BX2200 New Guy Questions

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Certainly not trying to spam the forum so somebody tell me to shut up if I do something out of line.

I have a couple general BX2200 questions that I can't seem to find the answer to in the manuals or Googling or here.

I'll start with: I see people talking about RPM's in the context of engaging PTO and what RPM the 54" MMM I've got is supposed to run at, but unless I'm the world's dumbest fairly handy person. I don't see a tachometer. Is that info referring to newer BX models that maybe have one? I just don't want to bust something trying to guess RPM by ear and throttle position.

Second question for now is: even in warm (for Maine) temps of ~60F, the glow plug indicator light on the dash doesn't turn off until I start the engine. I've tried holding the key in the "warm" position for a while and it never goes off. Is that normal or should I dig deeper if it's indicative of a bigger problem?

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I generally engage the PTO at idle or just slightly above idle on my BX and then rev up from there. Many people run at wide open for mowing. I run at just below. Try different ranges and see what works best for you.

The glow plug light won't turn off until you take it out of "warm" on the switch. That manual will tell you how long to keep it at "warm" depending on different outside temperature ranges.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I generally engage the PTO at idle or just slightly above idle on my BX and then rev up from there. Many people run at wide open for mowing. I run at just below. Try different ranges and see what works best for you.

The glow plug light won't turn off until you take it out of "warm" on the switch. That manual will tell you how long to keep it at "warm" depending on different outside temperature ranges.

Thanks for the response!

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
No problem

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Certainly not trying to spam the forum so somebody tell me to shut up if I do something out of line.

I have a couple general BX2200 questions that I can't seem to find the answer to in the manuals or Googling or here.

I'll start with: I see people talking about RPM's in the context of engaging PTO and what RPM the 54" MMM I've got is supposed to run at, but unless I'm the world's dumbest fairly handy person. I don't see a tachometer. Is that info referring to newer BX models that maybe have one? I just don't want to bust something trying to guess RPM by ear and throttle position.

Second question for now is: even in warm (for Maine) temps of ~60F, the glow plug indicator light on the dash doesn't turn off until I start the engine. I've tried holding the key in the "warm" position for a while and it never goes off. Is that normal or should I dig deeper if it's indicative of a bigger problem?
Lobsterclaw,

I don't know of ANY BX that does not have a tach. Some are digital along with the hour meter and some are analog with a needle. How about a picture of your dash so myself or others can point out to you where the tach is located?

Welcome to the BX club.

Dave

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I looked on the parts diagram and couldn't find a tach listed... So, running your mower deck would be just under wide open (typically). As stated above, you should be able to engage the PTO at or slightly above idle (just so it doesn't stall). I generally return the throttle to just above idle when disengaging the pto as well.

You can go here to see illustrated parts list.

https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Parts list/ diagrams should also be located from Messick's as well here: https://www.messicks.com/ku/84749

You can find a WSM here (3 options):

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Wsm-Bx2200-6914735.html

https://www.kubota.cz/data/soubor/WSM_BX1800_2200_EN.pdf

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
It looks like your BX2200 simply never was offered with a tach. In this case, run the engine at or very near wide open throttle for mowing. You won't hurt anything.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
It looks like your BX2200 simply never was offered with a tach. In this case, run the engine at or very near wide open throttle for mowing. You won't hurt anything.
My BX2230 doesn't have a tach either. I am however, going to put a Tiny Tach digital tach on it in the near future. In fact, I am 3d printing an enclosure to mount it in as I type this. I'll post pictures in the customization section when I have it installed.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Thanks guys! @Pepsiboy, I'm not sure where the discrepancy lies but it doesn't seem like any BX came with one? Or at least not the BX2200, I can post a pic of the dash though.

I've been engaging at as low a throttle as possible then ramping it up, I just wasn't sure if max or close to max was near the mower deck max rpm so didn't want to hurt anything.

@dlsmith I'd definitely be interested in seeing more info about that, and maybe the 3d printer file since my buddy has one of them things. Thanks!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I'm a new tractor owner as well. L2501 HST. Everything I have read, and Ive been reading a lot, has consistently suggested that when operating a mower or something on PTO, that your risk of "damaging something" would be higher trying to run the mower at a lower rpm rather than a higher one. A lot of the smaller tractors have to run at higher RPMS in order to get the same pto speeds. I also know when I was shoping for my tractor, I was making a decision between the B and the L. The B had mid mount options. The rated RPM for the MID pto in the B's was all right near the maximum RPM of the tractor. I think you're getting good advice here to run the RPM's just a tap below wide open, if not wide open. I think running it too low would be the bigger worry.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Lobsterclaw,

I don't know of ANY BX that does not have a tach. Some are digital along with the hour meter and some are analog with a needle. How about a picture of your dash so myself or others can point out to you where the tach is located?

Welcome to the BX club.

Dave
Your do now. The BX2200 does not have a tach. Mine was bought new and at the time the only option was an aftermarket tach if you wanted one...

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...I've been engaging at as low a throttle as possible then ramping it up, I just wasn't sure if max or close to max was near the mower deck max rpm so didn't want to hurt anything.
To be clear, I would engage the mower like you are at a lower RPM, than ramp up to max. If you are cutting nicely, you could try reducing RPMs a tad, but there isn't really a need to do so.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My first Kubota was a BX2200 with 60" mmm and ran it pegged out as per dealer. I bought a new BX2660 60" MMM and it had a tach, really hard to read, so I ran it as per manual, right at 3000. Now I just peg them out and back off just touch, close enough or me.

They are great little machines.

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
Hello and welcome to the BX2200 club. Get ready for the all too frequent comment of offering help and getting, "Oh, I don't want you to hurt your tractor." For a sub compact, it is a beast. It is (my opinion of course) the perfect home-owner size. People are constantly offering to buy my machine.

Don't bother with a tach. What is it going to tell you really? This isn't a farm tractor where you might worry about 540rpm speeds for an actual reason.

When warm, above 40', let the glow plugs warm for about 4 seconds then start. Cold, go 6-7 seconds. Little black smoke is normal.

Engage pto at just-above idle to reduce jolt to the engine. I run wide-open when mowing as well, but I also have the power bagger, so I am powering two items off the pto's.

Hints...
-Engage the traction lock foot lever for locking the rears at a very slow moving of tires. You won't get it engaged if you are not moving a small bit. Never engage with the tire spinning quickly.
-4wd lever comes out of 4wd if you relieve pressure from drivetrain. If stopped, try adding a bit of reverse, and it should slip out. If moving, pull up on the lever, and let of the hydro pedal for a second and it will slip out.
-Switch from low to high only when completely stopped, or you will nasty grinding noise....which equal not good!

Good luck and ask questions when you have them. I love my machine!
-Gary

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
You guys are awesome thank you for all the info. I'm already hooked on this thing, I can't go a day without driving it / finding a task for it to do. Yesterday I used the bucket to crush a bunch of cardboard boxes destined for recycling haha.

My next new guy question (and there will be more) is about diesel fuel:

I've been reading as much as I can find, but what is the best practices for fuel? Do I need additives? How about summer vs winter, is there something I'll want to do differently (I am in Maine, so it gets COLD)?

Thanks again for helping me out with learning about this thing.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I've been reading as much as I can find, but what is the best practices for fuel? Do I need additives? How about summer vs winter, is there something I'll want to do differently (I am in Maine, so it gets COLD)?
I live in NH, so similar temps. Suppliers will treat diesel fuel in the winter, which basically means they will add #1 arctic blend diesel into the standard #2 diesel you normally buy (which is the same as home heating oil you use in your furnace). However, sometimes they don't add enough, or a more common problem...you last fueled up your tractor in warmer weather and don't have the winter blend diesel.

In this case, especially when its going to be very cold, put some anti-gel additive in your fuel, start your tractor, and let it run for 5-10 minutes. This will circulate the anti-gel fuel around your fuel system. Regular diesel can wax, gel, or freeze in very cold weather. #1 diesel has more kerosene in it, which provides less lubrication to your fuel system, but doesn't freeze or gel as easily.

Other additives are generally unnecessary.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Your do now. The BX2200 does not have a tach. Mine was bought new and at the time the only option was an aftermarket tach if you wanted one...
Henro,

YUP ! ! From what I have seen about the BX line, they all had a tach. WRONG ! ! ! New info for me. :eek: Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD

My next new guy question (and there will be more) is about diesel fuel:
Thanks again for helping me out with learning about this thing.
Troverman answered this very well. I will add that fuel quality (and reliability of winter blending) varies greatly across the country. I assume my fuel is not correctly blended for winter, and use Power Service winter additive.
Also, the way the end user handles the fuel is important. Try to keep the machine's tank topped off, store the fuel inside a shed or garage, and consider filtering the fuel as it goes into the tractor. If you're filling with 5 gallon cans, there is a great filtering product called Mr. Funnel. Basically a funnel (duh) that catches large particles, but more importantly will NOT pass water. Water contamination is probably the single most frequent issue with diesel fuel, and I can assure you that water contaminated fuel is a real hassle.
Enjoy your BX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Also note that diesel anti-gel additive doesn’t work very well when it’s cold out. Best to add when the weather is a touch warmer. My 2017 Ford diesel pickup froze up two winters ago in below zero conditions and adding anti gel didn’t work.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Once again, thank you all for the replies!

Now, with regards to tires: my BX2200 came with turf tires, which is good because mowing will be one of it's most regular duties. I have the 54" Kubota MMM, and I've heard/read about wheel spacers and their corresponding increase in stability. Since I do have a bunch of grades/slight side slopes on my property, are wheel spacers a smart upgrade? What size? Where is the best place to buy? Or are they not a good idea for whatever reason ....? I thought I remember reading there's a max size before they'd interfere with the mower, which makes obvious sense. I plan to obtain tire chains for winter use, is there anything I need to know about the relationship between spacers, chains, and tractor?

Follow up question, at the risk of exposing myself and possibly falling victim to a running forum joke or something.... Fill me in on putting fluids in the tires? Is that a thing? Like I said before, it gets cold where I live. Is there a freezing consideration? Does this actually help balance out the FEL?

Thanks guys!!!