Drive Train warranty,,, we pay 25%??

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I took a PU to a shop to get the oil changed. They advertised the price as $XX for oil filter and 5 quarts of oil. When I went to pay I asked them how much oil was put in the engine. It required 4, and they said 4. I asked why am I being charged for 5. The answers was it's standard practice, said it's "up to 5 quarts". I don't even have them fix tires now!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I agree, there never should have been any charge for anything covered under warranty.
That being said....

So.... what you're saying is; nuts, bolts, brakleen, roloc discs, oxygen, acetylene, C25, welding wire, plasma consumables, gum cutter, sealants, saw blades, grinding wheels, power brushes, drill bits, and all other small items used in an industrial setting.... are obtainable somewhere for free? And the customer shouldn't be paying for them? Please send me a truckload!

In the post about the motorcycle fork rebuild... how many cans of brakleen do you think weren't used cleaning out the cooked teflon crud in the bottom of those tubes? Have you ever seen it?

Auto repair industry standard is, parts markup keeps the doors open... utilities, insurance, taxes, equipment, etc. Hourly rate covers salaries, benefits, and profit. That's how the mass merchandisers calculate it.

And when is the last time you got any DMV service for free?

Scams? I don't work to break even...... Do you?

I must be missing something here.............
Shop supplies, heat, lighting. water are calculated into hourly rate. Some jobs use nothing more than a single rag, some use a can of brake clean. Though a can of brake clean (or brake fluid) should be listed as 'parts'. If the cost of doing business goes up, you increase the rate. You do not make it an 'add-on' expense like sales tax. These expenses are not something never paid for in the past. It is a new source of revenue. It is deceptive marketing.

"the estimate is $300. The bill is $300 but there is an additional 10% for shop supplies, 5% for tax and a 5% disposal fee (when in actuality, the used motor oil is sold to a re-refiner)....'

Do not get me started about dealers that add on shipping, prep, doc fees. When much of that is rebated back to the dealer by the manufacturer already.

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
I contacted Kubota and they told me today the warranty claim was approved. So that’s good news. Very happy with there support.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I contacted Kubota and they told me today the warranty claim was approved. So that’s good news. Very happy with there support.
That's good news...... It's just the s#!ts that some scoundrel dealer tied to work the warranty "Their Way".
I wonder how many owners that didn't go the extra mile like you did got screwed by this outfit? That's the kind of stuff that makes me mad!:mad:

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
That's good news...... It's just the s#!ts that some scoundrel dealer tied to work the warranty "Their Way".
I wonder how many owners that didn't go the extra mile like you did got screwed by this outfit? That's the kind of stuff that makes me mad!:mad:

After sitting in his office. Then talking to the owner again 3 times after, I’m glad I have another dealer the same distance away.

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
To my surprise my dealer called me today to tell me Kubota covered the warranty. I already knew this from talking directly to them.
The Owner went on to tell me that the repair was the $1087.00 and Kubota covered $577.00. He wanted me to split the rest of the bill at $250.00. He said this was a personal issue because I didn’t purchase the tractor from him.
I went on to say what he said to me and had later said to Kubota was 2 entirely different stories. He said that’s what happens when there’s a 3rd party involved.
I told him I can understand his losses on some warranty work and I’m on the fence on this.. I mentioned again how Kubota said it’s either all covered or not. He then finally said forget about the bill and we ever talked about it, that we would laugh about it in a few years. Wtf..

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I would find a new dealer. Warranty is warranty, manufacturer going to pay what they going to pay, I deal with it everyday, it sucks but it is what it is. No way you as a customer should pay any part of a bill for a repair under a factory warranty.

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I would find a new dealer. Warranty is warranty, manufacturer going to pay what they going to pay, I deal with it everyday, it sucks but it is what it is. No way you as a customer should pay any part of a bill for a repair under a factory warranty.
I agree 100% with Fordtech86. In 2013, I bought a new VW TDI wagon and sold it back 3 years later when they got caught lying about the emissions. To replace it, I bought for my wife a Certified Used 2014 Lexus RX350 from a dealer about 300 miles away. The car came with an extended full warranty. Well we needed to use the warranty and the closest Lexus dealer is 75 miles from me in Santa Barbara, Ca. I took the car in for a noise in the transmission. They gave me a 4,000 mile 2019 Lexus hybrid to drive home in as a loaner and worked 3 weeks correcting the trans issue. MY COSTS..... $0.00 This dealer treated me like I had bought a fleet of cars from them and didn't give a damn where I bought it. Warranty is Warranty. If this clown is a certified Kubota dealer, then he has to play by the rules of the manufacturer on warranty. FIND another dealer.
I have a certified Kubota dealer just about 10 miles away from me but they are a bunch of Jugheads. They do repair work, split tractors on a cobbled, dirty concrete floor with a lot of BIG Hammers. I drive 55 miles, one way or have parts delivered to my door for free from the dealer 55 miles away. GREAT people there.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
No, warranty is NOT just warranty....

I can see that about most of you haven't ever dealt directly with warranty (most brands/makes are the same way). Just because it gets approved doesn't mean that they'll actually pay for it, leaving the dealer high & dry, potentially for thousands of dollars (BTDT).

Now on this deal it almost sounds like they filed for "goodwill". That's not technically warranty. That's just goodwill and gets split 3 ways, dealer, customer, and Kubota.

Yes...it's pretty surprising when a warranty admin files for pre-approval (warranty), gets approval, the repair is then completed and the claim submitted for payment....a few days/weeks/months later (yes it can sometimes take months to get paid), they credit your account at 50% of the pre-approved cost....trust me, it happens ALL the time. JD was the worst. I take that back, no they weren't. Scag was. JD 2nd. Kubota isn't a whole lot better. Industry-wide, every single claim is paid at a different amount than what the dealer requests and/or is pre-approved for, thus warranty...is a loss of income in most cases. But the good thing is (at least for the techs) is that warranty flat rates actually can pay better than customer rate, so the tech stands to make a little more. I used to fight to get all the warranty jobs I could for that exact reason.

When I say they're paid at different amounts, the mfg warranty department will oftentimes deduct this or that, or some dealers get an incentive due to their status, whether it be training status or whatever. Premier dealers get a different incentive than plain "certified" dealers, etc etc. That is why training is so important to dealers....once a year we gotta send multiple people about 700 miles to a training deal, which is usually a week long. Dealer pays for everything, and it's expensive. At $90/night motel, gas, wages, travel costs, meals, lost productivity at the shop, etc--easy to fork out $1000+ for each person, but you get that back as long as the incentives are there for warranty reimbursement.

Warranty...is a pain in the backside, but a necessary one....If I ever decide to go back out on my own again, I ain't really wanting to deal with new equipment due to the warranty headaches...not after spending close to 3 decades dealing with it.

Some manufacturers tried to make it "easier" by integrating their warranty system in with the dealers' business systems. Sounds like it'd be easier, right? All web-based? WRONG....now they can see every time a tech clocks into and out of a job and for how long, so if they're clocked 0.5 hour for a job and the warranty flat rate is 1.0hr, they're only going to pay 0.5 hour. Or it can work the other way too, if tech spends 5.0 hours on a repair job and it only pays 2.5, the tech just lost 2.5 hrs of time. That is the much more common scenario. Then if the comments that are added to the R/O don't justify the actual repair, they won't pay you for it. If you don't use THEIR process, they won't pay. They've all gotten REAL strict about it, unnecessarily, IMO, and it trickles down to....the consumer (as always)-which I absolutely hate, but also understand WHY. Consumers have gotten accustomed to the automotive industry where they will just warranty about everything. Well having worked that industry too, much of it really isn't warranty; rather denied by manufacturer, comes out of dealer pockets. So does that loaner or courtesy car they "give you" while yours is down. That stuff ain't cheap, but who pays for it? You ever wonder why a pickup truck costs $50,000+ now???

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I said it before and I'll say it again, that dealer is a crook!

Find a better dealer!

He's a kubota dealer, dealers are required to do warranty service work for what warranty service work pays, period!

His whining and crying because you didn't buy it from him is a crock of BS!

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I TOTALLY agree /\ /\ with Wolfman. From my experience with Kubota dealers, mind you it is just my own experience, the one close to me, while a dedicated Kubota dealer and no other brands, just seems flaky and kinda half a$$ed run. If I had a new tractor, which I don't, but needed warranty work, I'd trailer my tractor the 55+ miles one way to use the dealer in Santa Maria, Ca. I buy all my Kubota parts from the Santa Maria dealer.
Again with the certified used Lexus we bought, I had the choice of two dealers, both about the same distance. I asked people I saw around my home town which dealer they used and their thoughts. Hands down, most all recommended the dealer in Santa Barbara, Ca. So that't the one I used and we were treated outstandingly!
Warranty work doesn't pay well but the dealer is betting that the good service they give you on a warranty job, even if you didn't buy from them, will bring you back for retail parts and hopefully a new or used tractor the next time you buy.
My$0.02 worth.

Last edited:

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
I said it before and I'll say it again, that dealer is a crook!

Find a better dealer!

He's a kubota dealer, dealers are required to do warranty service work for what warranty service work pays, period!

His whining and crying because you didn't buy it from him is a crock of BS!
While he was asking if he should email me the bill for $250.00 ,I was thinking “sure” and I would send it to Kubota. And then I thought ,, I’m just done and over this.