Brand New to Tractors!!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Re: First day on my kubota

Many of the questions you are asking regarding engaging PTO and when to Grease are ALL in the owners manual for the L3301. I would suggest you take some time and really go through the owners manual. You will learn a lot about your machine when you've finished reading it and looking at the picture illustrations.

After youve read the owners manual thoroughly, id suggest you go search around on youtube. You will find tons of videos of interest to you with your exact model tractor. Watch people using it, performing various jobs on their property, doing various service and maintenance tasks to the tractor, etc etc. Just absorb everything you see on youtube from experienced tractor owner channels - there are lots of them.

malenurse13

Equipment
Kubota L3301 with Front Loader and Rotary Cutter
Jun 7, 2019
Vivian, LA
Unfortunately, Youtube doesn't have any videos with a gear driven (standard) L3301. Not even one... :(

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I bought the 33hp because my friends and neighbors all said 25hp would not be enough for my property.
That's what happens when friends spend your money.
You have a great tractor.....most likely more than you need but......
at least your friends are happy.

keithcoady

Equipment
Kubota B7800 60 inch mmm, 60 inch normand blower, and 60 inch blade
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Go on youtube and watch some rollover videos - not trying to put any fear in you but it was one of the most useful things I did. It's surprising how tippy these tractors can be.

As was already noted you don't want to be traveling sideways on hills or anything steep. The "pucker" factor will come into play as well as the "oh shit" handles :) That's when you know you're getting into unsafe territory.

Keep your bucket as low as you can especially when you have a load in it.

Having said that, you'll be surprised at how much more daring you'll become once you get lots of seat time but keep safety first a priority.

Enjoy your tractor it's an awesome looking machine.

And read and use this forum - there is an absolute wealth of info here and the members willingness to share their knowledge is exceptional.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The primary purpose of my tractors is to mow steep slopes with a flail mower. They operate almost exclusively on side hills. When I start next week, this will be the 5th year in a row I have mowed this 30 acre property on all sidehill. I have done it with a variety of machines, including a B2920, an L4310, and an MX4800. I just replaced my B2920 with an L2501 so that machine will also be used this year.

Many people caution against side hills, but here is the advice I have:

1.) Driving up and down is safer...do it if you can...but not always an option or practical.

2.) Go slow. If you drop into a hole, higher speed makes it a lot easier for the tractor to tip over. Going slower also gives you more time to stop if you feel like a rollover is imminent.

3.) If a rollover is imminent, or a wheel starts to lift, turn sharply downhill immediately. Many people turn uphill because that feels more natural, but it also will help complete the rollover.

4.) Take turns very slowly

5.) HST tractors are the best for slopes, because you can modulate speed extremely well

6.) Keep your 4x4 engaged

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
Mowed the side hills of my pasture last weekend. 5 foot brush hog behind MX5100 with loaded tires.
Grass about 3 foot tall. Pasture is like a big bowl, there's about a couple acres of flat in the bottom, the sides go up for maybe 30 to 40 yards. angle maybe as high as 30 degrees. What I did was backed straight up the sides in 4wd of course slowly in low gear at pto rpms. HST drive on tractor. when I reached the top I slowly moved over on a slight angle till i could make another pass down taking another 5 foot wide cut, them move over and back up. This worked pretty well for me. I suppose i could have went straight up forward and backing down in reverse but I didn't and backing up the I could get as close to the top of the bowl with the mower. Seemed to make sense to me and i'm still alive. The more i did it the more comfortable I was but never got real comfortable.
First time mowing the side hills for me. Its a little scary for me for sure. Don't think I'd ever try mowing it side ways. Had seat belt on the whole time and that's a must to keep me in the saddle not to mention if i did roll it I might survive!
If there are any other Ideas on how to mow this bowl I'd like to hear from you guys also.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'd start at the bottom and then take the first pass on the sidehill all the way around the bowl, reaching 5 feet higher after each pass, like a spiral, until you reach the top. Just take it slow and easy. It might be that the angle of the first pass right at the bottom is just as great as the angle at the top, but you feel more scared at the top because there is a lot more hill to fall down. However, if it doesn't tip at the bottom it won't tip at the top.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Just saw this as I was up in the Ozarks all last week where I had no internet or tv, peaceful place.
Welcome , we are nearly neighbors lol. I used to spend many a day over on Caddo trying to catch the big one.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd start at the bottom and then take the first pass on the sidehill all the way around the bowl, reaching 5 feet higher after each pass, like a spiral, until you reach the top. Just take it slow and easy. It might be that the angle of the first pass right at the bottom is just as great as the angle at the top, but you feel more scared at the top because there is a lot more hill to fall down. However, if it doesn't tip at the bottom it won't tip at the top.
All this information is true, but can change quickly if you ever have a front tire drop into a hole a rodent dug since your last time mowing!

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Always operate with the ROPs up and all 4 wheels down. Use seat belt on side hills or slopes.
Go SLOW until you get a feel for everything. You don't need speed. (I watched a neighbor wreck a loader frame by using his tractor to ram posts loose) Let the machine do the work.
Maintenance-all fluids and grease points etc.
Engage your rear cutter PTO at idle and ease it up to operating speed (usually 540rpm at the PTO will be indicated on your tach.
Enjoy and Welcome to the forum!
(the secret handshake comes later)

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Go on the internet and look up asktractormike.com he has several dozen YouTube videos that are meant for people like you. If you didn’t grow up on a farm, like most of us, where do you get the information you need. This is the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk