Wanting a FEL

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Good afternoon, I am suddenly really wanting a FEL for tasks to be accomplished around the house. I have a 7100HST, my cousin has a 7200HST with FEL. I would love a 7800HST with FEL, almost enough to trade mine in. Would like the ability to have bucket and / or forks. Is it worth adding an aftermarket loader, or should I look at a BX2660/70/80? What can I realistically expect if I add a FEL to the 7100?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good afternoon, I am suddenly really wanting a FEL for tasks to be accomplished around the house. I have a 7100HST, my cousin has a 7200HST with FEL. I would love a 7800HST with FEL, almost enough to trade mine in. Would like the ability to have bucket and / or forks. Is it worth adding an aftermarket loader, or should I look at a BX2660/70/80? What can I realistically expect if I add a FEL to the 7100?

A new FEL for B7100HST runs about 5K , used about 2.5K.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
A FEL is a force multiplier. That is to say, you can do a lot more with a tractor that has a FEL than with a tractor that doesn't have one. I use mine all the time, wouldn't want to be without one.

That said, a FEL does not turn a compact tractor into a full size excavator or fork lift. Figure on about 500lbs capacity and around 5-6' of lift. The bucket will hold a large wheelbarrow's worth of dirt. Forks can carry a half-pallet load -- maybe less.

Good luck finding a used FEL for that tractor though. Even a new one will require custom sub-frame work to make it fit. Most people's advice was "buy a tractor with a FEL and sell your existing one". I ended up building my own.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Mother of pearl!! That is some big $$$ to lift ~500 lbs. Looks like i will keep my eye out for a bigger tractor, as I do not have the fab skills to make my own. Thanks, fellas.

Looks like the BX can only lift around 800 lbs, so that is not that much better.

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Might be a good time to re-assess your tractors needs.

In the spirit of the joy in spending other's money, trade that 7100 on something big & brand new with a FEL! :D

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Might be a good time to re-assess your tractors needs.

In the spirit of the joy in spending other's money, trade that 7100 on something big & brand new with a FEL! :D
I got into the 7100 right, and am working the kinks out from previous owner. I enjoy this 7100, and will probably keep her home with me. If / when I stumble across the right deal, I will add a stablemate. Need to sell the Case garden tractors (3 of them) to make room in the garage!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I enjoy this 7100, and will probably keep her home with me.
Don't get me wrong -- I have a B7100 and I love it! I use the FEL all the time. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the limitations.

I could adjust my hydraulic pressure so it would lift 1,000 lbs or more. But that does not include the additional weight of the FEL itself and together that's a heck of a load to impose on the front axle of a tractor that only weighs 1,200 or 1,300lbs to begin with! 500lbs was the capacity of Kubota's "official" FEL for the B7100 so it is my belief that is what it is designed to handle and any more is asking for trouble.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Thanks Torch, I understand. I can't justify $3-5k to lift 500 lbs. I would put that towards something 25 - 35 hp that can lift double to triple that. Was hoping for more from the 7100 than she is capable of, will use her for more size appropriate applications. No sense breaking it when it is coming back to normal working conditions.

keithcoady

Equipment
Kubota B7800 60 inch mmm, 60 inch normand blower, and 60 inch blade
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Bill, I have a 2006 B7800 HST, purchased about 3 years ago with only 412 hrs on it. It's in excellent condition but came with a plow and sub frame for snow removal as well as a 5 foot snowblower on rear pto.

First thing I did in the spring of the next year was sell the plow and sub frame and purchase a FEL - best decision ever! I love it and have done a lot of landscaping and moving snow with it in the winter.

The FEL has been invaluable and to me it's the most useful accessory I've added to the tractor.

The B7800 is just the right size for me as well, not too big, but more than enough power to get what I need done.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Bill, I have a 2006 B7800 HST, purchased about 3 years ago with only 412 hrs on it. It's in excellent condition but came with a plow and sub frame for snow removal as well as a 5 foot snowblower on rear pto.

First thing I did in the spring of the next year was sell the plow and sub frame and purchase a FEL - best decision ever! I love it and have done a lot of landscaping and moving snow with it in the winter.

The FEL has been invaluable and to me it's the most useful accessory I've added to the tractor.

The B7800 is just the right size for me as well, not too big, but more than enough power to get what I need done.
Keith, interestingly enough, I stumbled across a B7800 that I am enamored with. Not sure I can justify it at the moment, but the truck is paid off next summer, maybe then I make the jump up. You are pleased with yours, it sounds like?

I really like the 7100, but want some grunt for FEL work. I believe you can fit a grapple to that model, correct? Does yours have a third function, or can it be fitted with one?

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Shootem, not having a lcv or hoses adds significantly to the cost, which I feel would be better utilized upping the size of the tractor and capacity. I am into this tractor for a good price, some replacement parts to make her run better, and some general maintenance and I should do a bit better than breaking even.

keithcoady

Equipment
Kubota B7800 60 inch mmm, 60 inch normand blower, and 60 inch blade
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Bill I was told I could add a third function for a grapple but not without undue cost - in the thousands!

If you happen to find out differently please let me know :)

And yes I love my B7800 it's a great tractor and I've never had a problem moving heavy wet snow with the loader or the rear snowblower

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Keith, thank you for following up. I am keeping my eyes peeled for another good deal like the 7100, in no hurry. The whole want vs need thing at play here. I will be relocating to Nebraska in the next couple of years, hoping to get a small plot of land to play on (5-15 acres) and will need more than the 7100. Definitely going to need a FEL as I age with my back the way it is.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I bought my first tractor about 2 year ago. The FEL is an extra hand around the property, a snow shovel you don't have to lift, a wheelbarrow you don't have to load and dump. It's the thing that lets you move that rock, haul some topsoil or spread some mulch without breaking your back. When you get one you will wonder how you lived without it.
Whether or not you need to upgrade your tractor is dependent on your needs.
I won't tell you how to spend your money, but if your existing machine is big enough then adding a FEL sounds like the right thing to do. Even if it's only 500#...how many trips, shovelfuls, or loads would that take with your wheelbarrow?
I am sure you will get one....how you get there is up to you and your wallet.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
If I come across a good buy, I will add one to the 7100. I will not spend crazily, as I feel it would be better utilized by going bigger. I appreciate the input, thank you all!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX really only lifts 500 lbs as well. And I wouldn't be without it - by hand I can lift 70 lbs on a good day (about half a foot off the ground), and if I have to lift it with a shovel I can lift about 10 lbs per shovel load....50 shovels to the bucket or something like that. Don't underestimate how much 500 lbs is. I dug out the hillside for my tractor shed with a mini ex and the BX, and it's quite amazing how much dirt you can move in a day.

Of course, a bigger machine is also an excellent idea. But if you found a deal for a loader for your 7100, don't go past it.