How bad did I mess up

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
This is the B7100 HST I just bought along with the spare motor. Have $2500.00 in it so far. Also have the MM 60 inch deck, removed for transportation. The existing motor has allot of blow by, is hard to start and uses oil. The 2nd motor is suppose to be in good condition, PO said he heard and saw it running before he bought it. Just had to take his word and hope for the best.

I have removed the tin getting ready to swap out the motors. I will need to put a few hundred more in it for gaskets, misc parts and new tires. It does run well enough to know the transmission is working well along with the lift. The mower deck will need some work but it is functional.

I can take it, tell me the good the bad and the ugly of my deal?

Attachments

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
I bought mine for $2k with no implements, and feel I did well. These are hella good tractors, from my limited knowledge. I am tearing into mine replacing what needs replacing, and my sheet metal is not as nice as yours. I think you did well, for what you have in it.

Swapping engines gives you the chance to really get to know the machine, as well as address what needs attention. Actually looks like a good project, and you will have quite a horse when done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RacerX

Equipment
Kubota M-1068 Backhoe
Jul 25, 2018
Houston, Tx
Why don't you fire up the 2nd engine out of the chassis and check it before going thru the trouble to install it? Might save yourself some time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Doing as RacerX suggested will let you know what you're installing before it's in place. Only then will you really know how good the deal is!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Was my first Kubota way back when. Bought it new. Probably should have kept it for mowing the lawn but didn't. I'd say the radiator needs to be boiled out and I third the motion to start and run the spare engine before installing it. Might be a POS. I never take anyone's word on stuff like that.

Nice winter project I'd say.

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Would almost be as much work making a stand, fuel battery etc as it's going to be to put it in the tractor. I have faith in what I was told, if it ends up being a dog I'll part it out.

I'm about 4 bolts and jacks from having the tractor split, after that should be fairly easy.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bob, be sure to put some wood 1x4 or something similar on each side of the tractor frame above the axle on both sides. This will keep the engine from flopping to one side or the other when unbolted. Be safe!!

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Thanks for the tip, this winter I put a clutch in my Ford 3600, compared to that this little Kubota will be easy. Being an old man I wok pretty slow but careful.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Would almost be as much work making a stand, fuel battery etc as it's going to be to put it in the tractor. I have faith in what I was told, if it ends up being a dog I'll part it out.

I'm about 4 bolts and jacks from having the tractor split, after that should be fairly easy.
At minimum I would bock it up on the dolly and strap it down and do a wet Compression test. I know id sleep better knowing its good to swap out. Just saying.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Before installing the engine remove the oil pan and tale a look.
you can also do a compression test with it out instead of running it.

Ray

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Little update on my progress. Original motor is out and have all the accessories off it. Started messing with the replacement motor, the closer I look the better I feel about it. It is too clean on the inside to have very many hours, either that or it was well maintained.

Will have to use the radiator from the original, front grill mounts are different. The old radiator is in better condition but such as life. Found a local radiator shop and will see what they will charge to go through it. Someone must have had trouble getting a hose off the top fitting. The neck is twisted and not sure how one could do that other than a big pair of channel locks.

Farmer fixes have caused me more grief, especially if they had a welder. Have one on the mower deck I will have to deal with when I get to it. In that case a big hammer did the dirty deed plus maybe a welder. One of the gauge wheels is stuck in the mount and looks like they tried to adjust the height with a sledge hammer.

The saga continues...