Jacking up a l3800 one side

Mountain William

Equipment
L3800
Apr 20, 2013
Virginia
I think I've allowed one of my rear tires to lose a lot of air. It ain't flat, cause it is a filled tire, but when I tried to check the tire pressure with the valve in the "12 o'clock position", I got mostly liquid. I don't think my gauge is gonna pull through. Dang, I liked that gauge. I've read that if you jack that tire off the ground, you may be able to check the pressure and add air. Well my two part question is this. (1) What is the best jacking point for the right rear tire on a L3800. And (2) Is it ok to jack it up with the fel and boxblade still attached. I'm glad they don't shoot dumb people around here!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If your getting fluid out just pump it up until you don't hear bubbles from the air going in,, THEN check the pressure,, they make a gauge that wont self destruct if you get water in it but they are expensive,,,, just pump it up and then add or release air till you get to where you want it to be

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think I've allowed one of my rear tires to lose a lot of air. It ain't flat, cause it is a filled tire, but when I tried to check the tire pressure with the valve in the "12 o'clock position", I got mostly liquid. I don't think my gauge is gonna pull through. Dang, I liked that gauge. I've read that if you jack that tire off the ground, you may be able to check the pressure and add air. Well my two part question is this. (1) What is the best jacking point for the right rear tire on a L3800. And (2) Is it ok to jack it up with the fel and boxblade still attached. I'm glad they don't shoot dumb people around here!

Mountain,

Skeets is right as rain with the answer......

hell - add too much air (within reason) and then check - bleed down, check......and like you said - do it at 12 oclock......

you really should not be about 70-80% full anyway, you still need a cushion!
Water (whatever) should be at top of rim, think about that......you can see where it is on the outside on a cool day, by the condensation on the tire.;)

Mountain William

Equipment
L3800
Apr 20, 2013
Virginia
Thanks for your tips, guys. I guess I was kinda worried about the little compressor I use for tires. It's one of those light duty ac/dc Black and Decker jobs used for car tires, basketballs, bicycles, etc. And of course it has an inline gauge. I just thought jacking that tire off the ground and getting the weight off it would keep me from messing up the compressor's gauge like I did the other gauge. That's why I was asking about the jacking. I'm not sure if that little compressor has got enough oomph to push air past the water. Maybe I should figure out a better choice for the compressor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Not a worry if your want X pressure it doesn't matter what they size of the object. So you are just putting X pounds of pressure in to a small area rather into the whole tire is all:D

Mountain William

Equipment
L3800
Apr 20, 2013
Virginia
Well, with the valve at 12 o'clock, when I depress that valve pin, I get liquid. Are you all saying that I can fasten the compressor hose on the valve and pump air into the tire without worrying that the liquid will foul the air pressure gauge on the compressor? Remember, this is just a little ac/dc compressor. That's why I thought maybe jacking the tire off the ground would lessen the pressure of the liquid coming out. Hence the original jacking questions. Also, I know that 30 psi is 30 psi no matter what size the area it's put in to, but I was thinking that all compressors are not created equal. Won't more powerful compressors push the air into the tire with more force to attain that 30 psi? That's why I've always used hand pumps on little bitty tires. I might put in that 30 psi, but with less force.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well, with the valve at 12 o'clock, when I depress that valve pin, I get liquid. Are you all saying that I can fasten the compressor hose on the valve and pump air into the tire without worrying that the liquid will foul the air pressure gauge on the compressor? Remember, this is just a little ac/dc compressor. That's why I thought maybe jacking the tire off the ground would lessen the pressure of the liquid coming out. Hence the original jacking questions. Also, I know that 30 psi is 30 psi no matter what size the area it's put in to, but I was thinking that all compressors are not created equal. Won't more powerful compressors push the air into the tire with more force to attain that 30 psi? That's why I've always used hand pumps on little bitty tires. I might put in that 30 psi, but with less force.
If the tire is flat now...or very low, then maybe all the air has seeped out.
Go ahead and lift that side up - now the flat side should fill be up and the top side should flatten out due to gravity - and the vacuum inside the tire, now you will not have the same type of situation. THE fluid is being compressed inside the tire now, even though fluid CANNOT be compressed , it is pushing it out of the valve stem, by lifting the tire off the ground and allowing it to sit there a bit, the tire should reform - flat spot on the bottom now full of liquid and the top will / should flatten out. IF you place a small screwdriver on the 12 o'clocked valve stem, the water may come out but not spew out. It might even suck air in!

now place your little compressor there, even if you get 15 psi - the air will force itself in the valve stem and the top of the tire - turn your compressor on first then hit the valve stem - air will displace the fluid and not run back into your gauge. Give it A shot - be care getting that side off the ground.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I wouldnt bother with jacking. Keep in mind a little compressor will take a little while to air up. As mentioned, with compressor on, connect to tire. And leave it running to disconnect, this lessens the risk of damaging your guage.
Guess a calcium compatable guage is in order.
I would get one to keep on tractor just for this reason.

Hai

Equipment
Kubota L3400 HST
Mar 2, 2014
Virginia
I used a 3-gallon Craftsman air compressor with 150 psi setting and it took a long time to pump the rear tire of my L3400 from 25 to 30 psi. I just wonder if your AC/DC compressor is powerful and robust enough to put large volume of air into that flat tire.

Mountain William

Equipment
L3800
Apr 20, 2013
Virginia
I used a 3-gallon Craftsman air compressor with 150 psi setting and it took a long time to pump the rear tire of my L3400 from 25 to 30 psi. I just wonder if your AC/DC compressor is powerful and robust enough to put large volume of air into that flat tire.
That's a good point, Hai. I haven't tried it yet. I kind of had my doubts, too.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Can't you check pressure with a fuel pressure gauge? Mine has a vent hose and a schrader valve connection. Made for checking fuel rails.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Oh and you can use just about any compressor you have. As long as it can reach that pressure. I recently filled my riding mower with a bicycle pump. Took much longer than I expected.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wife has one of those portable compressors that power off a cigarette lighter. Have an attachment with alligator clips for it and have used it to get the tractor tires before. Took about 1/2 an hour per tire.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I carry one of those in the hard bags in the HD,, it is amazing how many Honda tires it has pumped up