Air filter bottom latch B7100

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
I have two complete air filter assemblies from different generations of the B7100 and both have an issue with the bottom spring wire latch not latching properly. The top one on both seem fine, lock in with plenty of tension but the bottom seems like it isn't catching properly and hits the cover before it should.

Is this common or am I missing something?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have two complete air filter assemblies from different generations of the B7100 and both have an issue with the bottom spring wire latch not latching properly. The top one on both seem fine, lock in with plenty of tension but the bottom seems like it isn't catching properly and hits the cover before it should.

Is this common or am I missing something?
Might be slightly bent. Had that issue on one of my M's. Took the latch apart and put it in a vise and added some curve to it. Problem solved. You need to take the latch apart to do that. I presume you have the wire latches like I do. You want the cover to be tight against the air cleaner body and hold the filters in alignment.

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Thanks for the reply...Found this picture on the net. It shows both clamps being long enough for the bend to go over the cap when latched. On the bottom latches of what I have neither one is long enough, the bend hits the cover and will not go over the cap.

Do I by some miracle have two canisters with the wrong latch on the bottom.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Weird. Maybe a pic of the latch that doesn't fit?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the reply...Found this picture on the net. It shows both clamps being long enough for the bend to go over the cap when latched. On the bottom latches of what I have neither one is long enough, the bend hits the cover and will not go over the cap.

Do I by some miracle have two canisters with the wrong latch on the bottom.
It's not the wrong latch, it's bent / stretched, you need to unbend / rebend it, look at the curve of the working one to see how to bend it.

Last edited:

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
This is what I am dealing with. Weird that both bottom latches have the same problem, what are the odds... Think I see now where the loop that holds the latch is opened up further than the latch that works.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You are making it way more complex than it really is. Take the latch apart and put some more bend in the end. If it's correct, it will 'cam over' when secured.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You are making it way more complex than it really is. Take the latch apart and put some more bend in the end. If it's correct, it will 'cam over' when secured.
You typing just to type?
That that's not the problem, the OP again has a handle on how to fix it properly. ;)