L3901 and L3301

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
:)

KennedyFarmer, like Speedymph1000 said, the BH77 is worth its weight in gold. My dealer actually tried to talk me out of it. I am awfully glad he wasn't successful. Probably half of my machines hours thus far have been hoe use.:)
My dealer was very helpful with My purchase and was willing to sell anything I'd buy. I can't imagine a salesman trying to talk You out of buying a $7k attachment.

Does his Massey have a rubber cover over the trans that doubles as a floor mat? I agree that the HST is loud and when I was researching tractors, some manufacturers made a point out of 'soundproofing' the HST this way. I'm wondering if that's all it takes?
I don't know if his has the mat around the HST or not but the next time I go over there I'll be crawling under it to have a look. I know his does have some kind of rubber mat on the floor of the operators station though.
I hear a lot of people say that about their BH options. i think the dealers like to talk people out of them because 1) it probably is a big issue for them dealing with service on them 2) the don't like the people that get them then calling "hey how to I work this thing?"
I could see that being a problem, people buying it and not knowing how to use it.

I know that you are talking about the L3301 & L3901 - I have a L4600 - I went with it because I wanted the no regen motor, and that is all they could get me at the time.

Anyway, the L4600 has a heaver frame and loader and I also get the "tippy feeling" frequently. With either the loader bucket or the grapple on the front end, when I dig into something, and we are only talking the sand of west coast of Florida, the rear of the tractor - sometime both sides, sometimes only one side or the other lift off the ground. This usually happens when I am trying to remove some of the pesky palmetto bushes and the loader or grapple get stuck on some roots, lifts the rear of the tractor right off the ground - enough so that I always wear the seatbelt on the tractor now.

Dan
hot & sunny Florida
I don't get the tippy feeling like most I guess because I run back hoes on a regular basis so I'm pretty used to the unsettling feelings, but My L3901 is pretty stable. The tires are R4's and they are filled, when You add that to the weight of the BH77 it makes for a nicely planted machine. If You still have trouble after You fill Your tires, try spacers and weights, also be sure You keep a pretty heavy implement on the 3 point to help out some.

JimmyT

Mar 8, 2015
Fortson, GA
Guys I am. Complete new to the forum and I need some help with my new 3901 4 wd HST. I have a FEL and BH77 backhoe mounted from the factory. Literally 2 hours on it.

So I work on an oil rig rotation work so I'm gone 2 weeks Then home 2 weeks. Right before I left I fired her up to teach myself how to operate. I followed the manual and stayed at low RPMs as instructed during the break in period. I backed it out of the garage just fine then engaged the backhoe. I played around w controls just becoming familiar. All is fine in the world.

I raised the backhoe back into travel configuration and then the issue began. I had it in Low range and when I accelerated the engine was whining loud enough to concern me. I tried Medium range and the whine is louder and in High range it's loudest.

Now let me say in the 20 minutes I drove it prior to operating the back hoe it mad zero noise whatsoever. Purred like a kitten. I can barely hear the whine at idle but its very pronounced as I increase throttle.

It is also more difficult to shift from Low Medium and High ranges where it wasn't doing that before. I had to leave for Alaska and just got home. I need any help before I crank it back up. I obviously just don't want to damage it.

The only thing I can thing of is I did move the position control lever after. For the life of me I don't remember if I did it before or after it made the noise. I know- dumbass! The position control is now pushed all the way down towards the engine. Did Imees something up with the 3 point hitch? Meaning is it trying to push thenon existent implement up or down?

The PTO knob has never been engaged as I was toldthe backhoe runs directly off the tractor hydraulics.

I called my salesman and he said that the HST tractors do whine especially when breaking them in. He was supposed to drive to my house and give it a ride but he flaked on me. He also said I wouldn't hurt it so to keep using it.

Forgive for being a novice and making I'm freaking out for nothing. I just know 100% that this noise I'm hearing did not happen until after I operated the backhoe.

THANK YOU in advance for your help.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Guys I am. Complete new to the forum and I need some help with my new 3901 4 wd HST. I have a FEL and BH77 backhoe mounted from the factory. Literally 2 hours on it.

Forgive for being a novice and making I'm freaking out for nothing. I just know 100% that this noise I'm hearing did not happen until after I operated the backhoe.

Hey, JimmyT, welcome to the OTT! Sorry your first post had to be such a traumatic one. I'm not clear -- did this just happen and now you're off to fish for oil, or are you now back home and ready to dig?

In any case, it sounds like your new baby is making a horrible noise that is not actually something going horribly wrong. The first thought that occurs to me is what you've suggested: some leaver isn't set correctly. The second is that the hydraulic fluid may be low (did you check it after the noise started?) Sadly, I'm not knowledgeable about your machine, but I can reassure you that you haven't broken anything, and likely won't. I'm just chiming in here cuz I can feel yer pain, and you don't need to be tearing your insides out frettin about it.

Hopefully some of the gurus will chime in soon. In the meantime, one thing that occurs to me is to tie up the BH and stabilizers, then take all to pressure off them and disconnect the hydro lines. Then drive it and see if the sound is different. (Or gone!) Instead of tying it up, you may prefer to just remove the BH, but I'm the lazy sort who wouldn't want to do that just to check for noises.

The think I'd like to rule out is the use of the BH being the reason the noise started -- were all the cylinders and lines full, or were there substantial voids in the system? It seems unlikely the BH could be mounted and have enough air in the system to cause your tractor to scream when the voids got filled, but that's all I can think of.

Hang on, the folk who know stuff will be here soon!

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania

So I work on an oil rig rotation work so I'm gone 2 weeks Then home 2 weeks. Right before I left I fired her up to teach myself how to operate. I followed the manual and stayed at low RPMs as instructed during the break in period. I backed it out of the garage just fine then engaged the backhoe. I played around w controls just becoming familiar. All is fine in the world.

I raised the backhoe back into travel configuration and then the issue began. I had it in Low range and when I accelerated the engine was whining loud enough to concern me. I tried Medium range and the whine is louder and in High range it's loudest.

Now let me say in the 20 minutes I drove it prior to operating the back hoe it mad zero noise whatsoever. Purred like a kitten. I can barely hear the whine at idle but its very pronounced as I increase throttle.

It is also more difficult to shift from Low Medium and High ranges where it wasn't doing that before. I had to leave for Alaska and just got home. I need any help before I crank it back up. I obviously just don't want to damage it.

The only thing I can thing of is I did move the position control lever after. For the life of me I don't remember if I did it before or after it made the noise. I know- dumbass! The position control is now pushed all the way down towards the engine. Did Imees something up with the 3 point hitch? Meaning is it trying to push thenon existent implement up or down?

The PTO knob has never been engaged as I was toldthe backhoe runs directly off the tractor hydraulics.

I called my salesman and he said that the HST tractors do whine especially when breaking them in. He was supposed to drive to my house and give it a ride but he flaked on me. He also said I wouldn't hurt it so to keep using it.

Make sure you don't have the break set, it will whine and stuggle but still move with the brakes on. The HST does make some noise, it normal from what I can tell. But make sure you are not riding the brakes i have done it twice and both times i said man somethings doesn't sound right!

Shifting, when i test drove mine i asked why it was so hard to change ranges. He told me when it won't move just tap the HST pedal he said it also gets better after the tractor breaks in a little. I have noticed with mine if you just move a little while in neutral it will shift right in. It might not work if you are on flat level land.

Get the dealer involved make sure they know who you are and ask for someone to come out and ease your concerns, tell them you aren't happy that he flaked on you and that you didn't spend all this money to just have them take the money an run. If they aren't happy with them call Kubota corporate and talk to the regional manager.

I have almost 10hrs on mine i don't have the BH on mine :-(

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Chief81

Equipment
l3800, zd326, b6200
Jun 23, 2015
Gainesville, TX
Make sure your hydraulic lines going from the tractor to backhoe is connected. If one of the lines came loose it interrupts the tractors flow of hydraulic fluid and it will make a lot of noise.

JimmyT

Mar 8, 2015
Fortson, GA
Yeah I just landed this afternoon from the land of Mosquitos and tundra of the North Slope of AK wanting to start my digging project. I have terrible storm water/flooding issues going on. I need to dig several feet of silt build up from my creek and clean the roadside ditch up after the county told me I was on my own.

Already have my dig permits, 300 feet of geotextile fabric and stakes, landscaping mesh and gravel. I just need my tractor to give me the go ahead.

I do almost all my own work but my only experience with hydraulics is with my 27 ton log splitter and all the research and reading I've done on my 3901 doesn't seem to be landing.

It's just frustrating to have such a badass piece of machinery that I'm too worried to use. I Promised myself last winter that I had shoveled and pushed my last wheelbarrow of dirt and I am not going back to that method after doing my entire life!

I will try checking the hydraulic connection and the brakes in the morning. If that doesn't do the trick I'm calling the salesman back. I never liked him as much as the mechanic. We hit it off and I trust him.

I really appreciate the reassurance and the suggestions. Y'all are good people.

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
Check the little levers that raise and lower Your stabilizers, You might have one stuck, the HST is really loud anyway. As for shifting, press in Your clutch and rock the HST back and forward and move the shift lever, also while My BH77 is on I remove the top link and lift arms for the 3pt off and the lift lever is in the up position. Try these suggestions, if these don't work call Your dealer and demand that he have a look at it.

JimmyT

Mar 8, 2015
Fortson, GA
Thanks KennedyFarmer

So at this point my pride is second to me understanding this noise so I'm just going to admit I'm not certain I know what you mean by making sure I'm not riding the brakes lol.

I know the parking brake is not set. I have that small bar behind the left and right brake pedal in the down position locking them together. My understanding is that simply allows simultaneous braking during operation while unlatching them from each allows me to turn in a very tight radius if needed.

So is the parking brake what you are suggesting I check or is there a way to have the left and right brake engaged and locked that is unrelated to the two being "synchronized". Now that I think about it the sound it is making sounds like your solution could be possible. Off the top of my head the thought I have of unlocking the brakes would be to unlatch the left and right tire brake.

I will fire it up in about 5 hours to check y'all's suggestions.

Make sure you don't have the break set, it will whine and stuggle but still move with the brakes on. The HST does make some noise, it normal from what I can tell. But make sure you are not riding the brakes i have done it twice and both times i said man somethings doesn't sound right!

Shifting, when i test drove mine i asked why it was so hard to change ranges. He told me when it won't move just tap the HST pedal he said it also gets better after the tractor breaks in a little. I have noticed with mine if you just move a little while in neutral it will shift right in. It might not work if you are on flat level land.

Get the dealer involved make sure they know who you are and ask for someone to come out and ease your concerns, tell them you aren't happy that he flaked on you and that you didn't spend all this money to just have them take the money an run. If they aren't happy with them call Kubota corporate and talk to the regional manager.

I have almost 10hrs on mine i don't have the BH on mine :-(

Hope this helps!

JimmyT

Mar 8, 2015
Fortson, GA
The position control lever on my 3901... Is "float"pushed down all the way, "down" in the middle and "up"pulled all the way back to the rear?

I remember why I moved the lever now. The sticker said to have it in down position so I pushed it all the way forward(towards the front of tractor). Now I'm thinking I put it in float?
image.jpg

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
The position control lever on my 3901... Is "float"pushed down all the way, "down" in the middle and "up"pulled all the way back to the rear?

I remember why I moved the lever now. The sticker said to have it in down position so I pushed it all the way forward(towards the front of tractor). Now I'm thinking I put it in float?
View attachment 17122
I keep my lift arms up and I don't have a problem. if the parking brake isn't set you should be ok make sure your rpms are up for travel. I don't know the terrain in your area but mine gets noise if you have the rpms low and its realy working hard to drive.

JimmyT

Mar 8, 2015
Fortson, GA
Thanks everyone for the help with the whining issue on my 3901. The reason I didn't post any follow up yesterday is because I spent the day digging out my ditch!

I did everything everyone suggested and although I still hear the whining it is not as loud and now seems like what I would consider acceptable.

I also believe I wasn't running at the appropriate RPMs which caused the whining to sound worse.

I didn't do too bad for my first time running a backhoe and will post some pics later. My dig permit expired today but there is no law preventing me from pushing all the dirt that I dug up yesterday so I'm about to get back at it. I really like this tractor.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for the help with the whining issue on my 3901. The reason I didn't post any follow up yesterday is because I spent the day digging out my ditch!

I did everything everyone suggested and although I still hear the whining it is not as loud and now seems like what I would consider acceptable.

I also believe I wasn't running at the appropriate RPMs which caused the whining to sound worse.

I didn't do too bad for my first time running a backhoe and will post some pics later. My dig permit expired today but there is no law preventing me from pushing all the dirt that I dug up yesterday so I'm about to get back at it. I really like this tractor.
Great! Can't want to see the pictures!

I been using mine off an on, did about 6 half loads of rock for landscaping project we been putting off. I am glad we put it off so long since most of the rock was heavy and utility dump carts don't like heavy stuff neither does my back and the rest of my body. I am getting more of a feel for it everyday. I am still waiting to get my wheels loaded with rimguard. Then some more weight on the three point.

dakotablues

Equipment
L3901
Jun 24, 2015
Canton, MI
Hello all - new L3901HST owner here. Love the tractor - but I too feel like the HST whining is pretty loud? I'll check the fluid to make sure they had it topped off before delivery. Only a few hours on it with mild brush-hogging done.

Now - it was about 80-85 degrees out - but I must say, the tractor really seems to kick-off A LOT of heat??? Think I read this one other place before buying the tractor - thoughts guys? Really pretty hot in the seat. Read one guy that suggested he couldn't handle tools out of his tool-box on the baxk of the tractor after prolonged use - sounds extreme.

Appreciate your though on the heat - would be super in the Winter I guess . . . if it's normal!

Thanks in advance.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hello all - new L3901HST owner here. Love the tractor - but I too feel like the HST whining is pretty loud? I'll check the fluid to make sure they had it topped off before delivery. Only a few hours on it with mild brush-hogging done.

Now - it was about 80-85 degrees out - but I must say, the tractor really seems to kick-off A LOT of heat??? Think I read this one other place before buying the tractor - thoughts guys? Really pretty hot in the seat. Read one guy that suggested he couldn't handle tools out of his tool-box on the baxk of the tractor after prolonged use - sounds extreme.

Appreciate your though on the heat - would be super in the Winter I guess . . . if it's normal!

Thanks in advance.
I dunno, but I just got off my 3560 after pasture mowing with it for the first time, and my thought was it was pretty toasty there. Engine temp running normal. This is where we wish for one of those nice airconditioned cabs..:rolleyes:

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania

Thanks in advance.
I have noticed the heat but if your moving it isn't that bad. i can't see how the tools got too hot unless the tool box was siting right by the exhaust. :confused: My canopy gets a little warm underneath. Of course i like to know who was the genius that said lets paint the underside of the canopy BLACK, because the operator is trying to stay cool in the shade! :cool:

That's my next mod repaint the canopy!