Omg,what went wrong,filter ruptured

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I'm a little heartsick,and not sure if I have destroyed my tractor,or what's the cause. Anyone who follows this board prob knows I rebuilt the hst on my tractor,and have around 20 hrs of flawless operation since. Also added a loader,put a good 5 hrs without a problem. Then tonight. Snowed all day. Got home from work,started the tractor,lifted the bucket,then proceeded to clean the snow off the tractor. Then climbed into to seat and tried to move. Nothing. When's and got a flash light,looked to make sure it was in gear,yup,it's in low.then the heartbreaker,notice a large puddle of oil,shut her down,investigate,crawl underneath,lots of oil but shaft seals and suction lines are dry,seems to be coming from above. Take top cover off ,the hst filter is rupture at the rolled seam.
What gives? Did I hook up the loader valve wrong puttin undo pressure into the hst? Did I do something inherently wrong rebuilding the hst? Is this due to me using cheap store brand oil( plans was to swap it after 50 hours and move to Kubota synthetic) or was the filter flawed! Hope my tranny isn't cooked!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Kubota filter,as specified,Wally world trans / hydraulic oil,meets Kubota specs
that last part hurt a bit - but then again, the machine is 25 years old +,
have any idea of the internal pressure after the rebuild?

Not sure it is toast just yet - but I would fill it up with oil, new K filter and do a pressure test, maybe the relief valve aint doing the job??

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada

Not sure it is toast just yet - but I would fill it up with oil, new K filter and do a pressure test, maybe the relief valve aint doing the job??
I'm not sure it is toast either,want to focus on the root cause of the failure,correct that rather than blowing a second filter and spilling even more,and more expensive oil.
Would like to explore the plumbing of the valve,specifically,where the out and power beyond lines go,did I cross them,and did that cause the rupture

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
After milling it over in my mind,I am thinking I crossed the out and power beyond lines off the loader valve,and pressurized the hst,if so,at least it was getting oil,hope someone cane chime in with the proper plumbing senario

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did the three point work?
If it did, then the loader valve is correct.
You really cant pressurize the HST from the hydraulic system.
The line out of the top of the HST is an low pressure / suction line from the cooler on the front of the tractor.

I would first try changing the Filter, it's not the first time there has be a bad one out there that failed.
If it does it again then I would be looking at the relief valves in the HST unit.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I can't remember the tractor, but someone here fairly recently was having a similar problem, pressurizing the filter, a small valve was stuck or fitted the wrong way, not saying it isn't what NIW has said, but do a search and see if you can come up with a similar thread, I don't have time now.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Thanks for the replies,and yes the three point was working as it should,as was the power steering and the loader. I would still like a clear diagram of what line goes where. From memory the front port on the devertor block goes to the port marked" in"on the loader valve and the "out" port is connected to the back port of the devertor block, there is a unmarked port on the valve body that is connected by a adaptor to the fill on the tranny. This is how it was.plumbed on the donor tractor,but i am wondering,if the un marked port is power beyond,should it not be connected to the back side of the devertor block, and the "out " port dumping into the tranny(resavoir)

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
something doesn't sound right, if you have that much time on the rebuild already .. I buy my TDF at the same Wallnut as you, 7 years now, no issues. Yesterday was our first really cold day, any signs of water in the oil? Maybe a line or valve froze? I feel for you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the replies,and yes the three point was working as it should,as was the power steering and the loader. I would still like a clear diagram of what line goes where. From memory the front port on the devertor block goes to the port marked" in"on the loader valve and the "out" port is connected to the back port of the devertor block, there is a unmarked port on the valve body that is connected by a adaptor to the fill on the tranny. This is how it was.plumbed on the donor tractor,but i am wondering,if the un marked port is power beyond,should it not be connected to the back side of the devertor block, and the "out " port dumping into the tranny(resavoir)
You have it hooked up right, because if it wasn't either the three point or the FEL wouldn't work.
The three point relies on the PB being set to it, and the IN and Tank on the valve for the FEL require they be right or it wouldn't operate. ;)

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Went to the Kubota dealer and picked up a new filter and some oil. Put on the filter and topped up the oil,took 4 litres. All is well,everything is working as it should.
The Kubota dealer echoed Wolfmans words,three point works,it all as it should be. Out of curiousity I tried lifting the 3 point and the loader at the same time,and that works.
Big sigh of relief !
Thanks to all who responded,or shared my concerns,reply or not.
I do plan a complete oil change,just too cold now

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Out of curiousity I tried lifting the 3 point and the loader at the same time,and that works.
Wait, what?

You can lift the 3 point and the FEL simultaneously? That doesn't sound right, AFAIK, Power Beyond cuts flow to the 3PH when the FEL lever is moved out of neutral.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Wait, what?

You can lift the 3 point and the FEL simultaneously? That doesn't sound right, AFAIK, Power Beyond cuts flow to the 3PH when the FEL lever is moved out of neutral.
If this truely signals a issue,i would like to get to the bottom of it,I feel I have dodged a bullet once and don't want to push my luck.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Just one thought,the " devertor " block n the b1750 is actually a priority valve,I believe,could this have a impact?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Just one thought,the " devertor " block n the b1750 is actually a priority valve,I believe,could this have a impact?
Ok, I'm just trying to think this through. Thinking out loud as it were:

A priority valve isolates flow to secondary systems if the hydraulic pressure drops below the set point. So, assuming the priority valve is set to provide fluid to the 3PH provided the pressure is above, say, 1,700psi, and assuming the pump can supply, say, 2,000psi, then lifting the FEL might not drop the pressure below the set point. So yes, in that case then I guess the FEL and 3PH could operate simultaneously

If that tractor is set up for "open centre" type controls, the line pressure beyond the priority valve should be near-zero unless and until a control is operated. There is a relief valve at the 3PH and another at the FEL. Those should protect the high pressure lines once a control is activated.

The filter shouldn't be in a high-pressure line, it should be in the suction line. The only way it could see pressure is if the entire case was pressurized. Is there any chance the case venting is plugged? That possibly the case got pressurized when the FEL cylinders retracted?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

Question. What kubota spec does that cheap crap meet? The specification of the material that the buckets are made of? Or???

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Question. What kubota spec does that cheap crap meet? The specification of the material that the buckets are made of? Or???
says it meets Kubota specs, sorry, I must be careful with my spending, and had planned on changing the oil after a short period.ironically, it was the genuine Kubota filter that failed, not the store brand oil.Btw,the kubota dealer was not surprised the filter failed,says he sees it from time to time

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
says it meets Kubota specs, sorry, I must be careful with my spending, and had planned on changing the oil after a short period.ironically, it was the genuine Kubota filter that failed, not the store brand oil.Btw,the kubota dealer was not surprised the filter failed,says he sees it from time to time
The filter is on the low pressure side.....so WHAT pressure is there that would blow out a filter? I would think it should be very rare that a filter would rupture on the low pressure side. I would take a picture of that and SEND it to Kubota........their filter.....