Hard starting,Glow plugs ?

2pats2

Equipment
B6100D,snow blower,rear blade,belly mower,dozer blade and rear ender buckket
Jan 26, 2010
Gibsonia,Penna.
O.K. I have read all the postings and have become convinced it is time to replace the origional glow plugs on my 1978 B 6100 D ,700 hrs.In cold weather I must heat the plugs for at least 60sec.and then it still starts hard running at only at about 1/4 throttle for about a min.or so till it will take more throttle.Even in warm weather I have to pre heat for 30 sec.I thought I had a fuel problem but have ruled that out.These plugs are 30 years old.Am I on the right track ?
Patrick......
patnpat@zoominternet.net

bigdpontiac

Equipment
l245dt
Feb 18, 2010
woodstock,ohio,united states
Hello, I have a similar problem with my L245. One of the members mentioned that I need 850cca battery or larger. Also, that there is a compression release on my new (old) machine which I would have seen if the knob had not been broken off. Hope that helps.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
60 seconds isn't considered a long time for glow plugs for your model year tractor. You can simply pull them out and see how hot they get before deciding to make the purchase. One thing you can do, is after you get the tractor running, you can "re charge" the plugs for another 10-20 secs by turning your key back to the preheat setting, this will improve your fuel combustion as well.

2pats2

Equipment
B6100D,snow blower,rear blade,belly mower,dozer blade and rear ender buckket
Jan 26, 2010
Gibsonia,Penna.
Thank`s for the come back guys.I have a new 850 battery in place and the motor cranks over fine.I have not used the comp.release for fear of it sticking open.I am still leaning to a glow plug problem and will proabely just go ahead and change them.