BX mowers good/bad ?

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
I have been looking at the BX series with a mid mount mower, I would like something with a steering wheel.
I realize they won't be as fast as a zero turn, but I'm wondering how the mowing compares to a zero turn. The zero turns have a deep deck, does the shallower deck on a BX model make much of a difference?
Are the decks hard to change blades etc.?
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have used mine for every thing from broom grass to orchard grass black berries and multi flora and then cut the front yard with it,, I dont know anything about the z turn. What I do know is the BX will do everything a Z turn will maybe not as fast but it will do it and a whole lot more. See what you have to understand is the Z turn is just that a lawn mower, the BX is a small tractor, a real tractor, just smaller

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I like my bx mower on a tractor.
Cuts nice. And yes it is slower than a z turn but I like the seat time.

And as stated earlier it is a tractor.
A z turn can not dig, haul and other stuff.
It is easy to remove, attach the deck.

Ray

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Ray
Ray said it better than I ever could!!!

Damn fine machine ....for it ALL!

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
BX2680 with a 60" drive over deck does a great job on my yard. Deck removal is easy and blade change out is simplified by using the front end loader.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA

Ray
+1

The BX mows great!! And, as bxray states, allows you to do so much more!

Moving mulch, gravel, dirt, random heavy items, etc... Having the FEL is so handy. Could also get a carry-all for the 3 pt. hitch to help.
Digging and breaking up dirt with the FEL
Potential backhoe if needed/wanted.
Plowing snow if necessary.

A zero turn, for the most part, will just mow.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I cannot imagine how I would be able to maintain my property without my tractor. If you are looking for a mower, then buy a mower. If you are looking for one of the most versatile machines on the market that can also mow your yard, then buy an appropriately sized tractor. Any of the BX series tractors can mow very well but if you are looking at the BX primarily as a mower, then you should get a mower instead of a tractor. No BX tractor will mow a lawn as well as a Zero Turn Mower will.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
While I have very little zero turn experience, my BX mows better than any of the traditional riding mowers I've owned. If you have a flat concrete slab--e.g., a garage floor--deck removal and blade changes are plenty easy even with a non-drive-over deck. As mentioned, the front end loader makes an ideal deck hoist.

If I was mowing 2 or more acres weekly, I could maybe justify a separate, speedier zero turn; with less than that, I'm better off having the money, storage space, and additional maintenance time applied elsewhere.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I think the Bx mowes great, with that said it also depends on how much you are mowing. The first year I mowed my 3 acres. Then got a good deal on a 0turn. It cut my mowing by about 30-45 minutes. Also kept 80-100 hours a year off my Bx. Now its a back up.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
My BX is my mower, it mows just fine, and can mow surprisingly fast if I want to. The shape of your yard will affect if a BX or something else will be be better. I've got one spot I can't get to with the BX. I'll be landscaping to make that area not mowed area. In hindsight I'd seriously think about a 3pt mower. With a rear mount mower I could back into some tight areas but with the mid mount I between the front overhang and the rear tires interior corners are tough and need followup. I don't have a drive over deck, but changing the deck does take some effort, I think a 3 point mower would be easier to take off and put on. Usually I just keep the deck on but serious digging with the loader necessitates removing the deck.

Now as others have said, the BX is not a mower, it is a TRACTOR that happens to look a lot like oversize mower. My BX is the best investment I've ever made, I think about yard work differently, I haven't used a wheelbarrow in quite a while, a loader and tractor are awesome.

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
Well I went and bought a 2008 BX1850 w/ 54" mower 185 hours on the meter
I ended up giving the guy 4000 dollars for it, he was selling it to buy a bigger tractor/mower.
I don't know if I paid to much or not but the only thing I could find wrong was the hood ornament was gone and there was no BX 1850 label. and the fellow I bought it from didn't use the air compressor and blow the grass clipping off of it the last time he used it. Other than that it is really in good shape, no scratches of dings and it has a front end guard also.
I guess that is my Christmas present to my self :)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I would say that you got an outstanding deal. Hope you enjoy!

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
Do you personally know the seller? A deal like that sounds like maybe he didn't really own it!
Never met him until today, talked on the phone several times.
It was listed on Craigs list for almost a week. He had bought an acreage and is going to build a house there next summer. Reason for selling is a bigger tractor is needed .
He gave me a bill of sale with his name address etc. retired Army Major.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
The BX is much more versatile machine. If you can only have one machine it’s the choice. The zero turns are a one trick pony, they mow! I have a ZD326P for the amount of mowing I do, it’s a beast. Everything else I do with my L3830. Life is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
I've got the 54" deck with the drive-over feature. It cuts as well as anything, maybe a bit better once I got the anti scalp wheels set up right. And mounting the deck is a breeze, as well as getting it off.

Here's my complaint though. In order to mount my snowblower I had to remove the drive on/offf mounting frame from the underside of the tractor. Not a huge deal, but the time and effort does not justify the hundreds of dollars spent on the feature. If I had to do it again I would just get the regular deck and skip the drive-over altogether.

ps: axle kit for the deck is worth the money...