BX24 loss of RPM at random times.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
My BX24 has been suffering from the loss of RPM problem for a while now. Not very often, once every half hour of use. So I let the tractor run almost out of fuel and decided to check fuel flow. I disconnected the fuel line from the first filter and got absolutely no fuel flow out of the hose. I blew a little air into the line back to the fuel tank and got a gush of fuel until the tank emptied. I "rinsed" the tank out by dumping small amounts of fuel into the tank while the fuel line was disconnected into a pan and repeated five or six times. I wanted to look into the tank but couldn't find my inspection mirror. Reconnected everything and filled the tank. Used the tractor for several hours today with no problems. Time will tell if I have solved my problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My BX24 has been suffering from the loss of RPM problem for a while now. Not very often, once every half hour of use. So I let the tractor run almost out of fuel and decided to check fuel flow. I disconnected the fuel line from the first filter and got absolutely no fuel flow out of the hose. I blew a little air into the line back to the fuel tank and got a gush of fuel until the tank emptied. I "rinsed" the tank out by dumping small amounts of fuel into the tank while the fuel line was disconnected into a pan and repeated five or six times. I wanted to look into the tank but couldn't find my inspection mirror. Reconnected everything and filled the tank. Used the tractor for several hours today with no problems. Time will tell if I have solved my problem.
I'll almost bet the problem will return, they had a problem with the fuel sending units rusting and getting in the tank outlet.

If it does it again you might want to pull the tank and the sending unit. ;)

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
NIWM> do the Kubota tanks have a filter screen on the outlet pipe.??
& is it removable.?
Because if the poster blew-back the filter to clear it & rinsed it & allowed the rinse to come out the outlet hose{filter}, he almost surely didn't accomplish anything but move the clog around.
Now if it has a hex head on the outlet pipe, he could unscrew it, clean the filter & THEN rinse the tank..

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
THIS is a classic case of not having the proper manuals.. he could have looked at the parts breakdown to see if it has a removable filter screen.
I'm sure there are parts breakdowns on-line..??

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
NIWM> do the Kubota tanks have a filter screen on the outlet pipe.?? No, they do not
& is it removable.?

Because if the poster blew-back the filter to clear it & rinsed it & allowed the rinse to come out the outlet hose{filter}, he almost surely didn't accomplish anything but move the clog around. That is correct, the tank needs to be removed to clean.

Now if it has a hex head on the outlet pipe, he could unscrew it, clean the filter & THEN rinse the tank..
It doesn't have one.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
I'll almost bet the problem will return, they had a problem with the fuel sending units rusting and getting in the tank outlet.

If it does it again you might want to pull the tank and the sending unit. ;)
I was hoping that the blockage would be broken up and rinsed out but I didn't see anything come out. This was so simple to do compared to removing the tank that I will try this a couple more times before I resort to removing the tank.

BlackbirdBX

Equipment
BX24
Jun 10, 2019
Townsend, DE, USA
It's possible that your problems may not be as random as you believe. I discovered the BX24 will actually seem to run just fine without a working fuel pump on gravity feed alone. That is until you are going up an incline, then gravity is no longer your friend.

Tall grass wrapped around the PTO shaft and cut insulation on the wires to the the fuel pump and eventually fuel return on mine and caused seemingly random losses of power. I found the wire problem on investigating the fuel leak. Fixed everything and wrapped it all in cable wrap.

The fuel pump makes a ticking noise which is easy to hear if you turn the ignition switch to the ACC position.

Just an odd possibility.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
Update. I have gone through a whole tank of fuel without it losing power/RPM's. I 'm hopefully optimistic that the problem is solved. Even if it returns, blowing some air into the fuel line to clear a blockage sure is easier than pulling the fuel tank.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
Another update with an idea. Another few days of using my tractor and still no problems. I was trying to figure out what to do it the problem continued short of pulling the fuel tank. I thought about putting a tee fitting in the fuel before the first filter and run it up beside the seat somewhere. Put some kind of removable plug in it. Then whenever it gave me problems a quick k blow of air into that hose would blow out the plug in the line. Hopefully over time the problem material would break up and get caught in the filter. It seems it would sure be easier than pulling the tank.