L3000 not starting

davekopp

Equipment
L3000
Mar 26, 2014
Fombell, Pa
I have a 2000 model L3000. When I first start it each day there is no problem. If I shut it down then try to restart it I hear a clicking noise but it will not start. I've checked the battery and terminals. I've replaced the High/Low/Neutral switch. For the past few years I've had to move the High/Low lever to find the "sweet" spot to get it to start.

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Hmm . . I had a 2004 VW GTI that did the same thing . . turned out to be the starter. After the starter warmed up from the heat of the engine it would not work. Same solenoid clicking too . . . Shot in the dark . . tractors VS Volkswagens . . . :rolleyes:

Someone smarter and better lookin' than me will be along soon . . .

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Hmm . . I had a 2004 VW GTI that did the same thing . . turned out to be the starter. After the starter warmed up from the heat of the engine it would not work. Same solenoid clicking too . . . Shot in the dark . . tractors VS Volkswagens . . . :rolleyes:

Someone smarter and better lookin' than me will be along soon . . .
Sesms like a good place to start...

I'm not smarter but I may be better lookin' lol

Dave, how long after you shut it off does it have to sit before it will crank? (Just thinking about the mass that has to cool down or moderate).

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
What do you mean by "checking buttery terminals?". Are they tight then? A common problem is for the metal to expand when warm. Also that may apply to the ground connection on the frame. Might even apply to the connection on the starter. Clean them all up and tighten.

Starter is a DC motor with brushes. Could it be that they hang up? A whack to the starter might also show that situate. This is a common problem with in-the-tank gasoline fuel pumps in cars.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
What do you mean by "checking buttery terminals?".
You must have been hungry when you wrote that…..:p