M5040 won't go forward

TNmules

Equipment
B3200HSD
Jun 6, 2014
Woodbury,TN,USA
Was driving the M5040 today and when I tried to shift into forward the tractor would stall. It only drives in reverse now. I noticed that the forward/reverse shift lever was really difficult to use. Any ideas what the likely cause would be?
Difficulty to repair?

Thanks

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Does it have sync-shuttle or hyd shuttle? If sync-shuttle my M4900 acted as you describe and I had to have tractor split & shuttle assembly replaced as reverse syncronizers failed getting stuck in reverse.

TNmules

Equipment
B3200HSD
Jun 6, 2014
Woodbury,TN,USA
It's the Hydraulic shuttle model. \Forward/Neutral/Reverse shift handle on left by steering wheel,clutch pedal, four speed shifter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
looks like it's cable shuttle linkage, I'm betting on broken or damaged cable.
I'll send you a link for the WSM look on page 3-S7 for more info.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
If as you state "stalls when shifted into forward" I think it could be faulty hyd control valve or possibly warped clutch disc's in reverser

Harleydewd

Equipment
M5040, M4900, Exmark
Jan 3, 2014
Fayette Cnty, Tennessee
I am having a similar problem with my M5040. My shuttle shift has always been stiffer than my M4900 was but it always worked. A couple of days ago, I got on the tractor to mow and it would not move forward, reverse was fine and after a few attempts it moved forward fine. Now about half the time it will do fine, other times I move it into reverse then back to forward to get it to work. I looked at the page 3 S7 which has to do with neutral safety start function. Mine does not stall, it just doesn't move forward.
Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Wolfman, Connie's Restaurant has an awesome breakfast, beautiful country up there.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If as you state "stalls when shifted into forward" I think it could be faulty hyd control valve or possibly warped clutch disc's in reverser
Hydraulic shuttles don't have a reverser.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Hydraulic shuttles don't have a reverser.
Really just different nomenclature to call something!!! Granted hyd shuttle(reverser) doesn't necessitate depressing clutch pedal to change tractor directions at lower engine/ground speeds. Hyd shuttle just ""reverses direction of travel"" when shifted.
Thanks,Jim

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It has a two-sided hydraulically activated shuttle clutch. Look close at your linkages. If ok, you're going to have to do a pressure test for the shuttle clutch assembly (forward, neutral, and reverse pressures are listed in the WSM). If ok, I'd bet the shuttle clutch is damaged, requires tractor splitting.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am having a similar problem with my M5040. My shuttle shift has always been stiffer than my M4900 was but it always worked. A couple of days ago, I got on the tractor to mow and it would not move forward, reverse was fine and after a few attempts it moved forward fine. Now about half the time it will do fine, other times I move it into reverse then back to forward to get it to work. I looked at the page 3 S7 which has to do with neutral safety start function. Mine does not stall, it just doesn't move forward.
Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Wolfman, Connie's Restaurant has an awesome breakfast, beautiful country up there.
You need to see the hydraulic shuttle as just another hydraulic control like your 3 pt hitch or loader..

The cabin control is moving a hydraulic valve to effect the shuttle shift.

I have attached the section of the Workshop Manual that shows pictures and explains how to adjust the cable that connect the cabin lever to the spool valve in the transmission.

Dave

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure about the particular unit here but my Hydraulic shuttle controls are all levers and heim joints and the flow control valve is adjustable for lock up pressure. It's located on the side of my main case on my M's. Setting it, you need a pressure gauge.

The shuttle control valve controls the applied fluid pressure to the clutch pack. It's rare that the pack becomes inoperative. It's a wet clutch arrangement like the brakes so wear is negligible.

Of course reliability does depend on clean fluid and proper fluid changes.

Harleydewd

Equipment
M5040, M4900, Exmark
Jan 3, 2014
Fayette Cnty, Tennessee
Dave, Thanks for your reply. Before I saw your reply, I went out and tried adjusting the cable in both directions but it didn't improve the condition either way. I was considering ordering a cable but after the adjustments didn't help, I am not confident that will be a good fix. I tried to move the lever at the transmission but it is pretty tight between the fuel tank and transmission and didn't have anyone here to assist by pressing the clutch. Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I sure don't want to split the tractor if I don't have to. Thanks!

Harleydewd

Equipment
M5040, M4900, Exmark
Jan 3, 2014
Fayette Cnty, Tennessee
Not sure about the particular unit here but my Hydraulic shuttle controls are all levers and heim joints and the flow control valve is adjustable for lock up pressure. It's located on the side of my main case on my M's. Setting it, you need a pressure gauge.

The shuttle control valve controls the applied fluid pressure to the clutch pack. It's rare that the pack becomes inoperative. It's a wet clutch arrangement like the brakes so wear is negligible.

Of course reliability does depend on clean fluid and proper fluid changes.
Thanks Sidecar, The 5040 is primarily a cable between levers but you may be correct on the low pressure, when put in forward it does try to move very slowly. The filters and hydraulic fluid were changed less than 100 hours ago and the level is correct, I am using the Kubota Super UDT fluid. I hate having to haul it in to the dealer but I guess that would be better than splitting.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thanks Sidecar, The 5040 is primarily a cable between levers but you may be correct on the low pressure, when put in forward it does try to move very slowly. The filters and hydraulic fluid were changed less than 100 hours ago and the level is correct, I am using the Kubota Super UDT fluid. I hate having to haul it in to the dealer but I guess that would be better than splitting.
The valve is supposed to modulate the load on the pack relative to 'sensed' load on the tractor. How it does that, not sure but with mine, when I engage the shuttle lever with no load on the tractor, engagement is gentle. When I have say my hay mower on the back, engagement is much more abrupt.

You can check the pack pressure via a liquid filled gauge and fitting, there is an access port on the side of the valve body. The correct engagement pressure is in the WSM. Forward and reverse is mechanical in the transmission via shift forks operated in conjunction with the lock up pack pressure.

For my end use, the hydraulic shuttle is far superior to any dry clutch. When round bailing, I'm constantly starting and stopping and pto rated speed. A dry clutch would never hold up under those circumstances.

I'd actually prefer a CVT but that won't happen for me so the Hydraulic Shuttle is the next best alternative.

I don't use Kubota fluid at all. I use Chevron Synthetic All Weather THC. in the case, 80-90 GL4-5 in the front axle and Rotella 5-40 T6 in the crankcase, but Kubota filters always.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Guess I'm lucky in that respect (hauling them to the dealer). My dealer will pick them up if I need service on something I cannot do myself and my dealer will let me use his specialized tools as well. In fact I have his Kubota wheel stud setters here right now.

I have a play issue with my left outboard planetary on one tractor. It has maybe 1/32" freeplay in the upper bushing so this winter I'll pull it and take the assembly in and have them rebush it. No point in picking up the tractor when I can pull it myself.

Good dealers like I have are far and few between and they get 100% of my business all the time. Just bought a new Kubota rotary rake. Zero percent financing for 5 years and quarterly payments.

Harleydewd

Equipment
M5040, M4900, Exmark
Jan 3, 2014
Fayette Cnty, Tennessee
I talked to dealer and they said the cable has a service note and part number has been changed about six times. Tech said a bad cable could exhibit same symptoms as I have and suggested I try that before going further. It should be in Friday so I will update you all with my results. Thanks for all your responses and advice.