Short rant

Northern Rednek

Equipment
L3901
Apr 6, 2016
Murillo Ontario Canada
So I get a email from my Kubota dealer about a recall on the crankcase breather tube on my l3901. I guess it can freeze up in really cold weather like we get here. Said it will be fixed no charge to me. Problem is I have to rent a trailer to get my tractor to and from they’re shop. Doesn’t seem like no cost to me. I’m not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I would check into that. A few months back they came out to do this to my tractor, Product Improvement Campaign AG03616-L60 engine closed crankcase ventilation. They actually sent 2 guys out to do the work, 2 hour round trip for them with no charge to me. At the very least they should send someone out to pick up your tractor do the repairs and deliver it to you no charge

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So I get a email from my Kubota dealer about a recall on the crankcase breather tube on my l3901. I guess it can freeze up in really cold weather like we get here. Said it will be fixed no charge to me. Problem is I have to rent a trailer to get my tractor to and from they’re shop. Doesn’t seem like no cost to me. I’m not impressed.

I understand your rant - however, don't take this the wrong way, would you rather them NOT tell you? OR not notify you?:)

now....looking on a map, seems there is a dealer about 18 kilos from you.......HAVE you asked IF Kubota will come pick it up ? IS your machine "new" or have you had it past the warranty period. AND even if it is past, I would assume (and wrongly maybe) that they would come and get it for you anyway. Give them a call and see if they can come by and get it.....

the worst they can say IS no....and then I would be like you.....a little unhappy!;):)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Same or similar fix was done to mine in my barn. Tech came out and did it in about 30 min. No charge.

Northern Rednek

Equipment
L3901
Apr 6, 2016
Murillo Ontario Canada
They won’t do it at my place. It’s -18c these days lol. I am going to go in tomorrow and talk to them in person and see if they will pick it up and bring it back. I really don’t think I should come out of my pocket transport it. If they won’t come good for it I will contact Kubota direct if I can. Love the tractor this just has me a little ticked about the service.

Northern Rednek

Equipment
L3901
Apr 6, 2016
Murillo Ontario Canada
Different engine than his L3901.

If the OP is correct about "recall on the crankcase breather tube on my l3901" - I would ask the dealer what they plan to do. If it's just replace the breather tube, it might be a simple task that he can do.

They told me it was a somewhat big job. Not sure tho. I was working out of town and asked if I could bring it in on a Saturday. They told me a mechanic was there on Saturday but it takes longer then that. So to make things worst I would have to rent the trailer twice cause I’d had to drop it off on one Saturday and pick it up the next. That’s not they’re fault but really for a repair that’s not my fault I shouldn’t be on the hook for transport like this.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Surprised at how many seem to be of the opinion that transport should be at dealer expense. Every recall I have been through for vehicles or equipment, it has been the owners responsibility to get the unit to the service center. Just the way the cookie crumbles even though it may be inconvenient.

I would see if the dealer has a loaner trailer to minimize your expense.

Northern Rednek

Equipment
L3901
Apr 6, 2016
Murillo Ontario Canada
Surprised at how many seem to be of the opinion that transport should be at dealer expense. Every recall I have been through for vehicles or equipment, it has been the owners responsibility to get the unit to the service center. Just the way the cookie crumbles even though it may be inconvenient.

I would see if the dealer has a loaner trailer to minimize your expense.

The email that they sent me said it was a defect and that it would be fixed at no cost. When I read at no cost I figure that it shouldn’t cost me money.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The email that they sent me said it was a defect and that it would be fixed at no cost. When I read at no cost I figure that it shouldn’t cost me money.

Have you asked them face two face......if they will pick it up and return it???

If not - go and find the manager and talk to him in a tone that basically says
"I have no way of hauling - and the cost to haul would be very expensive"
and see what he says:)

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

I understand what you are saying. However, that does not change what I have experienced in the past. My opinion (and that is all it is) is that any dealer willing to haul or do the work in a remote location, deserves bonus points.

The consumers' definition of 'no cost' will be much more all-inclusive than that of the manufacturer. Kubota may narrow 'no cost' down to just the repair/retrofit itself.

Not trying to say who is right or wrong. Just pointing out that how we define something is influenced by the perspective we are viewing it from.

In this case, Kubota most likely allows for a certain amount of travel time on this campaign. However, I am willing to bet it is minimal.

Northern Rednek

Equipment
L3901
Apr 6, 2016
Murillo Ontario Canada
Have you asked them face two face......if they will pick it up and return it???

If not - go and find the manager and talk to him in a tone that basically says

"I have no way of hauling - and the cost to haul would be very expensive"

and see what he says:)

Lol I’m going to try that. To tell you the truth I was going to haul it down myself a couple weeks ago but I had a massive heart attack. Now I can’t drive for a few more weeks so that really complicated things. Was going to try the sympathy card thing but that’s not me hahahaha
But really I don’t think it’s right that I should have to pay anything to have it hauled down there.

Northern Rednek

Equipment
L3901
Apr 6, 2016
Murillo Ontario Canada
I understand what you are saying. However, that does not change what I have experienced in the past. My opinion (and that is all it is) is that any dealer willing to haul or do the work in a remote location, deserves bonus points.

The consumers' definition of 'no cost' will be much more all-inclusive than that of the manufacturer. Kubota may narrow 'no cost' down to just the repair/retrofit itself.

Not trying to say who is right or wrong. Just pointing out that how we define something is influenced by the perspective we are viewing it from.

In this case, Kubota most likely allows for a certain amount of travel time on this campaign. However, I am willing to bet it is minimal.

I also understand what your saying and at first that’s exactly what I thought, but I can’t just drive it down to the shop. And when I buy something online and for some reason there’s a problem the seller pays the shipping cost in rectifying it. Most of the time anyway.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Truly sorry to hear of your heart attack and hope the Doc's were able to fix you up. If the dealer is not aware of your personal situation, explain it to them. After all, they are human too, even if the manufacturer is not. I know this because I work for a dealer, of a different color. If they make any concessions, it will come from them and not from Kubota.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Lol I’m going to try that. To tell you the truth I was going to haul it down myself a couple weeks ago but I had a massive heart attack. Now I can’t drive for a few more weeks so that really complicated things. Was going to try the sympathy card thing but that’s not me hahahaha
But really I don’t think it’s right that I should have to pay anything to have it hauled down there.

Oh man sorry to hear that but they probably fixed you up better than ever. I still think if you go talk to them face to face they will take care of you. Wishing you all the best with this and have a great Christmas with family and friends, just remember no stress is good.

Northern Rednek

Equipment
L3901
Apr 6, 2016
Murillo Ontario Canada
Thanks for the caring. I’m in really good physical health. I work out like a madman and follow a strict diet so I’m actually doing very well for someone that had a heart attack 2 weeks ago. I should have been getting check ups every year cause of my family health history. I’m only 49. So I’ll take this time to tell everyone reading this to go get a checkup. It happened to me and I’m a machine lol. Seriously, go for a check up

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Dealer mechanic in my end of eastern Ontario tells me he is sent out to do a recall on much larger model right out in the open field. Takes about 8 hours.
Cold and very windy.

If unsuccessful in getting them to fix at your place or trailer to their place, if the machine is running well, I would drive it on the road. No big deal and if you have a cab, quite relaxing.

Dave

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
Sorry about your health issues, that comes first. As far as transportation for warranty work I remember reading in the warranty statement with one of my Kubotas is it’s the owner’s responsibility. But having said that I would think a good dealer that wants good customer relations would take care of that. Just makes sense

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Once again, in the back of the owners manual of every manufacturer that we vend for, in some form or fashion "transportation or service calls in or out of warranty period are the consumers responsibility"

"no cost" labor to do the correction and parts are 100 percent covered

But there is another way. Some recalls or PIP's have some travel time that the manufacturer will pay for if the unit has been retailed. Please ask your dealer if the recall will cover travel time for the tech to perform this recall.

This book should have been handed to you at time of purchase. Please read pg# 5
https://www.kubota.com/assets/warranty/kubota_warranty.pdf

Pat