Does anyone own the Lane Shark cutter??...

mmpsteve

Equipment
MX5200. Landpride Bushog. Lane Shark FEL cutter. EA 60" Grapple and 72" BB
Dec 12, 2017
Indiana and Alabama
Yes, Sir, I own the Lane Shark. I've only put a few hours on it, so can't give a full review, but so far it's working as expected. Very high quality workmanship and components. You can definitely bog it down if you get into too thick or heavy of material. I don't think it's meant for heavy woods clearing, but more for maintenance. We were told to run it off the rear remotes, and that's what we've done. You need around 9 gpm flow to run it efficiently. So far, I've cleared some heavy brush and small saplings. It's slow going in the heavy stuff, so I've ordered a 60" rake grapple to do the heavier clearing. I'm kinda new to this stuff, and no expert, but so far I can recommend the Lane Shark for what it's designed for.
Steve

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
This would work out great at our camp if our roads didn't have ditches.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Read up on it as it's designed for cutting ditches! ;)
Yea I saw that. We have some steep ditches next to our roads. In order to cut the limbs back, I would have to drop two tires into the ditch and drive parallel to the road to reach the limbs to really cut them back. I like the concept. It would be great for limbing food plots.

mmpsteve

Equipment
MX5200. Landpride Bushog. Lane Shark FEL cutter. EA 60" Grapple and 72" BB
Dec 12, 2017
Indiana and Alabama
For anyone interested, there's more content and videos on their facebook site that you can access at the bottom of their page. (I tried to post link, but don't have enough posts)

Havn't looked at their Instagram, or the other options where they may have content. I'm not really a social media type. The videos you can see are an accurate depiction of what this machine can do, but I've not tried all the various positions, etc... I did clear a fenceline road that looks almost identical to one of the pictures, and it worked just like you see.

Steve

Last edited:

KubotaPartsJoe

Equipment
M6-141 w/15" Batwing Rotary Cutter
Wanted to let you all know the Lane Shark is one reliable multipurpose cutting beast, heavy duty and can cut up to 4" depending on type of material you are trying to clear. I have been selling and installing these ever since they were introduced, (we are the first Kubota Dealer to ever have them) so we have been on ground floor up. Tractor needs to have a minimum 9-10 gpm hydraulic flow rate. The small hydro motor will go to 14 gpm but we offer 2 more larger capacity motors, one for 15 gpm up to around 19 gpm, and then one for larger 20 gpm & up (more for skid steer applications). All units are designed to run off of a dedicated rear remote and have to have a line running back to dump, this line is to run back to the hydraulic pump on tractor so it will have a continuous flow of fresh cool fluid to cutter moter.
If you have any other questions please feel free to message me.

Attachments

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Wow that is one cool looking implement!

Had visions of using that to clear the side brush/limbs vertically over a 1/2 mile private road I live on! Just realized the B2650 doesn't have enough flow (8.7) to handle this implement. That sucks. I'd need a bigger tractor.

Found this YouTube video of how it's used, pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5PRIOTBOg

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
I bought a Lane Shark several months ago, I have no complaints. Well built implement and it does exactly what it is designed to do. I have it attached to an MX5800 and it saves an incredible amount of time limbing up trees and keeping the hard to get to areas clean. I would recommend it to anyone that has a large road system or someone that needs to keep a homestead tidy. The first afternoon I had it I cleared a half a mile of road on both sides in less than an hour.

The things that I tell everyone about the Lane Shark is that it is not a clean cut pruning instrument as it will leave a jagged cut on the limb stubs that are left on the tree. I also note that once you cut a limb that is hanging in the road you have three options: drive over the limb (which can cause you trouble), shut down the unit and tractor and remove the limb from the road or drive around the limb. In a perfect world you could drive over every limb and shred it with the bush hog behind you but it just don’t work out that way every time.

One final thought on the LaneShark is that a fifteen foot limb hanging out into the road that is two or three inches around is no problem. A one or two foot limb the same diameter is a little different. The small limb will often just explode when touched by the Lane Shark. This is why I recommend wearing some kind of eye protection and face protection (like a chainsaw shield) when running this unit.

All in all this implement is my second favorite workhorse only behind my EA grapple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lwarranty

Jun 4, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
I have one on a 5010 Mahindra cab unit and a Ford 3930 with 8' dual rotary cutter, offset cut of my creek banks are weak at best, I get another 10" of cut past the dual spindle unit but if your not REAL careful, the unit will hang in the ground, its great to trim shrubs / bushes but fire and forget its not. I have a messed up neck so chose a front mounted unit so I could see easier and hopefully not diving in and backing up, unfortunately, with the narrow cutting width, cow ruts, occasional muskrat or ground hog hole, I bent the swing arm plate in the first thirty minutes. At 63 years of age and spending my life on a rig, I could see its weaknesses / user error disaster window wide open - and I found myself in it. One example using low/low, 2x4 walked into a < 4" sapling about 2' off the ground and let'r rip, it cut it and then while rolling forward the back caught the edge of the sapling and bent the angle iron runner / trim at bottom and bowed the backing plate. I took a piece of 5"x2' wood off the ground a "bapped" it and it bent the runner / back plate straight easily (surprisingly easy) , I took the two bolts that held the arm to the back plate and rotated the disk and re-installed, it pulled it back in making it easy to once again pull the pins to pivot it in / out of bank mowing. My first impression is keep it in the air and you have a winner, get it close to the ground and you better be handy. Additionally, the loader / rig has 20 hours on it and like all, you don't have 100% slack free pivot on the bucket roll, so pulling the pins and starting to pull it back towards the tractor if your not careful, will ruin your day, its best to have it low to the ground so if any free play in system will let it only drop a couple of inches before hitting the ground, then roll your bucket hydraulics to take up the slack. I talked to these folks before they outsourced I guess or while they were, and I could see generation improvements from the first few they punched out. It really could use a break away of sorts, in the least a 8" to 10" chain catch that would allow one to say "jeepers I was lucky" instead of "oh snap". I've found similar to other postings, its a bit of a challenge choosing what / where to cut to keep limbs and debris from become a professional gymnast climbing up/down. I guess if it were less money I would say - ok I got what I paid for, but 3600+ seems really pricey for the cut. If your wanting to trim limbs for clearance and such its a real charm, but it does leave one heck'uv'a nasty lashed limb so for the first few days your neighbors think you got hit by a tornado. I wouldn't buy it again, as I can see myself pulling the cab and replacing a clutch trying to work within the limits of the cutter, but since there is very little on the market to compare, I will be using my old three spindle mower on a boom for creeks and save the lane shark for limbs.

Your mileage may vary, I'm not for or against it but in my application which was creek banks and fence rows, its pretty unforgiving if you catch a post, stump, rut, anything you think it will get hung on, it pretty much will and without break away so-to-speak you get bent away.

Last edited:

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
For those that have one, how past the quick connect frame does it reach in the vertical position? I have a m5-111 and want it to at least cut just past the wheels.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
I have front hydraulics installed by the dealer on my mx5200. Will it run off those or do I still need to run horses to the rear to operate a Lane Shark?

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
I have front hydraulics installed by the dealer on my mx5200. Will it run off those or do I still need to run horses to the rear to operate a Lane Shark?
You will need return line installed. It needs to free flow because of the momentum the cutter. It cant just instantly stop.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk