New property cleared - sticks and debris removal

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
We just had our new property cleared and now we've got tons of sticks and debris to remove. I've got a 6' rake but it moves a lot of dirt. So, I was going to remove ever other tine to allow more dirt to escape. My plan is to windrow it and then push it into piles. I've got about 3.5 acres to clear and I'd like to hear from anyone who has been down this road. The property is an hour away so I want to maximize my time and minimize the trial and error. Thanks.

[/url]Untitled by bambam32, on Flickr[/IMG]

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I had the same problem with my rake, and I tried removing every other tine, which mainly just allowed sticks to get caught in between the tines. I never had any luck gathering sticks with it, just mounds up the dirt. However, when I got my grapple I found that opening it and floating it backwards worked really great. Don't know if you have a grapple or not. Also if you have a back blade with tines, that works pretty well too with it raked forward.

Wish I had better help with your rake, but I tried all kinds of things and it never really worked out for gathering sticks, rocks or brush. If you do find a fix, I would be happy to hear it as well.

M

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think you're using a tool that will work. As teg suggested, when you shorten the top link the ends of the teeth will extend further from the tractor and function more as a rake and less cutting into the ground.

Pull forward until you have a rake full then lift it to release the load. Back up and move over to start again. Pull forward to the same position and repeat. Soon you'll have a row of "trash". Then go perpendicular to the row and push that with your bucket, to the edge or start a pile. Just keep the edge of your bucket up enough to keep it out of the dirt.

This entire job is where it would be nice to have a regular tooth bar. You could point the teeth down and leave the tips at ground level and as you push forward you would have everything moving without any dirt.

https://www.everythingattachments.com/CA-Compact-Bucket-Bolt-on-Tooth-Bar-p/cal-cmpgpbotb.htm

Some experimenting, practice and patience will get you results. (But I'd buy the tooth bar, you'll see the difference between the piranha!)

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
besides the toplink trick....

a different tool works pretty good for this stuff.

a piece of chainlink fence as a drag grabs all kinds of stuff plus levels the ground out as you go.

but it doesnt really do a good job of rowing it up like a hay rake.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
sdk1968, if he's removing material as shown in the first picture I do not understand how a section of chain link fence would do any good. It would quickly be drug over some of that debris and floating on top with small sticks stuck in the links.

Might help level dirt AFTER the dead stuff is removed.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
No grapple in the current inventory. I watched a few videos on youtube this afternoon. I think as long as its dry I can hopefully skip the rake across the top. I do have an extra short top link that I can try as well. I'll try to post some pics when I get started.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
sdk1968, if he's removing material as shown in the first picture I do not understand how a section of chain link fence would do any good. It would quickly be drug over some of that debris and floating on top with small sticks stuck in the links.

Might help level dirt AFTER the dead stuff is removed.
D2,

OLOL... its kinda like walking in a windstorm with a sheet of plywood.

it gets caught & grabs on everything... roots still in the ground that he cut one end of... loose pieces.

might just be a regional thing?

same principle as a rake, drags it off or cuts it off instead of digging in.... just helps flatten as you go. most guys around where i live have a section of fence/lathe on an angle iron or tube so you can lift it a little on the front end & it piles up under there.

havent had to one at my new place yet but if i make another one will post it up.

kaiser715

Equipment
L2501/FEL/BH77 -- B2400/60"MMM/Bagger
Mar 17, 2017
Tramway, NC
I recently cleared about an acre. Looked about like your pic. Tried several ways...best was to use landscape rake turned to one side to the last hole, and try and rake into windrows... sort of worked, but not efficient at moving any distance (to edge of clearing).

Ended up, brought in dump trailer, picked up everything in tossing distance, throwing into trailer. Moved forward 25', pick and toss, move forward 25', pick and toss, repeat, repeat, repeat. Wasn't too bad, mostly with me and my wife, and some other family helping for part of the time.

Sometimes, you gotta get off the tractor.

Last edited:

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
This is also a situation perfect for putting gauge wheels on the rake. It won't dig in quite so much and gives you lots more control over how much material actually get's moved. Unless your ground is perfectly level, it can really be hard to control the height of the rake manually.

Attachments

Wildan

Equipment
L4240 HSTC &L3000DT
Sep 19, 2013
St.Lawrence Co.NY
Just went through the same exact situation;had about 5 acres cut with a Skid-Steer and forestry head.I ended up using the landscape rack and from grapple to gather the little piles to make big piles.PITA but it worked.Took me about 80 hours.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Im about to go through the same thing. I’ve considered tilling it to break it up and burry it. Also thought about a broom on the loader to move it into rows.

Plan C is an XM42 flamethrower and a prayer.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
The rain turned our new property into a muddy mess before I could get started raking. It'll probably July or August before it dries up. Bummer.

bherron1

May 7, 2017
Clarks Hill SC USA
I cut a three acre tract and removed the big stuff with chain saw for fire wood cutting the stumps low piled up the limbs and left the little stuff for mulch. After the small sticks and debris dried out I adjusted the rotary cutter to the high cut and chopped it up. Next and each cut will be down a notch until I get everything cut to where I wont it. Yep some times a little blood and sweat is needed.