Finding My Tractor's Total Weight

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I'm thinking of buying a car hauler trailer big enough to haul my L4600. I have the weight of the base tractor (Tractordata.com says 3100-3200 depending on options, I'll go with 3200). I can get the weight of the front loader from its manual I hope - could not find this online.

The tires were filled by the original dealer when the tractor was new. I bought it when it was 2 years old. They have a standard R4 type of tire.

I don't need to know down to the pound, just need to know whether a trailer with two 3500 lb axles will handle it. The next class up seems to be 2x5000 lb. The trailer itself is going to take up some of that and I don't want to be cutting it too close.

Would the dealer be able to help me with this question or is there a quicker way?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is there a place with truck scales nearby? Something you could drive the tractor to get weighed?

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Great idea but I'm miles from anywhere, pretty much. I wish I had done it when I had the tractor in town last year. Took me an hour to drive it there on back roads to do some work.

I think I'm getting close. I think the tires are filled with beet juice (RimGard) and they have a website to calculate weight. I found the stock tire size for the tractor so I have that done. Don't have the weight of the loader. I'll have to check the manual - it's nowhere online.

If it weighs 1000 lb then the total is about 5200 lb with no other implements. A 7000 lb trailer is going to weigh at least 1500. So I'm pretty close to capacity and no room for another implement. I'm thinking a heavier trailer is in order.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
OK.........Using TractorData to tell me the size of your Industrial Tires, here is a good estimator of your loaded tire weights based on WASHER FLUID liquid. NOT Calcium Chloride or heavier ballast liquid.

The Front 10 x 16.5 Industrial Tires hold 12 gallons of liquid each. Using washer fluid at 8.5 lbs per gallon and then cutting that number back to 80%, each tire would weigh an additional 82 lbs loaded.

The rear 17.5 x 24 Industrial Tires will hold 55 gallons of liquid. 55 x 8.5 then cut back to 80% would be around 375 lbs per tire loaded.

So your loaded tires would give you an additional weight of 914 lbs total "IF" they are loaded with a washer fluid or medium that weighs close to the same as water. This number could be much higher if they used a calcium Chloride solution in each rim.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A second for the 10K or better trailer, and make sure it has electric brakes on both axles.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
If you plan on moving anything other than just the bare tractor with loader, get the 10K trailer and not worry about it. That way you can carry an implement or 2 with you. ;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It's more than just load capacity. The heavy rated trailers will handle better on the road and be safer overall.

I bought a 12k rated 20' which has worked out great for my little tractor tractor. It gives you enough room to shift your load around depending on what implement you have. If you plan on doing a lot of hauling you might even want to look at a gooseneck.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
My L3410 was barely within the capabiities of my 7k trailer, but it was HARD on the trailer, and stressfull to tow.
Definitely go with a minimum 10k trailer.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
If you really want to know the weight there is a simple way to do it with a bathroom scale. Remember the principle of levers or see saw. Try to do this with the tractor near level, right to left when weighing. Let's say the tractor weighs 4,000. Then each side weighs 2,000. Let's guess the rear wheel weighs 1400, the heaviest wheel. Scale reads to 300 pounds, but shooting for 250 +/-.
250/1400 is same as ratio of 0.18 between scale load and wheel load, So with your 7 foot long plank one end resting on a pipe or similar under the tractor about one foot in from center of tire and the scale with pivot on (pipe) sitting 4 feet out from tire center, (or 5 feet from that end pivot) the scale reading is 1/5 the tire weight. Calculate the ratio using distances from that end pivot under the tractor. Use that ratio for any other distances. Do front tire also unless the lifting of the rear takes the front off the ground.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Thanks for all the info guys. I a pretty sure the tires are Beet Juice (Rim Gard) and I calculated 1006 lb with just the rear tires filled.

Someone said on another thread the LA764 is about 1200 (just the arms). I figure the QA + bucket has to put it over 1500.

Finally the tractor itself, 3150.

Total 5656 with no other implements attached. Clearly too close for comfort with a 7000 lb trailer.

I agree with you guys that a 10K trailer is in order.

My friend has a 20 ft. and hopefully I can pull the tractor up on it and see how much room there is. I always tend to go smaller if possible for maneuverability, but as someone said, extra length lets you shift your load for optimal tongue weight and so forth.

Thanks for helping me through the thought process. I really appreciate it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'd say you're close to the weight of your tractor. Keep this in mind. Add another 1k for implements and could be more depending on what you may have. That's putting you close to 7k for easy figure. My 20' trailer weighs 3k.

That said you'll be getting close to max capacity on a 10k trailer. May be worth looking at a 12k or 14k. Don't make the mistake myself and I'm sure many others have made buying to small. Get the right one the first time and be done with it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Don't forget the rig you're towing the trailer with. A 10k trailer isn't going to be lightweight. So, it could be exceeding the safe towing capacity of a 1/2 ton pickup truck. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Some of the newer pickups have a 10k towing capacity, but having towed 9000+ with them of different brands and models, I will go out on a limb and say that they're over-rated grossly.

st8yd

Equipment
2003 L3130 HST, LA513, Pats easy hitch
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
I had a 21' 14k bumper pull flat bed trailer for many years, got tired of dealing with the wheel wells when I wanted to haul something other than the tractor. So I recently sold it and bought a 24' bumper pull 14k deck over flatbed so I can easily load and unload material, etc.
This trailer pulls way better than the smaller 21' trailer I had since the wheels are closer together and follow the truck much better and easier to keep it on the narrow roads.

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
If you were going to move it once and once only and not too far, you could probably get away with a 7000 lb trailer. Otherwise, the advice to go with 10,000 lb trailer with brakes on both axles is right on. I do believe some states require a CDL for hauling 10,000 lb or higher.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This trailer pulls way better than the smaller 21' trailer I had since the wheels are closer together and follow the truck much better and easier to keep it on the narrow roads.
Now I'm curious, why are the wheels closer together. All the deckover trailers I've seen are full width. Axles aren't shorter, the deck is wider.