Hows your deer season?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am ready to give up deer hunting! Found what was left of 9 deer, 3 were good bucks. And after doing some digging I found out that a MIDGE carrying EHD has pretty much killed off a large part of the deer herd down this way. Seems once a deer is bitten and infected it last's a short time and dies from internal bleeding.
After 2 days in good deer woods and not seeing a thing, I think I may give it up. The deer that were coming into the feeder are gone, chest nuts are still on the ground, and thats never a good sign.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
One of my nephews got a nice 10 point and a doe. His sister didn't fill again this year. I'm hoping for her to get her first one of these years.I got a midsized 8 on my way to the stand on opening morning.

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
We are seeing lots of does and young bucks, got a few good ones on cameras at night. They will start to show in day light around Christmas when the smell gets in the air. We do not shoot any does, so they are plenty of girls for the boys when they come.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I am ready to give up deer hunting! Found what was left of 9 deer, 3 were good bucks. And after doing some digging I found out that a MIDGE carrying EHD has pretty much killed off a large part of the deer herd down this way. Seems once a deer is bitten and infected it last's a short time and dies from internal bleeding.

After 2 days in good deer woods and not seeing a thing, I think I may give it up. The deer that were coming into the feeder are gone, chest nuts are still on the ground, and thats never a good sign.

I feel your pain Skeets. We went through this here in Indiana in 2013. Mother nature has a weird way of doing things. This year I shot my first Boone and Crockett back here in the state of Indiana on the same farm that I saw no deer movement on 4 years ago. EHD had hit us so hard I wondered if we'd ever see deer again. Last year was a banner year for me as far as doe harvests on both of my farms. This year I was a little less aggressive with doe culling based on my trail camera pics at feeding stations in late summer. So don't quit Skeets!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Plenty of deer down here in South Mississipi but they aren't real big. I shoot the tree line off the front porch and failed a shot this afternoon because I forgot to set my rifle outside.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My understanding is prett slim picking arond here. The one in my back yard hasnt been back, but i expect it will. Theres a pile of soybean here that a few animals are feeding on.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
jryser,,, would you be very up set if I said I hate you very much,, :D
Now that my friend, is a wall hanger for sure! Naww I wont give it up, but I have to admit the hills do get a little steeper every year.
Many years ago when the mines were down, I shot a doe for meat,,,, I felt so bad about it I never shot another one.
My cameras have been out for a week and not one deer,,, though who knows maybe one day I ll see one like yours :rolleyes:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
We have a healthy herd on our lease pics of over 20 different bucks but none over 3 1/2 and plenty of does which we are targeting 10 to 15 to manage herd.

Our goal is to only shoot bucks we intend to mount and that means 130" or better and 2 of us looking 140" bucks as we have low 130" or upper 120" mounted now.

We do practice QDM on our lease which for us is planting food plots, managing age structure of bucks and culling does so we can see the rut happen.

First rut is gone second to start around 12/7.

I enjoy deer hunting and we enjoy the meat it provides for my family. I should end up with 10 in the freezer as my friends give me some on top of what I take which could be 6.

Safe hunting.

Jay

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
Our archery season at our camp in Clarion, PA was a big fat stinker.

Firearms opened last Monday and out of the 4 of us only 1 (my buddy's 12 year old on his first ever hunt) shot a nice 10pt at about 8am.

What a way to start hunting - he never even had a chance to get cold! One shot - deer ran 15 yards and died and he was back at camp on the couch by 11am!

Skeets - I've also talked to a lot of folks near me that said the same thing. One woman I know said they found 11 dead on their property from that darn midge!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's been great :)... Haven't hit one with the truck yet this year! :p
They are as thick as flys on poo up here! :D
We always have a couple on the property, and I think I see at least one a day hit on the side of the road, and that's only on a 15 mile trip to town. ;)

Last edited:

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
jryser,,, would you be very up set if I said I hate you very much,, :D

Now that my friend, is a wall hanger for sure! Naww I wont give it up, but I have to admit the hills do get a little steeper every year.

Many years ago when the mines were down, I shot a doe for meat,,,, I felt so bad about it I never shot another one.

My cameras have been out for a week and not one deer,,, though who knows maybe one day I ll see one like yours :rolleyes:

Nah I don't mind at all! You have helped me a lot on this forum so I can take it!!! It was a lucky, amazing evening. I threw my scrub clothes on after work, no shower, no cameras (I film and write music for a few hunting shows), had two hours' daylight left. The "skill" was - cold front came thru that morning, I knew the basic bedding area and routes for that field, the field had been shelled the evening before, and the winds were perfect. The rest was pure luck and the deer was horny so that gave me the edge!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
We got a lot of snow early this season (knee deep). All the animals had to look for food so everything was moving.

We picked off 6 bucks in the first week. Most productive year we have seen in a few years.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man you guys spend a couple hours processing them guys !!

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
Man you guys spend a couple hours processing them guys !!
Yup, there is a heap of work involved. We process all our own meat.

We have a walk in cooler so we try to age the venison for 14 days. We then de-bone all the meat and then cut the meat in the cuts we want then vacuum pack and freeze. Typically we steak out the best cuts and then everything goes into stew meat and ground meat for burger and sausage.

3 of us working on the project can complete two deer a day from removing from the cooler to meat in the freezer.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Finally got my first deer. First day out this year other than archery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Yeah. She's a nice one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
It's been great :)... Haven't hit one with the truck yet this year! :p
They are as thick as flys on poo up here! :D
We always have a couple on the property, and I think I see at least one a day hit on the side of the road, and that's only on a 15 mile trip to town. ;)
My son was hunting up in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago and got a good size doe. It was a 400yd one-shot kill, 6.5 Creedmoor, factory load 143gr ELD-X. 400' rise in elevation from shooting position. Glass is an SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP mil/mil atop a Ruger American Predator. I have a picture of it but I probably should not post it without his permission. He was hunting with an Army buddy of his that lives around Sand Point, ID.