The Perfect Trailer size ??

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I think I'm in the market for a new trailer for my business. I rarely move my tractor from my property. But I'd like the option to move it if I like.
I just checked the specs on my tractor, 2660 lbs I believe it said. I could not find the weight of the LA524 loader though. I'd guess 700 lbs. So that puts the load on the trailer at 3400 lbs. +- .
I would think I'd need at least a 20' trailer ?? not sure how to figure the trailer weight, I guess just tell the salesman what I'll be hauling weight wize ??? I have a 6' x 10' aluminum that I'm selling and putting the money towards the new one.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
How big is your truck? If you start with tow capacity and work backward you can determine max trailer size. It is easier to load on a big trailer than to squeeze on a small one. I am limited on both tow capacity and storage space so I had to get the smallest trailer that would hold my tractor.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Definitely go with a bit bigger than you need. A 16'-20' bumper pull with Ramps and brakes will do so much more than only tow your Kubota.

Last edited:

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
WFM, I went through the same process this past fall. I wanted a trailer that I could occasionally haul my tractor with even though its primary duties would be mulch, stone and dirt hauling.

Ended up getting a 16 foot heavy angle landscape style with hide away ramps (have removable side boards and tailgate). GVWR of the trailer is 7000 pounds. When loaded with my tractor, hoe and loader, the whole thing tips the scales at 6889 pounds.
Big enough to haul the tractor yet small enough to not need its own barn.

Kubota lists my tractor weight at 2778# and my loader/bucket at 1065#,similar to yours. Many might think I am cutting it too close but I don't go far and I don't go fast with it. Heck, compared to most of what I see going down the roads nowdays, I might be overkill.:eek: It can be balanced for proper tongue weight and pulls like a dream.

Attachments

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have a 2015 F150 with the 385 hp 5L. I think the tow capacity is 'like' 9k lbs.
I have hauled travel trailers over the years with less hp pickups. But when I retire I'll have more truck then trailer for traveling. Anyway.
It looks like I can get away with a 16' - 7000 GVWR, or a trailer with load capacity of 5000 lbs.
Thanks for all the replies.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I have a PJ 18 foot basic utility trailer, weighs about 1900 lbs, is a tandem 5200 lb dexter. it's all they had....it works for most things. if I had it to do over again, I'd have a 20 at a minimum, but I'm already planning on a 24 ft triple axle diamond plate floor with drive over fenders extended slide out ramps, removable sides (just go in stake pockets) 12k winch with battery and solar battery tender and loading lights. maybe in 2 years I'll go that route to pull behind my dually, which I should be buying a new one of in the next year. I never want to be without enough truck or enough trailer ever again. I've towed way way way too heavy on a half ton truck. the power was never the issue, my hemi or my old chevy 6.0 half tons would pull anything, but trailers would push you around, wind, bad road conditions, stupid drivers, winding roads.....and I don't care if I'm pulling my zero turn. I want a dually. plus I plan on getting us a small fifth wheel RV and gooseneck stock trailer. so it fits the bill for all of them.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
this is way more trailer than i needed or you would... but for the money it is really hard to beat.

we got it to move car/trucks.. but now days it moves the tractors & mowers.

its 20' long & 76 between the fenders. comes complete as you see it with 12,500lb winch, hydro lift, 4 wheel disk breaks, 8 ply tires & fancy wheels, hide away spare rack underneath, all LED lights & those are 5200lb axles even though the trailer is listed as 9,999 set up (this is for the plates..), 12,000lb front jack, 12,000lb tie downs all around....

the ONLY thing is this is NOT aluminum. so it weighs 2,050lbs on its own.

out the door price was only $5,600!!! been the best trailer ive ever bought.

Attachments

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I did do some buying and selling today..
Sold a 6' x 10' aluminum trailer today for $1500.
Then went shopping and bought this aluminum- 8'x 18' -7000 GVWR-5400 lb payload, slide in ramps, elec brakes- $4000.
Yes bigger then I need but tows great and will be a business expense. The 16' was sold out and was $200. less. So I took the 18'. Only 4 tie downs in the deck. So for hauling short loads, I'm gonna put them every 3 feet on both sides. 79" between the fenders and the drivers side fender comes off with two pins. So if you drive a car on. You can open your door without hitting the fender.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
That looks great! Should be plenty of room.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Thank You Lencho , its certainly not a show boat like SDK's trailer , but should last me a lifetime.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Thank You Lencho , its certainly not a show boat like SDK's trailer , but should last me a lifetime.
LMAO.... ouch.. you hurt me deep inside. :D:D

thats not a showboater trailer. i promise! we got it to USE!

just turned out to be an awesome trailer at a VERY cheap price. drove 3hrs each way to pick it up.... but it was well worth it to save several K's on it.

(& the important part: it matches my truck)

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Oh God...no insult intended sir....I ment your trailer is the caddy of aluminum trailers. Certainly didn't mean you were showing off.
If I had a hauling business believe me I'd own a trailer like that. As a matter of fact when my L3800 showed up, the dealer had an aluminum slide trailer very similar.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
you will be glad the 16 was sold out. mines a 16 and with the bush hog i have to set the loader up on the front rail (landscape style trailer)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Oh God...no insult intended sir....I ment your trailer is the caddy of aluminum trailers. Certainly didn't mean you were showing off.
If I had a hauling business believe me I'd own a trailer like that. As a matter of fact when my L3800 showed up, the dealer had an aluminum slide trailer very similar.
WFM,

its all good! just playing with ya.

heres the kicker: it LOOKS like an aluminum trailer.... but its NOT. thats all steel!!

PS: lets get this back to YOU & your trailer: as the poster above me mentioned... You will be very glad you got the 18' or even a 20' vs the 16'

16's are great for lots of stuff.. but if you leave anything on the back of the tractor & have a FEL? you need the longer trailer!

YES people do it with the 16's all the time. but the extra room is really great & they are usually a good easy to see in the mirror when you are backwards turning.

it happens all the time that we sell our trailers & go : oh i havent used it in xxx amount of time.. dont need it anymore.

then sure enough, soon as you sell it.. you need it. LOL

enjoy!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
IT'S NOT ALUMINUM....well no wonder I could NOT find aluminum 'D' rings to
weld on !!!! makes sense now.
My trailer is basic, but no tie downs(only 4 actually) . I'm going to add 10 of the recessed rings like the 4 that it has. Five each side every few feet. And I have some 2x2 aluminum angle , I'm going to cut that into 4" sections. And mig weld that vertical every 3' feet. Then I can hook my straps into that.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I can haul my B series in my 12" dump trailer. With the box blade on the back i back it in and raise the fel then shut the tailgate. I have slide in ramps that i drilled an extra set of holes for the retainer pins that lets them stick out about 8" then i put the bucket in the dump position and lower it onto the ramps.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
If it were me I would get a 16' utility trailer. It's such a common size they normally run cheaper and will haul your tractor. I have a 1959 case tractor which weighs like lead and I'm easily able to haul it on my trailer. Then only wish I had is since the way people drive today I also had electric brakes on it. Very often someone with a little car will pass me and immediately slam on their brakes to make a turn.

Bayoudude

May 24, 2017
Houma LA
I am picking up my L4701 package some time next week. I bought a 24' trailer with 7k lb axles and vertical equipment ramps. 82" between the rails. Still going to be a tight fit with a 1872 land pride cutter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
You should be ok with a 24' trailer. I have the same tractor and cutter with a 20' trailer and if I remember correct I have 4' of cutter hanging off the back of the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I bought a trailer to move my tractors (all compact size) but I wanted a covered trailer that could be used for moving household items as I have kids in college and married and starting careers so I knew I would be called upon to help with all moving needs. I also wanted to be able to use the trailer for moving camping gear for church camp activities etc.

I also wanted to be able to use the trailer for remote hunting camp where I might carry a utv and in bad weather could actually stay in the trailer for shelter if needed.

So I had to design the trailer to meet all those needs. Started with 5k axles and 6" tube frame with a triple tongue for stout and stiff frame. All tube members (floor, walls and ceiling) are in 16" o.c.

Had the ramp designed to handle 4500 pounds and used pressure treated wood on the floor and ramp and then insulated the unit. Had multiple tie downs installed both on the floor and walls.

The size is 7'x18' with an 86 inch ramp opening height which allows my cabbed tractor in. I can load tractor with FEL and some implements on the back. (i.e. tiller, BH, box blade).

I am pleased in how well it pulls. Does well in the wind also.

Attachments