Did I Just Break My Tractor??

malenurse13

Equipment
Kubota L3301 with Front Loader and Rotary Cutter
Jun 7, 2019
Vivian, LA
I'm still new to tractors. TODAY... I hit a big mound of dirt with the brush hog that brought the blades to a screeching halt and the tractor shut down completely. I put everything in neutral, started the tractor back up, and raised the brush hog to get outta there. I saw a big dirt circle with a few tree limbs in it. I have a slipper clutch on the brush hog and I'm sure that helps. Everything seems to be working fine. But if I hit something so hard that stops the PTO completely and kills the engine... what am I doing to my tractor?? And is there anything I need to inspect after bogging down in dirt? Anything that might be broken/warped/loose??

Last edited:

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
That is certainly something you should avoid, but you probably did not do any real harm. It just took more power than the engine could deliver.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Sounds like your slip clutch needs adjusting or service. It is not an install and forget it item!

It should be lessening the shock load on your tractor to avoid stalling the engine.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds like your slip clutch needs adjusting or service. It is not an install and forget it item!

It should be lessening the shock load on your tractor to avoid stalling the engine.

Dave
Exactly and the need to be set every year. The clutch plates rust up making it inoperative.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
You probably didn’t hurt anything but your slip clutch is not adjusted correctly. If you hit a big stump of rock, the weakest part is going to fail. That could be something inside the tractor transmission or the Bush Hog driveline or gear box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've stalled my tractor before, tilling. Like said above, my slipper clutch needed to be adjusted. But, it didn't hurt my tractor. Everything was fine- the load was too much to power through.
Saying that, I believe that even if the the clutch were adjusted correctly, the engine may still be stalled. The slippage in the clutch would soften the shock to the drivetrain, but it wouldn't slip enough to allow the engine to keep turning the tractor side of the driveshaft. If the clutch is adjusted that soft, then it could also slip under heavy load, burning it up. So, unless I am making some wrong assumptions, the goal isn't to keep the engine turning, but to keep the full shock from translating to the PTO/driveline.

malenurse13

Equipment
Jun 7, 2019
Vivian, LA
So, while we're on the topic... Is there anything I can do with my bucket to level out these high areas in the yard? Can a 33hp tractor plow through dirt with tall grass roots? (I know it's not a dozer) Or can I assume if the brush hog blades are gonna choke... the bucket on my tractor will too??

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
So, while we're on the topic... Is there anything I can do with my bucket to level out these high areas in the yard? Can a 33hp tractor plow through dirt with tall grass roots? (I know it's not a dozer) Or can I assume if the brush hog blades are gonna choke... the bucket on my tractor will too??
Do you have a box blade or something for the 3 point to smooth out the area? I use a box blade on everything such as my driveway, garden, landscaping, Etc.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So with this tractor being only a week old... Should I ask the dealer to soften the clutch up for me? Do you think they would? If not, how easy is it to soften it up myself?
Read the owners manual on the mower and it will tell you how to adjust the slipper clutch, no you don't need the dealer to do it. ;)

Digging in and leveling ground with a loader is hard to do, especially if you don't have a tooth bar.
A box blade or a land plane do a much better job leveling.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Another thing to do is get rear remote hydraulics with a float detent valve on at lease one. I have the QH15 with the optional floating top link. That allows the cutter to adjust to uneven ground where the contours are perpendicular to your direction of travel. I use the float detent valve on my Tilt cylinder which allows the cutter to go up and down with contours parallel to direction of travel. Before I installed these I managed to kill my tractor a couple of times just by digging the blades into turf where the ground was uneven. I go right over those same areas with no problem now. I did learn in this thread than I need to know how to adjust the clutch on my RCR1860. Section 5 page 24 of my owners manual.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
When I mow into the unknown I leave the loader as low to the ground as possible, that way I can “feel” for stuff like dirt mounds and stumps.

malenurse13

Equipment
Jun 7, 2019
Vivian, LA
When I mow into the unknown I leave the loader as low to the ground as possible, that way I can “feel” for stuff like dirt mounds and stumps.
I did that today. I ALSO lowered the tail wheel on my brush hog. That raised the deck up an inch or two and had no problems finishing my 3 acre back yard! :)

Attachments

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Another thing to do is get rear remote hydraulics with a float detent valve on at lease one. I have the QH15 with the optional floating top link. That allows the cutter to adjust to uneven ground where the contours are perpendicular to your direction of travel. I use the float detent valve on my Tilt cylinder which allows the cutter to go up and down with contours parallel to direction of travel. Before I installed these I managed to kill my tractor a couple of times just by digging the blades into turf where the ground was uneven. I go right over those same areas with no problem now. I did learn in this thread than I need to know how to adjust the clutch on my RCR1860. Section 5 page 24 of my owners manual.
I also have the QH15 with the floating top link. My dad and the dealer both recommended it since I'm new to using the tractor. Said it would save me some headache.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I don't think many of you have as rough a terrain as I mow, both at my place and neighbors properties. This plus "re-sizing" rocks can take a toll on my old 5' Brush Hog Squealer that I've had for about 12 years.
As the picture show, I have a hydraulic top link with check valves, but what keeps me from tearing up tail whees etc. is the chain that runs from the rear of the deck to a point just below the top link hole. This plus the check chains allow for more flexibility and at the same time only allow the deck to drop so low. It uses sheer bolts, and I use bolts 1/16" smaller than what I could use. Break on every once in a while, but better than tearing something up.
I mow the same type of acreage for one neighbor using his large John Deere with a 6' John Deere shredder. I've broke the tailwheel off 3 times already. His setup is what you usually see on a shredder and is more rigid than what mine is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
It's not a big deal for a tractor to stall out..especially since yours is a manual transmission and you likely didn't have time to clutch and take strain off the engine from trying to move the tractor forward while the brush hog was bogging.

I put a brand new brush hog behind my MX4800 and broke a shear pin on a dirt mound almost instantly. Didn't stall the engine because of HST and a shear pin instead of a slip clutch. Personally, I prefer the shear pin design, I just keep a few of them in with wrenches in the brush hog's tool caddy.