Any car gurus here?

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Check the tires to make sure you are not missing a wheel weight. If they were balanced and the wheel weight is missing it can cause an out of balance condition, hence the thumping noise. Frank

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just read this again, and I have a question, are the hubs and wheel bearings one unit like on my GM truck? I had a wheel bearing go south and it sounded like what your saying. It seemed to be tight and wouldn't wander or wiggle. As a last ditch I replaced the wheel hub and that was it, even after taking it off you couldn't feel anything in the hub. But then you cant grease them either might have been moisture that wore a bearing away or the race I duno,, just a thought

dieseldude

Sep 21, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hi everyone,

My appologies for taking so long to reply. My family has been coping with the loss of a loved one and family is paramount to me.

An update, I tried the screwdriver on the bearing trick, heard only the faintest (less then a whisper) of roughness. Anyway a stroke of luck, I recieved an ad for a $19.99 oil change special from dodge. I decided to let them do it with everything going on, also had them do any recall work. Coincedently wheel bearings were on the recall list. When I let them do the service work, I asked for the old parts back to see what was happenning. When the service writer walked out, he handed me a bearing and a bag of parts to a bearing. Appearently the right front fell apart during disassembly.

Long story short, 2 new wheel bearings and an oil change later, it drives like a new van.

Thanks everyone for your input, it is much apperciated.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dude my deepest condolences to you and your family, loosing loved one is never an easy thing, Oh and I'm glad you got the front end squared away too

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My condolences also.

I've had more "odd" wheel bearing stuff go on - I couldn't help but suspect them. If that van of ours doesn't start - I assume its a wheel bearing! Happened just the other day!

Glad to hear you got it figured out!

Thanks for letting us know.