New BX23 - how many hours is no longer new?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Agree with D2....I would walk on those clowns! I have NEVER heard anyone claim you can't pick the tractor you are buying! Complete rubbish.

Find a dealer interested in EARNING your business!
Bingo!

Find a different dealer.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey Gents, new to the Forum, have a few points to add:

1. Up to about 25 hours is still considered new for most Kubota products. 25 sounds like a lot to me, but that's what I've heard.

2. The break-in period on your tractor IS important, but consider WHY the machine has hours. Was it used as a demo, meaning it was just moving the bucket around and driving it around the parking lot? Was it used in a parade or toured around a golf course all afternoon so lots of people could see it? Those aren't bad hours to have on the machine. Most dealers are pretty particular about HOW you use their demo machine, because they know they have to sell it and don't want to have problems.

3. Of course your dealer wants to sell the unit he's had in stock longest, first. By no means is he obligated to do so. If you have a legitimate concern, then pick a different unit. That said, the bar for "legitimate concern" is probably high than you think. It's a tractor. It's made to be used and abused. It'll be fine.

side note: $23k sounds like a lot to me for a BX, even with a belly mower. Did you add a grapple as well? Send me a PM with all the options you selected and I'll see what we would sell that for locally, so you know you're getting a fair deal.
My guess is that that dealer wants to sell a tractor that has been sitting on the lot for awhile and has aged inventory pricing applied. I'm also betting that he is not going to tell you about and has no plans to pass it on.

Walk.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Re: New Dealer BX23 - how many hours is no longer new?

I’m waiting on deliver of a new BX23. (Dealer prepping, financing paper not signed yet). This is a a dream purchase and one that is enormously significant for my family and I. We haven’t purchased a new vehicle of any sort for over a decade, no big toys (boats, quads, motorcycles, etc) and are forgoing purchasing an RV to make this happen.

Presently, the dealer has 3 BX23s sitting on the lot. Was told I can’t pick which one. The one that looks next to go has some obivious use. I’m guessing probably customer demo use at the dealership. Nothing major - but also noticeable compared to the machines it’s sitting next to.

I’m wondering how many hours is “too many” from a refusal perspective when I go to pick it up.

As an aside, I’m already dissatisfied with how the sale is going. I’m not expecting to be treated like royalty - but in spending over $23k (with options) I frankly expect more. I’ve had intermittent calls back from the salesman, who on whole doesn’t seem to be overly interested (actually doesn’t seem interested at all) in making a sale or helping determine exactly what I need (frankly - if it were not for YouTube videos I’d not know anything about the availability of the options I’ve purchased - Messicks really deserves the commission on this sale,...), he also seems “old school” - instead of showing me numbers on a computer screen, writes them on the back of a manilla folder and adds up price with a calculator, when I’ve asked about cost for options they’re looked up in a wrinkled book or pulled from memory. I’m 49 - so not a snowflake snob, but this is 2019 and a $23k purchase. This is at a MAJOR dealership mind you.

Anyhow, I have done dozens and dozens of hours of research over several years. I’m set on the machine (BX23 w/ 54” drive over deck) and don’t want to be “that guy”. I also don’t want to be treated 2nd rate because I’m not buying and $50-100k machine either.

Bottom line, I don’t want to come off like an a-hole (sorry couldn’t think of another term) - but if I end up with a tractor that had a couple of hours someone else put on it, pushing it to “see what it could do” (I’m extremely careful with equipment and try to baby things to “break them in”) I’m likely to walk away. I’m just wondering where the “reasonable” line is. $23k is a LOT of money to me and will still buy a new car these days. I’m sold on Kubota products, but so far, their dealer support seems very lacking.

Thanks for any input,

Calvin
You will quickly find that any tractor, car, truck, etc., is used if it has been demoed or even sold and not used.

You doubt? Buy one, don't pick it up and try to trade it in for another. How new is it now?

SDT

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
In my opinion, spending that kind of money and buying new, I would not want any hours on it. I just purchased a new BX 2380 about 4 months ago. At the time due to Hurricane Michael, two of the three fairly close dealers were closed due to damage to their buildings. The dealer in Tallahassee that I purchased from had three still in the crates so I got one of those (zero hours). Dealing with that dealer is another subject but did not have much choice. When I got their the price was a thousand more than we agreed on over the phone. I paid $15,000 w/ FEL and Box Scrapper. which I still thought was decent. They just were not very friendly and while sitting there doing the paper work the manager came in and basically yelled at the sales man about another deal going on. I really did not want to deal with them in the future. So, one of the other dealer (now open again) said they would be glad to do my warranty work when the need arises. Good luck with your new toy.

Mandres

Equipment
BX1880
Jul 20, 2018
Houston, TX

Dude, Barlow's...
They beat my local dealer quote by a thousand bucks, before sales tax, and delivered to my door.

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN

I***8217;d walk out on any dealer that doesn***8217;t show a little enthusiasm and respect for a sale of any product over $1000. Think about how hard you have worked and the sacrifices you have made to save up $23,000! And, if you are financing it, you***8217;ll likely be dishing out another $5000+. Your relationship with your local Kubota dealer is important as you***8217;ll be needing them over the years, most likely.

I bought my first tractor a couple months ago on auction, site-unseen, with 26hrs on it from IronPlanet.com. It***8217;s basically new. Smells new. I got it for $10,000+ less than it would have been at the dealer. Great buying experience. Of course, there is inherent risk in purchasing this way, but it worked for me. This auction site offers their own inspection guarantee, so I was comfortable enough. You have to figure out what your comfort level is and stay within that.

I***8217;ve been working with my local dealer to get a front snowblower and FEL installed. They are impressed with the price I paid and have noted several times what a deal I got. If you***8217;re not in a hurry to get your tractor, I***8217;d encourage a little more looking around for a better experience within your own comfort zone.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York

Dude, Barlow's...
They beat my local dealer quote by a thousand bucks, before sales tax, and delivered to my door.
They dropped off mine with .3 hours in my driveway for thousands less than local. I do buy all fluids and filters local to maintain a relationship with local dealer.

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
If you are having problems with the dealer on the purchase I would be concerned of what customer service you will get after purchase.

I narrowed my choice to 3 tractors and considered how close to me they were and how easy to get the tractor to/from them.

I’m lucky messicks is close to me and after watching Neil’s videos it was an easy decision.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If the dealer won’t let you pick which tractor you get and won’t tell you which one they are going to give you, I would be in my truck driving like a bat out of h***, to the next dealer to get a quote. They obviously don’t want your business and as others have pointed out, this is probably the tip of the iceberg of what they will be like to deal with later on.