BXpanded BH77 Backhoe Quick Attach Video Review

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
After initially receiving a defective unit, I finally got my new BXpanded Kubota BH77 backhoe quick attach adapter installed tonight. As a repeat customer of BXpanded, I had very high expectations for the quick attach bucket adapter. Unfortunately, I feel a bit disappointed because the build tolerances could be much tighter and there are a few annoyances that should have been easily avoidable. I would give this item a three out of five stars review.

Please check out the review video that I created: https://youtu.be/mE_bDhIWTvg

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Nice review. To the point. Bummer things don’t line up well... some things can be blamed on the factory thumb. But the handle direction on that pin is clearly an QC issue.

Edit: can you turn the pin 180 degrees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Thanks for the review! The handle issue and the tolerances are something that should be bought to bxpanded attention.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Thanks for the review! I think I will struggle with the pins! The only thing I have bought from BXpanded is their toothbar. Although I am very happy with their toothbar, I was not pleased with their long lead time or their lack of response to emails. I enjoyed your video, it was objective and to the point.

Jack

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Nice video, thanks for sharing. I've not run into any of those problems yet. First, I don't have a factory thumb. Second, I purchased the quick attach along with their tooth bar. I mounted them both up to use, and have not yet changed back to the bucket. The tooth bar by the way is VERY stout and fitment to the quick attach is precise. I'm curious to see if I have your same problem with the pin orientation when I go back to the bucket.

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
UPDATE: I am very pleased to report that I exchanged several phone calls with BXpanded today and that they were about as helpful as any company could possibly be when something goes wrong. They repeatedly apologized and assured me that they would take care of everything asap.

During on our conversation, they shared a few thoughts on how this situation happened; First, my tractor is very new and that I may have a slightly updated variation of the BH77 thumb. Second, the pin hole on my buckets is in a new position that they have not encountered before. Third, Kubota equipment is hand assembled and hand welded so the tolerances are a bit less precise than say the automotive industry. Fourth, all of their items are hand assembled and hand welded and while they do try to keep the specs tight, things do slip by on occasion.

After hearing the above points, they were happy when I offered to send them any pictures and measurements of my tractor, buckets, backhoe, pins, etc that would help them revise the design.

For starters, they will weld up a new front pin that fits my buckets exactly like the one in their instruction manual. This will require the handle to be clocked approx. 120 degrees counter clockwise so that it matches up exactly to the linchpin hole. I encouraged them to offer this as an option on their website for those who have newer buckets.

Here's an example of how it should look:

Here's how my pin looks today:

They are also going to update the design slightly based on the measurements that I gave them and the angles they were able to harvest from the pictures I sent them. This will involve shifting the bucket slightly towards the back of the tractor. If you look carefully at this picture, the yellow circles show the contact between the quick attach adapter and the thumb:

Its critical that this attachment point stay close to the factory position as any extension of the bucket will lower the working force of the hoe due to a loss in mechanical advantage.

This is my fourth or fifth purchase from BXpanded and the very first time that I have ever had an issue. I cant speak for their lead times or communication practices prior to the sale but their communication with me on this issue has been very good so far.

Last edited:

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
This is good to hear. I actually found your video before you posted here. I just signed up with the forum today. I was a little disappointed when I saw your video because I just bought a new tractor with the factory thumb and I was really wanting to go with the BXpanded system down the road. It sounds like they are gonna straighten it out and hopefully make it fit better.

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
This is good to hear. I actually found your video before you posted here. I just signed up with the forum today. I was a little disappointed when I saw your video because I just bought a new tractor with the factory thumb and I was really wanting to go with the BXpanded system down the road. It sounds like they are gonna straighten it out and hopefully make it fit better.
I sure hope so. I will post an update as soon as I hear something.

mcicero

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, BH77, Land Pride SGC0660
Aug 30, 2019
York, ME
UPDATE: I am very pleased to report that I exchanged several phone calls with BXpanded today and that they were about as helpful as any company could possibly be when something goes wrong. They repeatedly apologized and assured me that they would take care of everything asap.

During on our conversation, they shared a few thoughts on how this situation happened; First, my tractor is very new and that I may have a slightly updated variation of the BH77 thumb. Second, the pin hole on my buckets is in a new position that they have not encountered before. Third, Kubota equipment is hand assembled and hand welded so the tolerances are a bit less precise than say the automotive industry. Fourth, all of their items are hand assembled and hand welded and while they do try to keep the specs tight, things do slip by on occasion.

After hearing the above points, they were happy when I offered to send them any pictures and measurements of my tractor, buckets, backhoe, pins, etc that would help them revise the design.

For starters, they will weld up a new front pin that fits my buckets exactly like the one in their instruction manual. This will require the handle to be clocked approx. 120 degrees counter clockwise so that it matches up exactly to the linchpin hole. I encouraged them to offer this as an option on their website for those who have newer buckets.

Here's an example of how it should look:

Here's how my pin looks today:

They are also going to update the design slightly based on the measurements that I gave them and the angles they were able to harvest from the pictures I sent them. This will involve shifting the bucket slightly towards the back of the tractor. If you look carefully at this picture, the yellow circles show the contact between the quick attach adapter and the thumb:

Its critical that this attachment point stay close to the factory position as any extension of the bucket will lower the working force of the hoe due to a loss in mechanical advantage.

This is my fourth or fifth purchase from BXpanded and the very first time that I have ever had an issue. I cant speak for their lead times or communication practices prior to the sale but their communication with me on this issue has been very good so far.

I have a newer B2650/BH77 bought in January. When did you purchase yours? I was about to pull the trigger on this when I saw your post. Wondering if I should wait until some modifications have been made. Thanks.

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
I noticed this thread is a bit dated and wanted to revive it. I believe there has been much learned since Aug 2019 about this BH77 bracket.

I discussed the bracket with Bxpanded and they tell me it is full speed forward with what they have. They did not say there was any redesign upcoming which is what I wanted to hear because of the breaking failures. And notice that is plural. I wish Bxpanded would admit improvements are possible but all I hear is they will replace failed units. That is great but I don't want to expect failure and there is high probability that will happen based on what I know now.

Comments please. Maybe someone can put my concerns at rest. But I know you will tell it like it is.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm a bit confused. Have you personally had failures with it, or are referring to others? I did see one video on Youtube which showed the quick attach bracket broken on one person's backhoe and BXpanded replaced it. I have recently ordered the quick attach bracket, ripper and a 6 inch trencher bucket. I have not put it on yet.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
When I switched back to my bucket, I did not have any issues with the pin, it lines up like it should. Mine was new in late 2017 so the hole position sounds like it has changed since then. I do have the 2 contact points you circled in yellow, but only barely. It touches at full curl but has not chipped the paint. If it does I'll file off a bit and touch up the paint.
I'm glad they've worked with you to fix your problems and update their products. I've switched from bucket to ripper a dozen times now and it sure saves my time and my lower back ;)

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
I'm a bit confused. Have you personally had failures with it, or are referring to others? I did see one video on Youtube which showed the quick attach bracket broken on one person's backhoe and BXpanded replaced it. I have recently ordered the quick attach bracket, ripper and a 6 inch trencher bucket. I have not put it on yet.
Nicfin
I sincerely hope you have good results with all the equipment you ordered. Sorry for my confusing message. Yes, I did refer to the bracket that was documented on a YT video. That is where my concern started so I called Bxpanded asking for clarification. I was told yes the bracket can break if you dig in rocky soil or hit a stump root. And was also told about the replacement policy standing behind the product.
In my case, I frequently am digging up stumps. I wanted to hear that Bxpanded was going to redesign the bracket to possibly eliminate the breakage concern but I did not. So my choice is to accept it might break and just replace it when it does or not order at all. So far I have not ordered it. I did learn recently these similar brackets are common for excavators and was hoping to find another source than Bxpanded. No luck in that search.

I posted on here for comments from users with opinions. Maybe I will buy one if I can get feedback that my concerns are invalid. Let me ask, why did you go ahead and buy when you knew of the YT video?

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Let me ask, why did you go ahead and buy when you knew of the YT video?

That was the only video I have seen of one breaking. I am sure others have had them break, but I have not found any others claiming theirs has broken. I have not read anywhere on this forum of breakages.

Like you said, they are the only company that has the quick attack system for my backhoe and I want one for what I intend to do with my backhoe.

So, why did I buy it? First, I must say that I think I watched the video after I ordered everything. I can't say with 100% certainty that was the case, but I would have ordered it anyway.

Being that I could only find one instance of it breaking, I am not too worried, especially since I am confident BXpanded will replace the part. I really do think there was probably a flaw in the part that broke.