft.

MtnDon

Equipment
B1750 with MCS loader
Oct 13, 2017
Tehachapi CA
Okay thanks for the reply it seemed like a material like Teflon. I discovered I needed a oil seal and boot for the front propeller shaft tube so I am waiting on those parts. I am debating on replacing the rear main seal while I am there, it has not leaked a drop though.