Biofuel Blues

Midlandsg

Equipment
L2850
Dec 4, 2017
Chatham, IL USA
Recently acquired a L2850 at a bargain due to owner neglect. The issue is the tractor set idle with biofuel over a duration, thus gumming up lines. Would like to know procedures or 'to do' for flushing/cleaning fuel lines to help become operational. :confused:

Thank you.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Midland.

I had a similar problem which required me to replace the fuel filter and put BioCide in the fuel tank to prevent algae buildup.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Does the tractor fire at all now? Has a compression test been done?

The L2850 is a nice tractor, usually worth restoring. Just correcting the neglected condition of biofuel in it may not be a big deal, but it might be wise to check out the machine's big stuff (compression, clutch, hydraulics) to be sure it's a good candidate.

To purge the fuel lines it helps to get the whole tractor quite warm - like it gets on a hot summer day (hard to do in December.). Open the tank end of the fuel line and the end at the outlet of the fuel transfer pump - blow out the fuel lines from the tank end with compressed air - go easy to avoid rupturing rubber tubing or the plastic fuel filter bowl. If it won't blow through, it will have to be opened and purged in more locations until it will.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
What biofuel? Biodiesel or Waste Veg. Oil straight? Each presents a different issue though the repair is the same sorta.

Both can clean the crap out of the fuel system clogging things with loosened crud, both gell in colder weather... just WVO more so, and both can attract water.... that attracts algae.

consider replacing all your fuel lines and filters. Will help solve most of these issues.

Search on how to prime the system to get her restarted if your not familure.

Oh and with that in mind..... primer pumps; if there is one, are notorious for going bad and allowing air in the system; not letting her run or start. An air leak may actually be your problem now that think about it. Though replacing fuel lines etc. will help with that too. If your not familiar with air leaks.... a search in here will help you there too.

Midlandsg

Equipment
L2850
Dec 4, 2017
Chatham, IL USA
The tractor was bought from a government surplus auction with very low hours. It will not start nor run in current state. Whomever was attempting to start it previously 'wore out' the starter where it needs fixed.

I do not know how long tractor has sat or what fuel they put in it but a person can speculate by the 'molasses' looking sludge, it was a biofuel. Regardless, looking for the best method to clean out the fuel system to get the machine running again.

Thank you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Dump the sludge and add biocide and fuel treatment and new fuel. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You may have to drain the whole system including fuel lines, and flushing the injection pump. The prime the whole system with fresh diesel.

The fuel system is pretty easy for the most part. Just time consuming. Especially draining the tank and removing the crud :eek:

I've had pieces of equipment gummed up over the years. I drained the fuel tank. If it's easily removable, then removing the pepcock after it's drained and steam cleaning the tank works pretty good.

Then had to disconnect fuel lines from the fuel pump. If it's standard fuel line, then I just replace it if it's clogged. It's pretty inexpensive and easier then trying to get the crud out of it.

The hard lines to the injectors, I disconnect them from both ends, and blow them out with compressed air. Make sure and use a back up wrench at the injection pump so the ports don't get loosened up.

Replace the fuel filter.

Do Not blow compressed air through your fuel pump or injection pump!!!!! You can cause damage.

Then I start the bleeding process. I get fresh diesel to the injection pump. Leaving the fuel lines from the injection pump to injectors disconnected. I crank the engine till I get good clean diesel out of the ports on the injection pump.This will also let you know if you have a blockage internally in the injection pump.

Then hook the lines to the injection pump but don't hook them to the injectors yet. I crank the engine over till I get good clean diesel out of the injection lines. This also makes sure anything missed by the compressed air gets worked out of the lines and doesn't plug the injectors.

Then hook the lines to the injectors but leave them loose. Crank till diesel spurts from the loose fittings and then tighten. This makes sure the air is out of the lines.

Then I proceed to try and start the engine :) diesel treatment and an algicide are a must when filling the tank back up :)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
hmmm..... something sounds fishy. Govt. would probably not be putting any Waste Veg. oil in it. If any biofuel it would be something like B5 (5% biofuel) or lower. All that will do as mentioned before is clean the crud out and stop up filters... etc. Might..... cause problem with older already degrading inside fuel lines especially those prior to requirements to use fuel lines that meet SAE J30R9 standards cause "Any fuel line that meets or exceeds SAE J30R9 is biodiesel compatible"

So my bet is you were fed some bull orr..... mechanic who reported on it just jumped to that conclusion. He/she would not be the first one to do that.

Clean the crap out of the fuel system as mentioned in previous threads. Use newer fuel lines that meet newest diesel SAE fuel line standards including those for biodiesl cause it is better fuel line anyway. Put in fuel cleaner and biocide..... prime and see what you have as others have mentioned.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Might take fuel pump and keep warm to melt crud out with old towels. But replace lines to engine. Hope your fuel filters are not a orange brown color. Mine were at 80 hours on BX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow. Remind me not to use biofuels.:eek::(

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion
Going through the same thing with a Case 400 I stupidly used free biodiesel. Worst con ever foisted on the populace. Be Ye Warned.

Pat

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
I am thinking soaking in kerosene may help.

Fuel lines are probably toast, pull the injectors are soak them for a week or two.

Pour a tablespoon clean motor oil down the injector hole, weekly, leave to soak.
This will free up pistons...

A 60-100 ml syringe may be useful, along with a bunny suit, eye protection, and gloves...

If kerosene is not strong enough, try acetone. Very flammable, will dissolve plastic,extreme caution is needed!!!

Cliff L

Equipment
tractor
Dec 7, 2017
Wisconsin
I once had an old outboard motor that had been sitting for 30 years starting with a full tank. It took high octane gasoline a lot of flushes to do the job. I recommend a lot of the highest octane you can get and be prepared to waste a bunch.

frito1

Equipment
L3200
Dec 9, 2017
Arkansas
Amazingly, the best solvent for bio-varnish, or dino-varnish, is fresh biodiesel.
This a valid point. Bio typically does a super job of cleaning the fuel system. I work for a little hole in the wall place that makes 50 million gallons of bio per year. I'd wager that you're putting the blame on the wrong component. If all of the fuel system isn't bio compatible things have a way of getting dissolved. There have been cases where some fuel tank fill hoses have destroyed tractor fuel systems due to being mislabeled as bio compatible.

Around here all the diesel is a bio blend. My L3200 & F250 drink it like koolaid.